• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I don't understand why making this equation? shouldn't we make the anode cathode equations? :S
Hmm.. why wouldn't you want to make use of the supplied info that reactants are brine (NaOH + H2O) and products are NaOH, H2 and Cl2?

If you were to create your own cathode /anode equations, what did you end up with?

Reaction score
Generally ,

heat released during neutralization = heat used to raise temperature of solution

moles of water formed x heat of neutralization = mass of solution x heat capacity of solution x temperature change

From expt 1,
(0.05) x heat of neutralization = 100 x heat capacity of solution x temperature change of expt 1

From expt 2,
(0.1) x heat of neutralization = 200 x heat capacity of solution x temperature change of expt 2

Take the eqn 2 and divide it by eqn 1

(0.1) x heat of neutralization ..........200 x heat capacity of solution x temperature change of expt 2
--------------------------------- =.... -----------------------------------------------------------------------
(0.05) x heat of neutralization .......100 x heat capacity of solution x temperature change of expt 1

You will end up with,
temp change of expt 1 = temp change of expt 2

Thanks alot
one more question,^ this thing applies for this Example because molar ratio of reactant to product is 1:1? or does it always apply when the same reaction is repeated but with different volumes of reactants? + the formula i.e heat capacity of solution x temperature change * mass gives heat change for 1 mole?

Reaction score
n
Hmm.. why wouldn't you want to make use of the supplied info that reactants are brine (NaOH + H2O) and products are NaOH, H2 and Cl2?

If you were to create your own cathode /anode equations, what did you end up with?
Umm I couldn't do it :p

Reaction score
for this question part b ii Marking scheme doesn't mention Kmno4, I don't understand why? Alcohols do react with kmn04 to give carboxylic acid right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
for this question part b ii Marking scheme doesn't mention Kmno4, I don't understand why? Alcohols do react with kmn04 to give carboxylic acid right?
Actually, acidified sodium/potassium dichromate is used for oxidation of alcohols. Because, KMnO4 especially acidified KMnO4 is a very powerful oxidising agent, and it can even break carboon-carbon bonds. So, dichromate solution is used for oxidation of alcohols. Though CIE uses KMnO4 in a number of mark schemes and question papers, but it is better to be on a safe side , by writing K2Cr2O7.

Reaction score
Thanks alot
one more question,^ this thing applies for this Example because molar ratio of reactant to product is 1:1? or does it always apply when the same reaction is repeated but with different volumes of reactants? + the formula i.e heat capacity of solution x temperature change * mass gives heat change for 1 mole?

The equation: moles of water formed x heat of neutralization = mass of solution x heat capacity of solution x temperature change

Can be used with different volumes, concentrations and reactants, it is not necessary that the molar ratio of reactant to water is 1:1.

For different concentrations and volumes of acids + alkali , what is important is to use mole concepts to find out the moles of limiting reactant (which could either be the acid or alkali), this will determine the moles of water that would be formed.

For example
Mixing 40cm3 of 0.1 mol/dm3 of H2SO4 with 100cm3 of 0.1 mol/dm3 NaOH

H2SO4 + 2NaOH --> Na2SO4 + 2H2O
1) work out that there is 0.04 mol of H2SO4 and 0.1 mol of NaoH
2) work out that the H2SO4 is the limiting reactant (0.04 mol)
3) work that therefore, 0.08 mol of water would be formed.

moles of water formed x heat of neutralization = mass of solution x heat capacity of solution x temperature change
0.08 x heat of neutralization = 140 x heat capacity of solution x temperature change

Once you have the mole of water formed, then you can use the equation
n

Umm I couldn't do it :p

For this question, you do not have to do it. I will show you how it could be done for discussion sake.

