• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

FSc Or Alevels???????.Help NEEDED

What do u think is better to do after Olevels...if u wanna keep ur options for both Medical and Engi

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey guys I just did my Olevels and now I am confused wat to do further if I wanna go for Medical and side by side also want to keep my option for Engineering open.Cuz some ppl say that F.Sc is rattafication nd quite difficult after Olevels and I cant really ratafy stuff while on the odr hand some ppl say that Alevels is quite difficult to do than FSc...Till yet I got a really gud result MashAllah for the 3 subjects I gave last year.So plz Ill be looking forward to ur help.

Reaction score
Salam

Emmm... it depends on many things. For MCAT, the test is based on combined syllabus of fsc and alevels. Some parts of fsc has been omitted but paper is 220 mcqs of english, chem, bio, phy. The paper is closer to fsc than alevels, but alevel students have better understanding of concepts. There are somethings jinka ratta hai, like name of scientist who did that, in what year did this happen etc. Some extra topics in MCAT which arent in alevels, but are in fsc. I have seen people from a levels get admission into top 3 medical colleges in punjab from my school, so it aint impossible. You can do an academy for MCAT after alevels like KIPS (which many fsc students also do take). Self-prepare sei bhee admission hojata hai lekin people prefer KIPS etc (routine ban jatey hai and teacher kei explanations are helpful, less risky approach than self-prepare)

As far as the degree is concerned, alevels is internationally recognized, you can apply to USA (with SAT1 and SAT2), UK, Singapore, Hong Kong, Cananda etc for your university education (CANT DO that with fsc unless you complete your bachelors like MBBS and then pass foreign exams like USMLE). A levels is expensive as you will know.

and lets be just honest, ALEVEL IS EASIER THAN FSC, YOU ARE TESTED FOR YOUR CONCEPTS NOT YOUR RATTA. You dont have to study english, urdu etc. It your choice, in fsc you have to

You need at least at least all A's in o levels for these 8 subjects phy,chem,bio,math,eng,urdu,pakst,islamiat to have a good olevel equivalence. Equivalence is made of olevels and alevels, so as to level you with matric and fsc. O/A level are at disadvantage with others here because your maximum equivalence is 90%, if you have all A*. A* has 90% score, A at 85% dont know about B's or C's. So suppose you get 7A* and an 1A in these 8 sujects, so your weightage is [(7*0.9)+(1*.85)] whole divided by 8 and multiplied by 100%, that is 89.375%. If you gave these subjects in two session then minus 1.5%.

Not to worry much as MCAT wieghtage in your total score is 50%, alevel equivalence 40% and olevel equivalence 10%. So if you ace your mcat, you have a very good chance of getting into a good government medical college

Your max total score can be (50% from mcat), (40*0.9 = 36% from a levels) and (10*0.9 = 9%) ====95% Usually to get into a good government medical college you need 86% or so, you can achieve max 95%

If you have any other question, please do ask!

Reaction score
as for the MCAT, you have 220 mcqs in 150 minutes

Each correct gives you 5 marks, each wrong gives you -1, while an unanswered mcq gives a zero. So you have negative marking

Reaction score
Hey guys I just did my Olevels and now I am confused wat to do further if I wanna go for Medical and side by side also want to keep my option for Engineering open.Cuz some ppl say that F.Sc is rattafication nd quite difficult after Olevels and I cant really ratafy stuff while on the odr hand some ppl say that Alevels is quite difficult to do than FSc...Till yet I got a really gud result MashAllah for the 3 subjects I gave last year.So plz Ill be looking forward to ur help.
It depends where you want to go after A level/ Fsc too. If you want to stay in Pakistan, then I think Fs.c is better but if you want to go out of the country right after that, then maybe A level is better. I find inter easier than A level though, and I might do it after A level due to some personal reasons. :|
And Fs.c has more seats in Pakistani universities in engineering mostly. That's why people say, if you want to stay in Pakistan and do engineering, A level is a big trap for it. :|
But since I did A level myself, I'm not going to tell you to do something else, but what I wrote above is what I think . :|

Reaction score
AoA!
I would go straight to the point and suggest you to go for 'A levels'. My reasons for suggesting to opt for 'A levels' are the following:
-Cambridge Students are confident, they know the concepts rather then ratify the knowledge from the text books, this helps in later part of life.
-A level courses enhance the ability to research and to work independently. These abilities help one in 'universities'.
-There are very less chances of 'unfair' treatment of your work, when appearing for A levels papers. The papers are rather more confidential, and are checked fairly, while FSc Of course, includes 'pakistani examiner' who uses the idea of 'favoratism' while 'checking' or 'making' the papers.
-Finally, as you pointed out that you're a 'medical' student, please note that Cambridge qualifications are accepted 'globally' including the 'top' universities of 'Pakistan' as well. These universities include, 'Aga Khan University' which is ranked amongst number 'one' medical university of Pakistan. More students, who do A levels are accepted here, rather those appearing for FSc.

