• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

FSc Or Alevels???????.Help NEEDED

What do u think is better to do after Olevels...if u wanna keep ur options for both Medical and Engi

• Total voters
Reaction score
i am doing engineering from UMT and honestly i was surprised! the system here was A-level type.no ratta! nothing! on the other hand one of my friends is in NUST and she constantly complains about the ratta system.she is having a hard time adjusting. so i guess i am lucky to where i am now ;)
LUMS has no ratta system although medical colleges have full ratta system. not sure about the other universities
U sure are lucky :) Don't live in Lahore or I would have gone to Lums or UMT.. I guess I'll be stuck in NED :/

Reaction score
Well i m appearing for may/june 2013 for the rest of my five subs.Now the point is that i m stuck in the same situation. I am not able to conclude but certainly this is crystal clear that A levels is a better option according to my perception.It drives u to a better understanding of knowledge rather than cramming .This is one of the significant aspects of favoring A levels.Yet, the greatest problem emerges ,certainly,when it is not possible for me to go abroad for higher education.Although here i can manage to be a part of one of the private unis like NUST , FAST or SZABIST ets ....
However my father want me to go for Fsc inter on the basis of NED uni only .I am extremely anxious that if i wont be able to meet the requirements of it than what will be next! If i would have to seek these private universities onwards than why not follow a clear, smooth and efficient path for them?
Moreover, a levels being an internationally recognized degree , is surely gonna boon my job .
Please help me for driving out a better solution !

Reaction score
I want to take engineering in future and I plan to do A-levels (CIE)
I am worried about the subjects I should take next year
I plan to take maths & physics but My third subject is a problem
I am stuck between AICT and Chemistry
In my school The Chemistry was of zero level and therefore I am not sure about it Also I am really good at computers but I love both but i want only 3 subjects
Please tell whether I should go for AICT or Chemistry
I love both and have scored quite well but I know my chemistry is not up to the mark
ALSO pls tell why u think so
Also I want to know more about CIE maths and Exdecel maths in a level in detail
Thanks

-shoaib672002

Reaction score
I want to take engineering in future and I plan to do A-levels (CIE)
I am worried about the subjects I should take next year
I plan to take maths & physics but My third subject is a problem
I am stuck between AICT and Chemistry
In my school The Chemistry was of zero level and therefore I am not sure about it Also I am really good at computers but I love both but i want only 3 subjects
Please tell whether I should go for AICT or Chemistry
I love both and have scored quite well but I know my chemistry is not up to the mark
ALSO pls tell why u think so
Also I want to know more about CIE maths and Exdecel maths in a level in detail
Thanks

-shoaib672002
Hey man, nice to see you here!
If you're pursuing Engineering, Chemistry is a necessity :)
AICT does not help you in Engineering.
Aren't you taking English? If you go abroad, that subject is required...
CIE and Edexcel differ very little in content.

Reaction score
Hey man, nice to see you here!
If you're pursuing Engineering, Chemistry is a necessity :)
AICT does not help you in Engineering.
Aren't you taking English? If you go abroad, that subject is required...
CIE and Edexcel differ very little in content.
English is needed in A levels ???? when u go abroad i thought u only needed tofel or ielts thingy o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Reaction score
English is needed in A levels ???? when u go abroad i thought u only needed tofel or ielts thingy o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
IELTS is needed, but most universities abroad (particularly the ones in the US) strongly recommend 4 years of studying English. IELTS is essentially made easier when you study A-level English. If you don't want to study advanced English, like English Language, you can take English Language and Literature, which takes a little bit of both from 2 areas, but not too much, making it easier.

Reaction score
IELTS is needed, but most universities abroad (particularly the ones in the US) strongly recommend 4 years of studying English. IELTS is essentially made easier when you study A-level English. If you don't want to study advanced English, like English Language, you can take English Language and Literature, which takes a little bit of both from 2 areas, but not too much, making it easier.
Thanks bro i just realised the guniea pig made u sooo smart and cool

Reaction score
Salam

Emmm... it depends on many things. For MCAT, the test is based on combined syllabus of fsc and alevels. Some parts of fsc has been omitted but paper is 220 mcqs of english, chem, bio, phy. The paper is closer to fsc than alevels, but alevel students have better understanding of concepts. There are somethings jinka ratta hai, like name of scientist who did that, in what year did this happen etc. Some extra topics in MCAT which arent in alevels, but are in fsc. I have seen people from a levels get admission into top 3 medical colleges in punjab from my school, so it aint impossible. You can do an academy for MCAT after alevels like KIPS (which many fsc students also do take). Self-prepare sei bhee admission hojata hai lekin people prefer KIPS etc (routine ban jatey hai and teacher kei explanations are helpful, less risky approach than self-prepare)

As far as the degree is concerned, alevels is internationally recognized, you can apply to USA (with SAT1 and SAT2), UK, Singapore, Hong Kong, Cananda etc for your university education (CANT DO that with fsc unless you complete your bachelors like MBBS and then pass foreign exams like USMLE). A levels is expensive as you will know.

and lets be just honest, ALEVEL IS EASIER THAN FSC, YOU ARE TESTED FOR YOUR CONCEPTS NOT YOUR RATTA. You dont have to study english, urdu etc. It your choice, in fsc you have to

You need at least at least all A's in o levels for these 8 subjects phy,chem,bio,math,eng,urdu,pakst,islamiat to have a good olevel equivalence. Equivalence is made of olevels and alevels, so as to level you with matric and fsc. O/A level are at disadvantage with others here because your maximum equivalence is 90%, if you have all A*. A* has 90% score, A at 85% dont know about B's or C's. So suppose you get 7A* and an 1A in these 8 sujects, so your weightage is [(7*0.9)+(1*.85)] whole divided by 8 and multiplied by 100%, that is 89.375%. If you gave these subjects in two session then minus 1.5%.

Not to worry much as MCAT wieghtage in your total score is 50%, alevel equivalence 40% and olevel equivalence 10%. So if you ace your mcat, you have a very good chance of getting into a good government medical college

Your max total score can be (50% from mcat), (40*0.9 = 36% from a levels) and (10*0.9 = 9%) ====95% Usually to get into a good government medical college you need 86% or so, you can achieve max 95%

If you have any other question, please do ask!

so i am in danger....?
i took IGCSE and AS/AL....i got 1 A 3B and 2C.....And my AS exams very difficult...maybe i might get B's and C's...so i cant go for medical? :(

Reaction score
AoA!
I would go straight to the point and suggest you to go for 'A levels'. My reasons for suggesting to opt for 'A levels' are the following:
-Cambridge Students are confident, they know the concepts rather then ratify the knowledge from the text books, this helps in later part of life.
-A level courses enhance the ability to research and to work independently. These abilities help one in 'universities'.
-There are very less chances of 'unfair' treatment of your work, when appearing for A levels papers. The papers are rather more confidential, and are checked fairly, while FSc Of course, includes 'pakistani examiner' who uses the idea of 'favoratism' while 'checking' or 'making' the papers.
-Finally, as you pointed out that you're a 'medical' student, please note that Cambridge qualifications are accepted 'globally' including the 'top' universities of 'Pakistan' as well. These universities include, 'Aga Khan University' which is ranked amongst number 'one' medical university of Pakistan. More students, who do A levels are accepted here, rather those appearing for FSc.

i got 1A 3B and 2C in I.G.C.S.E
and i gave my AS exams...which were difficult though....i might get 2 B and 1C...... so will the Pakistani Agha Uni accept me for medical? or should i go for some other field?
my subjects are physics,chemistry,biology
thank you