• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Career and University Counselling (all careers, US,UK,Canadian, Pak universities)

Reaction score
You should always apply to make sure but as far as A levels are concerned you should have at least 3 As in major subjects like phy, chem, maths. Admission starts in november and deadlines are in late february.

what is the scope of chemical engineering? Would you recommend Electrical or Chemical keeping in mind the job availability etc?

Reaction score
With electrical you have more scope geographically meaning you can work it out well in various parts of the world. Chemical engineering on the other hand is paid higher but its real scope is in North America.

Reaction score
If I study physics or mechanical engineering in undergraduate level can I do postgraduate in computer science or electrical engineering? Do oxford accept a level given in gap year???

Reaction score
Hi Zohaib, I m from Brunei. May I know what lucrative jobs I have with my subject combination: physics, chemistry, economics, math and general paper? I m undecided, thanks a lot bro.

Reaction score
Should I go for genetic engineering?
I am confused because many ppl are against this field at least that's what I think :/
Are there any Islamic issues concerned? (I even want ur advice badrobot14)
Yes (but in western universities, which are pioneers in it)
my biology teacher was actually a genetic engineer in USA. Not all of genetic engineering is bad. Although be warned that playing genes is potentially dangerous and trying to invent new organisms

BUT there are many good fields of bionengineering/genetic engineering. For example, human insulin is produced by modified bacteria and is used by diabetic patients. Previously, pig insulin was used (it was also not as effective as human insulin). Now with genetically modified bacteria produced insulin is used everywhere

Scientists are also trying to use genetic engineering to insert right genes into windpipes of patients, who suffer from a chloride ion channel protein problem in cystic fibrosis. Furthermore, many enzymes used in forensic (criminal investigations to test and identify DNA were actually discovered when working with bacteria and viruses. These Ecor1 proteins are used by bacteria to protect themselves against viruses)

Infact, genetic engineering to an extent help us experiment with bacterial DNA and codes, to help us study the lifecycle of viruses and how they infect humans etc

So its a very diverse field. What you should NOT do, is to engage in experiments which serve to alter God's creations. If you want to help restore His creations to better conditions from a disease, then that aint bad

Holy Quran says
"And I will mislead them, and I will arouse in them [sinful] desires, and I will command them so they will slit the ears of cattle, and I will command them so they will change the creation of Allah ." And whoever takes Satan as an ally instead of Allah has certainly sustained a clear loss. Satan promises them and arouses desire in them. But Satan does not promise them except delusion."
4:119-120

Reaction score
Have any related queries? Please let it out here for guidance

->University admissions
-> Subject selection
-> Career selection
Can you please tell me the total annual cost (including living expenses, tuition fees, food and everything else) of studying Computer Science in Oxford university? Give the amount in Us $. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Thanks in advance but I have been really confused. I'm almost done with my O levels and I need to know which subjects to take for my A level. I love chemistry and designing and I've been searching for a university which has this combination or at least any one of them. If anyone knows which university would work for me please do help me :) Thanks a bunch!

Reaction score
Salams!! Unfortunately I haven't taken chem in my A levels, but I do have bio and maths, is there any career/field I can go into with these subjects??

Reaction score
Salams!! Unfortunately I haven't taken chem in my A levels, but I do have bio and maths, is there any career/field I can go into with these subjects??

Wsalam, I would advise you to take chemistry to increase your options. Otherwise you can apply to BSc Biology or to management degrees like BSc Economics, BBA. Maths and pure sciences are a good preparation for BSc Economics

Reaction score
the work you are doin Bro. IS FABULOUS.may God bless you.
i want to ask that not all but some universities even Cambridge kinda comes into my grade range. but thing is can i afford the tutuion fees. and expenses there. by working to pay for them, i have done my o level studies on my own(without teacher) and that is why i have studied every thing very deeply and might get suited in good organizations. as i have done it all hard. (no spoon feeding).
but due to home-schooling and lack of teacher's exam skills etc. even though i am extremely expert at my subjects . but i do not expect very good grades. so no chance of scholarship..

is there any chance for me to study in good uni..

( i had remained a topper in my local metric board but well. suddenly get into O level. when i haven't even done my 8 grade. since then i have left school. and since past 2 years.each year i gave 3 subjects of O level that i study on my own. without any teacher or school as my family can't afford it. and so if i want to get into any international foreign university the only way for me is to somehow get job and pay for it too.)
can the struggle be considered?

Reaction score
Job usually doesn't pay the full amount of tuition, you should give SAT when you are doing A levels, score high and apply to the USA for financial aid
Cambridge also has a scholarship for Pakistan 800th anniversary scholarship to which you can apply once you have done A levels

Reaction score
Apart from good grades and extra curriculars (let me tell you dozens of people have them these days).

Distinctions, recommendation letters (if they are biased in your favour the better it is, so go to a school that has a history of sending students to ivy leagues)
great SAT scores

Getting into IVY's is more of an application game once you have the grades and extra curriculars so school plays a big role in that

Reaction score
Have any related queries? Please let it out here for guidance

->University admissions
-> Subject selection
-> Career selection
Hi.. I see that your a generous member of the forum and hope that you will provide guidance ...
i'm about to complete my A levels and my career matters to me more then anything else (i'm sure its the same for others as well)..
with my subjects i could opt for either medicine or engineering... i'm good at maths, but my interest is in Biology and medicine...
so i'v decided to complete MBBS here from Pakistan and for further specialization (for example Cardiology) i'v decided to somehow apply abroad like in the US....
is this a wise and good option keeping in mind the competition and selection pressure in the field?
please help me out on this or tell me other alternatives to what i'v yet decided...
Thanks...

Reaction score
Hi.. I see that your a generous member of the forum and hope that you will provide guidance ...
i'm about to complete my A levels and my career matters to me more then anything else (i'm sure its the same for others as well)..
with my subjects i could opt for either medicine or engineering... i'm good at maths, but my interest is in Biology and medicine...
so i'v decided to complete MBBS here from Pakistan and for further specialization (for example Cardiology) i'v decided to somehow apply abroad like in the US....
is this a wise and good option keeping in mind the competition and selection pressure in the field?
please help me out on this or tell me other alternatives to what i'v yet decided...
Thanks...

At present you should focus on getting into MBBS, the other things become more clear as time progresses and one experiences realities and life so too much long term planning can be damaging.

As far as competition is concerned, yes it is ridiculously getting competitive and not just competitive, the rules regarding practise of medicine here in North America are becoming very strict making life a lot hard

Reaction score
Straight As in O levels, Straight As in AS level (at least in 4 subjects), distinctions help too, predicted 3 As at A2 level

Reaction score
At present you should focus on getting into MBBS, the other things become more clear as time progresses and one experiences realities and life so too much long term planning can be damaging.

As far as competition is concerned, yes it is ridiculously getting competitive and not just competitive, the rules regarding practise of medicine here in North America are becoming very strict making life a lot hard
i'll keep that in mind..
ty...