• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Haha, not AS, A2 XD but not free yet cause going to med school, so stuck in prep for entry tests and the like. I'm also working on/thinking about making a website to dump in my O/AS/A2 level notes/advice/tips/answers to questions, all in one place, to pay back to the internet for all that it gave me when I needed it most. Will share it here with y'all if I manage to go through with it.

What you up to? AS done?
wait so u took all 5 papers in one session??!! omigod
ohhh entry tests r alot of work to do :/ some1 told me i should start after AS so now m doing the same
n m prepping for SAT 2 as well
woww a website like a blog website or a website website?

Reaction score
wait so u took all 5 papers in one session??!! omigod
ohhh entry tests r alot of work to do :/ some1 told me i should start after AS so now m doing the same
n m prepping for SAT 2 as well
woww a website like a blog website or a website website?

Lol yes all 5 papers in one session. XD Yeah they are, and yes nice idea. Do NOT waste your time in the summer vacations. Regardless of how your AS exams went, your prep was I'm sure perfect enough, so rather than revising what you know, focus on SAT 2 prep and topics overlapping in AS and SAT 2 at the very least. Just make it routine to study 3-4 hours each day and you should be set. Also, in A2, do not take Paper 5 lightly. Idk about you guys but my school for some reason didn't take it too seriously and I regret not compensating for it at home. Paper 4 is, of course, very important. But those of you who have done p1 2 and 3 this session don't have any excuse at all to take paper 5 lightly, so be weary of that. A2 progresses much faster than AS especially Physics, so stay on your toes starting from now.

Anyway, yeah not a blog, I spent the entire day yesterday starting out on wordpress blogger on one side and wix weebly etc. on the other and I settled with a website website, as a blog site for what I'm aiming at won't cut it. The ways blogs are structured (the emphasis on timestamps and the choronological ordering etc.) isn't what I require (I know it can be modified but why do that when I can start straightaway without a blog in the first place). I might include a blog page relating to various subjects among the several pages, but not a completely blog based site. BTW is that your own blog you've linked below? Pretty nice. :)

Reaction score
Lol yes all 5 papers in one session. XD Yeah they are, and yes nice idea. Do NOT waste your time in the summer vacations. Regardless of how your AS exams went, your prep was I'm sure perfect enough, so rather than revising what you know, focus on SAT 2 prep and topics overlapping in AS and SAT 2 at the very least. Just make it routine to study 3-4 hours each day and you should be set. Also, in A2, do not take Paper 5 lightly. Idk about you guys but my school for some reason didn't take it too seriously and I regret not compensating for it at home. Paper 4 is, of course, very important. But those of you who have done p1 2 and 3 this session don't have any excuse at all to take paper 5 lightly, so be weary of that. A2 progresses much faster than AS especially Physics, so stay on your toes starting from now.

Anyway, yeah not a blog, I spent the entire day yesterday starting out on wordpress blogger on one side and wix weebly etc. on the other and I settled with a website website, as a blog site for what I'm aiming at won't cut it. The ways blogs are structured (the emphasis on timestamps and the choronological ordering etc.) isn't what I require (I know it can be modified but why do that when I can start straightaway without a blog in the first place). I might include a blog page relating to various subjects among the several pages, but not a completely blog based site. BTW is that your own blog you've linked below? Pretty nice. :)
whoa 5 papers thats alot to do in one session
really? then i guess i should skip the AS chapters during sat prep :/
oh ill tc of p5 thx for the advice
ohhh then good luck with your website
yh thats my blog..thx :p

Reaction score
whoa 5 papers thats alot to do in one session
really? then i guess i should skip the AS chapters during sat prep :/
oh ill tc of p5 thx for the advice
ohhh then good luck with your website
yh thats my blog..thx :p

Yeah that sure is, lol, total 15 papers for all 3 sciences. Phew. Yeah for the sat prep jump into the practice questions for the topics covered in AS for the sake of confirming that you know how they are asked in the SAT, but other than that it'd be great if you'd move ahead with A2 a bit. For Biology, homeostasis, respiration, and photosynthesis are great to study at this stage. For Physics, circular motion, gravitation, and simple harmonic motion can go a long way since the other topics will be even more extensive and demanding in A2. In Chemistry, regarding SAT, it's going to be a piece of cake. My friend got 800 without studying anything new and just doing AS and the A2 that he had done uptil mid-year. However, for CIEs, make sure you get AS Organic on your fingertips. A2 Organic won't be that hard if you get AS down really well. Do it like a mental web diagram or something, form alkene to alkane to halogenoalkane to alochol to ketone etc. cause the last chapter, Organic Synthesis, that's an implication that AS organic is included in A2 organic. It says:

a) for an organic molecule containing several functional groups:
(i) identify organic functional groups using the reactions in the
syllabus
(ii) predict properties and reactions
b) devise multi-stage synthetic routes for preparing organic molecules
using the reactions in the syllabus
c) analyse a given synthetic route in terms of type of reaction and
reagents used for each step of it, and possible by-products

What they're saying is, "beta, organic nai maaf houni, AS + A2 :)" In our paper for example, for 10 marks, they gave us a couple of compounds, told us reactions and observations, and then we had to draw the 10 structures, and the entire table contained both AS and A2 organic reacitons, almost everyone I know either left it entirely or left it incomplete, including, sadly, myself, even though I had prepared a lot.

Other than that, completing and studying energy/enthalpy changes, entropy, and completing Group II will be a good idea.