Reaction score
AoA!
I would go straight to the point and suggest you to go for 'A levels'. My reasons for suggesting to opt for 'A levels' are the following:
-Cambridge Students are confident, they know the concepts rather then ratify the knowledge from the text books, this helps in later part of life.
-A level courses enhance the ability to research and to work independently. These abilities help one in 'universities'.
-There are very less chances of 'unfair' treatment of your work, when appearing for A levels papers. The papers are rather more confidential, and are checked fairly, while FSc Of course, includes 'pakistani examiner' who uses the idea of 'favoratism' while 'checking' or 'making' the papers.
-Finally, as you pointed out that you're a 'medical' student, please note that Cambridge qualifications are accepted 'globally' including the 'top' universities of 'Pakistan' as well. These universities include, 'Aga Khan University' which is ranked amongst number 'one' medical university of Pakistan. More students, who do A levels are accepted here, rather those appearing for FSc.
nice info. but AK top university?? wasn't it DOW ?? :|
just asking as a matter of interest...

Reaction score
Thankyou people :D anwar2400 , Mustehssun Iqbal and SalmanPakRocks ...
BUT I've heard that people don't usually get straight A*s in Alevels....so here isnt it a disadvantage??? Is it easy to get straight A*s in Alevels?...I mean Allah na karay agar banday kay 3 A*s say thray kam ayeein tou banda wohin par stuck kar jaye ga and this freaks me out :eek:

Reaction score
all sciences have 270 total marks

For A* you need:
Phy 186 around
Bio 210
Chem 200

MCAT has 50% weightage, so not all is lost, even if you get 3A's and not 3A*
with 3A's your score from 40% would be 34%
will 3A* it would be 36%

Reaction score
BUT I've heard that people don't usually get straight A*s in Alevels....so here isnt it a disadvantage??? Is it easy to get straight A*s in Alevels?...I mean Allah na karay agar banday kay 3 A*s say thray kam ayeein tou banda wohin par stuck kar jaye ga and this freaks me out :eek:
A* se kam aye to banda stuck hojata hai, are you kidding me?? :|
sometimes even NED takes people with straight Bs... but it's one of the exceptional cases, but it happens sometimes...
i don't know the requirements of universities out of Pakistan, maybe if you're aiming for MIT , I don't know about those ... but in Pakistan it's like this... Straight As equivalence means NED criteria is achieved. and NED might be the most demanding engineering university in Pakistan in terms of grade... In inter, students get 80% but in A level the equivalence falls / decreases, I have heard...
you're welcome... :)

Reaction score
First of all, getting A*'s is 'not' impossible, however I don't think A*'s are required. They take in students with A's and B's too. And yes, It's hard, A levels is hard but yet again, if we work hard, A's are easily reachable. :)

Reaction score
Yeah u guys r right :| So this means if I do Alevels I have to do or die.... and work really really hard for straight A*s :D

Reaction score
Yeah u guys r right :| So this means if I do Alevels I have to do or die.... and work really really hard for straight A*s :D
Well yeah, I would suggest you to go for A levels, however, if you think you want less burden and you can easily ratify stuff then go for FSc. But then, there is always a drawback that students rather buy the papers and your hardwork would not count.

Reaction score
Well yeah, I would suggest you to go for A levels, however, if you think you want less burden and you can easily ratify stuff then go for FSc. But then, there is always a drawback that students rather buy the papers and your hardwork would not count.
um yeah ur right :/

Reaction score
I AM GONNA GIVE YOU AN HONEST ADVICE..PLEASE GO FOR FSC,,i did a levels..i am giving entry test, they all are based on fsc,,,,,no faida of doing alevel..TRUST ME (I REGRET MY DECISION OF DOING A LEVELS,FSC MATHS IS SO DIFFERENT FROM A LEVELS)..I AM SUFFERING A LOT

Reaction score
I AM GONNA GIVE YOU AN HONEST ADVICE..PLEASE GO FOR FSC,,i did a levels..i am giving entry test, they all are based on fsc,,,,,no faida of doing alevel..TRUST ME (I REGRET MY DECISION OF DOING A LEVELS,FSC MATHS IS SO DIFFERENT FROM A LEVELS)..I AM SUFFERING A LOT
Trust me, you would have suffered more if you did FSc. You'll be glad you did A levels when you would get into professional life.

P.S: don't write in block letter's it's not allowed.

Reaction score
Trust me, you would have suffered more if you did FSc. You'll be glad you did A levels when you would get into professional life.
my merit for giki is 3626..(got rejected)...btw i got into lums,didnt go becauz they didn't offer me financial aid.:cry: ..do u really think i will get into nust? i regret my decision of doin alevels:(

Reaction score
my merit for giki is 3626..(got rejected)...btw i got into lums,didnt go becauz they didn't offer me financial aid.:cry: ..do u really think i will get into nust? i regret my decision of doin alevels:(
Don't be disheartened. Insha'Allah try in Nust and you'll get in.
Don't regret it, be proud that you choosed the system of good education instead of merely rattifying all of the contents while doing FSc.