Cathode:
2H2O + 2e- -> H2 + 2OH-

Anode
2Cl- --> Cl2 + 2e-

Merging cathode and anode reaction:
2Cl- + 2H2O --> H2 + Cl2 + 2OH-

Tidying up to include sodium on both sides:
2Na+ + 2Cl- + 2H2O --> H2 + Cl2 + 2Na+ + 2OH-

Which gives us the balance equation hinted by the question:
Brine --> hydrogen + chlorine + sodium hydroxide
2NaCl + 2H2O --> Cl2 + H2 + 2NaOH

Last edited:
Reaction score
The equation: moles of water formed x heat of neutralization = mass of solution x heat capacity of solution x temperature change

Can be used with different volumes, concentrations and reactants, it is not necessary that the molar ratio of reactant to water is 1:1.

For different concentrations and volumes of acids + alkali , what is important is to use mole concepts to find out the moles of limiting reactant (which could either be the acid or alkali), this will determine the moles of water that would be formed.

For example
Mixing 40cm3 of 0.1 mol/dm3 of H2SO4 with 100cm3 of 0.1 mol/dm3 NaOH

H2SO4 + 2NaOH --> Na2SO4 + 2H2O
1) work out that there is 0.04 mol of H2SO4 and 0.1 mol of NaoH
2) work out that the H2SO4 is the limiting reactant (0.04 mol)
3) work that therefore, 0.08 mol of water would be formed.

0.08 x heat of neutralization = 140 x heat capacity of solution x temperature change

Once you have the mole of water formed, then you can use the equation

For this question, you do not have to do it. I will show you how it could be done for discussion sake.

Cathode:
2H2O + 2e- -> H2 + 2OH-

Anode
2Cl- --> Cl2 + 2e-

Merging cathode and anode reaction:
2Cl- + 2H2O --> H2 + Cl2 + 2OH-

Tidying up to include sodium on both sides:
2Na+ + 2Cl- + 2H2O --> H2 + Cl2 + 2Na+ + 2OH-

Which gives us the balance equation hinted by the question:
Brine --> hydrogen + chlorine + sodium hydroxide
2NaCl + 2H2O --> Cl2 + H2 + 2NaOH
thanks
I'm assuming the equation i.e heat of neutralization = mass * .. is for 1 mole of water only right

Reaction score
thanks
I'm assuming the equation i.e heat of neutralization = mass * .. is for 1 mole of water only right
Hmm...yes. because simply,
1 x heat of neutralization = mass x specific heat capacity x temp rise

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is the answer A
I got it since Nickel in the presence of hydrogen can reduce C=O as well as C=C
over here we have got a total of 3 double bonds and one bond breaks to form to sigma bonds mean there should be 6 new atoms attached.
1 mole = H2
so just assuming hydrogen atoms add on C=O
since there is space for one moremole so it will get attached on C=C
now on the last double bond
1 mole of Br2 gets attached
since the answer i got is 2 & 1
so nearest to it is A

Reaction score
Is the answer A
over here we have got a total of 3 double bonds and one bond breaks to form to sigma bonds mean there should be 6 new atoms attached.
1 mole = H2
so nearest to it is A
I think you misunderstood the question.

They are asking how many moles of H2 and Br2 for separate experiments.

H2 in nickel does not reduce COOH groups.

Also, if you do get a solution that is none of the 4 options, it's an indication of being wrong, do not simply choose the nearest correct answer,

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood the question.

They are asking how many moles of H2 and Br2 for separate experiments.

H2 in nickel does not reduce COOH groups.

Also, if you do get a solution that is none of the 4 options, it's an indication of being wrong, do not simply choose the nearest correct answer,
Oops but Nickel in the presence of hydrogen can reduce C=O as well as C=C right?

Reaction score
One H2 adds across each C=C bonds, same reasoning for Br2.

So 2 moles for both.

Which years are these from?
Okay...Answer is A
I don't know I'm solving these from the classified ones I found online ignore question 10 can you help in quetsion 9 and 11 ?
Please and thank you
Is the answer A
1 mole = H2
so nearest to it is A
Yes answer is A

My brain feels blocked!