Thanks, I'll keep you all updated about the site.

And yeah I went through the blog, reaally great and touching material. I'm huge into writing poetry (have like 100+ poems all unpublished) and articles/essays myself, so always refreshing to see such spirit among others too. :)

Reaction score
Yeah that sure is, lol, total 15 papers for all 3 sciences. Phew. Yeah for the sat prep jump into the practice questions for the topics covered in AS for the sake of confirming that you know how they are asked in the SAT, but other than that it'd be great if you'd move ahead with A2 a bit. For Biology, homeostasis, respiration, and photosynthesis are great to study at this stage. For Physics, circular motion, gravitation, and simple harmonic motion can go a long way since the other topics will be even more extensive and demanding in A2. In Chemistry, regarding SAT, it's going to be a piece of cake. My friend got 800 without studying anything new and just doing AS and the A2 that he had done uptil mid-year. However, for CIEs, make sure you get AS Organic on your fingertips. A2 Organic won't be that hard if you get AS down really well. Do it like a mental web diagram or something, form alkene to alkane to halogenoalkane to alochol to ketone etc. cause the last chapter, Organic Synthesis, that's an implication that AS organic is included in A2 organic. It says:

a) for an organic molecule containing several functional groups:
(i) identify organic functional groups using the reactions in the
syllabus
(ii) predict properties and reactions
b) devise multi-stage synthetic routes for preparing organic molecules
using the reactions in the syllabus
c) analyse a given synthetic route in terms of type of reaction and
reagents used for each step of it, and possible by-products

What they're saying is, "beta, organic nai maaf houni, AS + A2 :)" In our paper for example, for 10 marks, they gave us a couple of compounds, told us reactions and observations, and then we had to draw the 10 structures, and the entire table contained both AS and A2 organic reacitons, almost everyone I know either left it entirely or left it incomplete, including, sadly, myself, even though I had prepared a lot.

Other than that, completing and studying energy/enthalpy changes, entropy, and completing Group II will be a good idea.

Thanks, I'll keep you all updated about the site.

And yeah I went through the blog, reaally great and touching material. I'm huge into writing poetry (have like 100+ poems all unpublished) and articles/essays myself, so always refreshing to see such spirit among others too. :)
thank you soooooooo soo much for all this
i mean no one couldve advised me like that thank you
ill consider all this when i go for A2 inshallah
AS organic to be revised n jump to AS tests n A2 in SAT prep
ill keep this in mind

woww really? then y dont u give it away somewhere
there are alot of international competitions out there
hey can i read ur poetry? i mean if u r okay with it

Reaction score
thank you soooooooo soo much for all this
i mean no one couldve advised me like that thank you
ill consider all this when i go for A2 inshallah
AS organic to be revised n jump to AS tests n A2 in SAT prep
ill keep this in mind

woww really? then y dont u give it away somewhere
there are alot of international competitions out there
hey can i read ur poetry? i mean if u r okay with it

You're welcome!! Yeah absolutely. You have ample time in the vacations so relax as well as study, next year will be hectic so do enjoy the vacations too alongside studying.

Yeah thing is I tried a couple of sites and online magazine submissions but thing is I guess the famous ones, magazines/sites and competitions that accept entries for free just get so many submissions and it's hard to know precisely what each source is looking for, so that's a hindrance. Competitions that require a little submission fee, I haven't tried those yet since honestly I don't even know myself what merit my work is, and whether it's even worthy of investing into. But to avoid hijacking the thread, although no one seems to have any Physics doubts now that exams are over lol, I'll pm you and send you something to read. Thank you really for showing interest! :D

Anyone else reading this though, if you're aware of any local/Pakistani platforms, Facebook pages, even newfound setups desperately in need for any literary material, etc. for sending in amateur poetry and similar work, do let us/me know, since I feel that starting small is the right way to do it.

Reaction score
Yeah I got 0.5 too, precisely 0.47 something (got a photographic memory about certain things lol), so rounded up to +/- 0.5. And yes pressure statement was A. Everything else was utterly ridiculous from what I recall.

Reaction score
Yeah I got 0.5 too, precisely 0.47 something (got a photographic memory about certain things lol), so rounded up to +/- 0.5. And yes pressure statement was A. Everything else was utterly ridiculous from what I recall.
lol i got the pressure one wrong
later on i was told it was A :p

Reaction score
IA same goes for u
idk i heard from ppl in our school n especially the seniors that i u get a low A in AS then u r probably not going to get an A* :/

n yh that rhymed lol

IA Hmm I'm certain after extensive searching that CIE has a very straightforward process. All that matters for an A* at the end is whether the total marks you get add up to the minimum for A* or not. They said in one of their pdf files about grading:

"To determine a candidate’s syllabus grade we compare their syllabus total mark with the grade thresholds for the syllabus. You cannot usually work out a candidate’s syllabus grade from their component grades. This is because a candidate whose component grades were A, A and B might receive an A*, an A or a B overall. This will depend on where they came within the A and B ranges for each paper, and on the relative weights of the three papers."

So really you CAN get an A*, don't lose hope, work really hard, get like 25 ish in the Paper 5 and 85 ish in Paper 4, A* for sure, it'll easily compensate for A*. :D

Reaction score
I
Nah bro compared to the medical college admission tests, I kid you not, A levels were a vacation. XD
pity you guys, Admission tests are such a hassle and a pain in the neck. Alhamdulilah we don't do admission test for medical colleges here in Saudi arabia! :D