• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
So the key thing to notice here is that when the circuit is working properly, the potential difference across the relay will be 16 Volts, and the current through it will be 0.6 Amperes (if the voltage isn't 16 Volts or the current isn't 0.6 Amperes, the relay circuit will not work properly).
However, since the wires used to connect the source to the relay also have a resistance, any current flowing through them will have to push against the resistance to keep moving, so they will lose some energy in the wires. In other words, there will be a drop in the potential across the wires.

Since one wire goes from the source to the relay, and the other wire goes from the other terminal of the relay back to the other terminal of the source, the wires and relay are all connected in series to each other. Therefore, the same current of 0.6 Amperes will go through the wires and relay.

Since the wires are 800 meters long each, and the resistance of each wire is 0.005 Ω per meter, we can say that the resistance of 800 meters of wire is equal to
0.005 Ω/m * 800 m = 4 Ω .
The potential difference across one wire is given by V = IR:

Potential Difference = V = 0.6 Amperes * 4 Ω = 2.4 Volts.

Since there are two wires of the same length, the total potential difference across them, i.e. the total volts lost in the wires, is equal to 2 * 2.4 Volts = 4.8 Volts.

Suppose the source has to supply at least another 16 Volts so that the relay can work properly, it totally has to supply 16 + 4.8 Volts to the circuit so that the potential difference across the relay is enough to run it properly even when the wires have some resistance and are wasting some potential. Therefore, the total minimum EMF of the circuit has to be 16 + 4.8 Volts = 20.8 Volts = C.

Hope this helped!
Good Luck for all your exams

Yes it helped alot... Thankyou very much....
I have one .more question if u could solve that too... I would really be grateful
Q8

Attachments

• 1401877135847.jpg
    1401877135847.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Wait lemme see your questions :)
I solved that paper for you :
w12_12
29)
View attachment 44719
As you can see from the figure, there will be total difference b/w nodes = 3λ / 2 = L
Now we know the velocity, we can calculate λ so f = v / λ
λ = 0.2 m
f = 1650 Hz

34)
Let's go choice by choice shall we...:
B: It's said both are made from same material. So resistivity is same.
Reject B

A:
R = (resistivity * L)/A
Both are same material so we ignore resistivity for now.
So we have: R = L/A
We have to compare their cross-section areas.
A = L/R

For X:
When R = 20, L = 0.6
A = .6/20 = 0.03A

For Y:
When R = 10,
L = 0.6,
A = 0.6/10 = 0.06A

Compare 'em.
2X = Y
Is this what dear (NOT!) A is suggesting?
No. It says the opposite in fact.
So A's a no-no.

C.
Take both lengths equal. I took them 0.6m
For X, R = 20
For Y, R = 10

P = VI
SInce they're in series, I will be same for both.

For X,
P = 20I
For Y,
P = 10I

Compare 'em away.
Power of Y *2 = Power of X
WHich is exactly what C says.
So C's our choice.

But to be clear, let
s have a look at D

In parallel, current in one of the two branches, in equal to ratio of R/total of OTHER branch.

For X, (R=20) and R = 10 for Y. Total = 30
For current in X, therefore, it's 10/30 ie 1/3 I

For Y,
20/30 I
or 2/3 I

This is clearly NOT what's in D.
So D goes down.

36)
Here first we'll find the power at two points of current provided, and as its not a fixed current we would take the mean of power we get.
So it follows as :¬
Power at 2 ampere = 4 * 100 = 400W
Power at -1 ampere = -1 * 100 = -100W
Now as I said take mean of these powers : 500 / 2 = 250W

37)
Its not D as no current will pass if both switch are open. Then its not even A as both are closed so current will be I. In B S2 is open and S1 is closed so current just flows in series so current is still I. In C current flows through parallel circuit as S1 is open and S2 closed and current is not equal in parallel so it will not be I

38)
remember when two resistor are in series, more voltage drop is at resistor with more value, so their a flashing light then R = 5 mega ohm when dark, then 5M is very large than 1 K of other resistor, then almost all voltage drop at 5M, hope you get this, it is a very simple concept.

39)
Whats the big deal here ?
You know that nucleon number in helium is 4 (helium = alpha particle)
Then from original substance 100 alpha get removed every second, so in alpha, 4 * 100 = 400 nucleon each second.

s12_12
7)
Its A, because according to velocity time graph, we can see that its negative after half the time. That means that guy has changed his direction. this describes The scenario that a man run stratis gradually increasing hi speed and then after certain reducing speed and an he changes is direction(moves backward) with same speed pattern.
Now considering this troy with displacement, that guy reaches the farthest point and then comes back i.e max displacement after halftime.

10)
Keep this thing in mind when you are asked for projectile thingy :
  • horizontal component of velocity = constant
  • vertical component of acceleration constant = constant
  • At top most, vertical velocity is zero
Now look it practically,
you throw a ball, when it reaches max height (top) it stops for a while
KE cannot be zero
KE = 0.5mv^2
v = root(square(vx) + square(vy))
vy = 0
but vx = constant
so v is nonzeror and hence KE canot be zero
similarly momentum canot be zero
P=mv :)

17)
Base has h = 0, i.e is block 1 = zero * mgh
Now we have other 3 blocks.
block 2 = at height h so m*g*h = mgh
block 3 = at height 2h = 2mgh
block 4 = height 3h = 3mgh
Sum all this P.E = 6mgh

28)
View attachment 44722

30)
Given
λ/2=33cm
so λ is 66cm or 0.66m
f=330/0.66=500
T=1/500=2ms
so it means wave should be completed in 4 blockss as the time base is 0.50ms/cm
the only one is B

Reaction score
Well weren't they easy :p (jk)
38)
Here we are asked to find total EMF in the circuit.
We'll use the formula : EMF*(R1/R1+R2+R3) = V
Now we wont consider 4R coz its parallel attached to other 3 resistors, hence --> EMF*(2/6) =2 so EMF = 6V

35)
Will have to type alot, wait.

Reaction score
I tried to.... But i could not get the correct answer... I will try it again
Use the equation of motion s = ut + 0.5at^2
Now substitute the data into the equation
For XY
S= 40
t=12
u=??
a=??

equation 1 : 40 = 12u + 72a

For the X to Z
S= 80
t= 18
a=??
u=???
equation 2 : 80 = 18u + 162a
Why not I use the distance Y to Z is that it unitial velocity is different from that of X to Y
Now use simultaneus equation to get the answer..