• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
IA Hmm I'm certain after extensive searching that CIE has a very straightforward process. All that matters for an A* at the end is whether the total marks you get add up to the minimum for A* or not. They said in one of their pdf files about grading:

"To determine a candidate’s syllabus grade we compare their syllabus total mark with the grade thresholds for the syllabus. You cannot usually work out a candidate’s syllabus grade from their component grades. This is because a candidate whose component grades were A, A and B might receive an A*, an A or a B overall. This will depend on where they came within the A and B ranges for each paper, and on the relative weights of the three papers."

So really you CAN get an A*, don't lose hope, work really hard, get like 25 ish in the Paper 5 and 85 ish in Paper 4, A* for sure, it'll easily compensate for A*. :D
isnt that impossible? getting 85ish n 25ish?
cuz the gt as far as i know drops down to 50 something which pretty much shows how difficult p4 can be :/
idk its just an assumption
u know more since youve taken this paper
which school btw?

Reaction score
isnt that impossible? getting 85ish n 25ish?
cuz the gt as far as i know drops down to 50 something which pretty much shows how difficult p4 can be :/
idk its just an assumption
u know more since youve taken this paper
which school btw?

Hmmm well, in Chem we ALL unanimously agreed that it was easy and we getting 25 ish in Paper 5, in Physics P4, almost the entire batch found it to be simpler as all of prepped well for it, and the smarter among us are easily sure about 90, soo really, if you do work hard enough you'll get there. Thing is perhaps that people tend to not do as much in A2 than in AS, the whole college application processes, creating a balance between school and self-studying, and then there's the guys who have the same approach as O Levels, "Screw everything, we'll just party all year and study in the last few months like we did in O Level", and then, it doesn't work :p So I think factors like these make the grade thresholds fall low, not just that the paper is difficult. Keep your confidence up, you'll do great.

And school, lol, don't ask. XD I actually stopped going altogether in A2 by December 'cause I was so sick of the pace at which they were teaching us and the lack of emphasis on Paper 5, overall been a bad experience in my highschool years, so I don't even want to recall it. XD

Reaction score
Answer is B pleaase help

Let's just apply each equation and see where it leads us.

1. m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

Take m1 as given mass m and m2 as given mass 4m
Take u1 as given velocity +u, take u2 as stationary = velocity is 0

mu + 0 = mv1 + 4mv2

mu = mv1 + 4mv2

mu = m(v1 + 4v2)

u = v1 + 4v2

We are trying to find out v1 in terms of u.

Since it's an elastic collission, we can also consider the relative velocities equation:

2. v1 + u1 = v2 + u2

u1 is u, u2 is 0

v1 + u = v2

So, u = v1 + 4v2 from first equation, and u = v2 - v1 from second equation.

Let's get rid of v2 by making

1. u - v1 = 4v2
2. (u - v1)/4 = v2 and u + v1 = v2

Thus, as v2 is subject of formula in both equations, we can equate the two equations as:

(u - v1)/4 = u + v1

then multiply both sides by 4

u - v1 = 4u + 4v1

now bring u and v1 each on their own sides

-5v1 = 3u

make v1 subject of formula by dividing both sides of equation by -5

v1 = -3u/5

Answer shuold be B, which is correct.

I hope I helped. Feel free to ask more via this thread or pm. I would love to assist. :D

Reaction score
Let's just apply each equation and see where it leads us.

1. m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

Take m1 as given mass m and m2 as given mass 4m
Take u1 as given velocity +u, take u2 as stationary = velocity is 0

mu + 0 = mv1 + 4mv2

mu = mv1 + 4mv2

mu = m(v1 + 4v2)

u = v1 + 4v2

We are trying to find out v1 in terms of u.

Since it's an elastic collission, we can also consider the relative velocities equation:

2. v1 + u1 = v2 + u2

u1 is u, u2 is 0

v1 + u = v2

So, u = v1 + 4v2 from first equation, and u = v2 - v1 from second equation.

Let's get rid of v2 by making

1. u - v1 = 4v2
2. (u - v1)/4 = v2 and u + v1 = v2

Thus, as v2 is subject of formula in both equations, we can equate the two equations as:

(u - v1)/4 = u + v1

then multiply both sides by 4

u - v1 = 4u + 4v1

now bring u and v1 each on their own sides

-5v1 = 3u

make v1 subject of formula by dividing both sides of equation by -5

v1 = -3u/5

Answer shuold be B, which is correct.

I hope I helped. Feel free to ask more via this thread or pm. I would love to assist. :D
Thank you sooo much. I get itt Thanks a lottt.

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Any idea about the gt of AS physics.. considering P2 was easy and P1 was okayish.. what do you guys think the gt would be, also keeping in mind that is was 90 last year. Pardon my anxiety. Cheers!

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Any idea about the gt of AS physics.. considering P2 was easy and P1 was okayish.. what do you guys think the gt would be, also keeping in mind that is was 90 last year. Pardon my anxiety. Cheers!
i think it would be around 91-93.If u look at 2016 o/n ,our p2 was tougher than it was and our p1 was far more tougher than it was.the only thing easier of ours than of 2106 o/n was p3.(p1=12,p2=22,p3=33 which i m talking about)

Reaction score
i think it would be around 91-93.If u look at 2016 o/n ,our p2 was tougher than it was and our p1 was far more tougher than it was.the only thing easier of ours than of 2106 o/n was p3.(p1=12,p2=22,p3=33 which i m talking about)
Yess but, 90 was in 2016 m/j not in o/n.. so shouldn't it be lesser than that?

Reaction score
Guys can some please send me the physics revision guide second edition and the chem one for as and a level