• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BIOLOGY PRACTICAL P34???? 26TH MAY

Reaction score
Q.1 was lengthy and time consuming, Q.2 was fine, in the ratio (Q.2) how many readings should be taken for the mean diameter of blood vessel and thickness of blood vessel wall? was it Q blood vessel (carries blood away from heart) must be aorta i.e. Q
how did you all draw the diagram of four adjacent xylem vessels?
the xylems were just 4, 2- line think ovals/circle or whatever you saw on the slide... with 2 of them in contact... and one lumen labelled.
for means i took 6 reading each and we also had to show where we took the readings on "S"

Reaction score
the xylems were just 4, 2- line think ovals/circle or whatever you saw on the slide... with 2 of them in contact... and one lumen labelled.
for means i took 6 reading each and we also had to show where we took the readings on "S"
yes I took 5 readings and showed it on "S" , my ratio (in µm) was 295 : 21

Reaction score
While calculating the ratio did you take the widest distance only? Or overall mean length including the shortest and longest parts?

Reaction score
Ratio will have a range, I hope it's correct. Arteries have small lumen so it must be Q or R, I selected Q
when relaxed, that's not the case. The best identification of an artery is the inner wall being not smooth. Or the outer wall being thick just like these 2 artery diagrams i have attached.20140506_101118.jpg artery.jpg

Reaction score
I took two measurements of diameter of S at its widest point...Will my ratio get wrong???
maybe.. but you won't loose all the marks for the question, if your method to find ratio after wrong means was correct.
the purpose of mean is that you take it from all around with all lines intersecting at one point (for diameter).

Reaction score
Well, I have 2 questions. (1) Will the no. of bubbles increase or decrease as the concentration of X inreases in Q.1? I mean what's the trend? (2) What is the approximate range of time taken to collect 2 cm^3 of oxygen gas also in Q.1?

Reaction score
when relaxed, that's not the case. The best identification of an artery is the inner wall being not smooth. Or the outer wall being thick just like these 2 artery diagrams i have attached.View attachment 54120 View attachment 54121
so Q or R should be the answer as they had thick outer walls and relatively small lumen than S and T, also S and T had thin outer walls. S and T were like veins/capillaries

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, I have 2 questions. (1) Will the no. of bubbles increase or decrease as the concentration of X inreases in Q.1? I mean what's the trend? (2) What is the approximate range of time taken to collect 2 cm^3 of oxygen gas also in Q.1?
As the concentration of X increases, the no. of bubbles of O2 decreases, i didn't have time to do that so I wrote 90 seconds