• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hey. In physics paper 3 (practical), how do I prove whether a mathematical relationship is supported or not by calculating two values of k? Can anybody help me out here?
Simple as this:
1)You are asked to find out the %uncertainty of(say x) in the one of the question
2)you are also asked to find two values of k (k1 and k2) in one of the question
Now,
suppose you got %uncertainty of x as 20%. Then you find k1+ 20% of k1 AND k1-20% of k1
This is the range
If your value of k2(found in 2) matches it, THE RELATION IS SATISFIED
in most of the questions, it is satisfied.
I hope this helped!
Good luck. Light and luck bless you! :)

Reaction score
Simple as this:
1)You are asked to find out the %uncertainty of(say x) in the one of the question
2)you are also asked to find two values of k (k1 and k2) in one of the question
Now,
suppose you got %uncertainty of x as 20%. Then you find k1+ 20% of k1 AND k1-20% of k1
This is the range
If your value of k2(found in 2) matches it, THE RELATION IS SATISFIED
in most of the questions, it is satisfied.
I hope this helped!
Good luck. Light and luck bless you! :)

I'm still a little confused. :(

The part that I don't get is this:

"Now, suppose you got %uncertainty of x as 20%. Then you find k1+ 20% of k1 AND k1-20% of k1
This is the range"

Reaction score
I'm still a little confused. :(
I made the language simple. Take a little bit more time.
step 1 and 2 you dont have to worry. It will already be in your previous answers. they will also make you find k1 and k2, in the previous question.

now just simply put (suppose you got 20%)
Solve k1+ (20%of k1) =
solve k1- (20% of k1)=

does your value of k2(already found in previous question) lie between this?
If yes, it satisfies.

Tell me where you're confused. Take time to read

Reaction score
step 1 and 2 you dont have to worry. It will already be in your previous answers. they will also make you find k1 and k2, in the previous question.

Solve k1+ (20%of k1) =
solve k1- (20% of k1)=

If yes, it satisfies.

Does it matter if k1 is the smaller one or the larger one?

Reaction score

Solve k1+ (20%of k1) =
solve k1- (20% of k1)=

If yes, it satisfies.

Can I just calculate the percentage difference between the two k's and if it's greater than the percentage uncertainty calculated earlier then it's not supported? And if it's less than or equal to percentage uncertainty calculated earlier, it is supported. Is this essentially the same thing?

NIM

Reaction score
i m nt so sure abut 7 and 34
q 33
Sp = (5/10) * 2= 1 V
for voltage at Q = (2/5) * 2 = 0.8
for V2 = 2-0.8 = 1.2
V1 - V2
1 - 1.2 = -0.20V

q 40
for finding the acceleration with lowest speed you have to divide no of protons with atomic mass
A. H ... 1/1 = 1
B. He ... 2/4 = 0.5
C. Li ... 3/7 = 0.43
D. Be ... 4/9 = 0.44
C has the lowest speed so C would be the answer.

Reaction score
i will help you with w07 and w06 i havent done 2009 yet
w007
Q18
Surface pressure=100kPa
Pressure=dgh
surface height = 100000/(1030*9.81)=9.897 meters
now at 450kPa
450000/(1030*9.81)=44.535
so below surface=44.535-9.897=34.6

Q19 you need to know this learn this!

Q37 nuclear process like alpha or beta decay the proton number changes no option saying proton number proton is a nucleon

W06
Q2 Energry=mgh=kgm^2 s^-2
lets see what the first option says
Ft=ma*t=kgms^-1 nope not correct
Fvt=mavt=kg*ms^-2*ms^-2*s= kgm^2s^-2 yup correct thats it B is the answer

Q6 V = IR
R =V/I = 8/1 = 8 ohms
change in R/R = change in V/V + change in I/I
change in R = 8(.2 + .4) = 2
Therefore (8+- 2) ohms

Q12 momentum always conserved
mv before=mv after
1000*5=10*x
x=500

Q15 since both the forces are 10
cos(30)*20 gives the upward force=17.32
now resultant 17.32-10=7.32

Q36 Kirchhoff first law
sum of current entering a point=sum of current leaving
I2=20.2+10.6=30.8
I1+10.6=10.8

Reaction score
Paper 34 - I haven't practiced a single experiment. :'(
Help me someone :'(
Dw you can get many marks even without touching the apparatus. In first question ask the supervisor to set-up the apparatus if you don't have any idea (you'll get 2 marks deducted for it though). Change the values and you'll get the readings. Draw a graph and calculate gradient and draw line of best fit, these are in every practical. Read some marking schemes and examiner reports and you'll get some idea. For the second question you'll get marks for just finding the percentage uncertainties and writing correct significant figures. If you have no idea how to do it just write something closer to the value given like if its written take 50 cm write something close to it. Write subsequent values accordingly that look sensible and do the following calculations. You can write the uncertainties and the improvements anyway and just read some ms to know when to write what.

Reaction score
Dw you can get many marks even without touching the apparatus. In first question ask the supervisor to set-up the apparatus if you don't have any idea (you'll get 2 marks deducted for it though). Change the values and you'll get the readings. Draw a graph and calculate gradient and draw line of best fit, these are in every practical. Read some marking schemes and examiner reports and you'll get some idea. For the second question you'll get marks for just finding the percentage uncertainties and writing correct significant figures. If you have no idea how to do it just write something closer to the value given like if its written take 50 cm write something close to it. Write subsequent values accordingly that look sensible and do the following calculations. You can write the uncertainties and the improvements anyway and just read some ms to know when to write what.

Hey I need help with a part from the second question. Where you have to show whether or not the relationship is supported by calculating two values of k. I've asked this before, but I'm still confused! Different people are telling me different things, this has just made it worse. You seem like you'd know this. Please help me!

Here, use this paper to explain. http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w11_qp_34.pdf

NIM

Reaction score
i will help you with w07 and w06 i havent done 2009 yet
w007
Q18
Surface pressure=100kPa
Pressure=dgh
surface height = 100000/(1030*9.81)=9.897 meters
now at 450kPa
450000/(1030*9.81)=44.535
so below surface=44.535-9.897=34.6

Q19 you need to know this learn this!

Q37 nuclear process like alpha or beta decay the proton number changes no option saying proton number proton is a nucleon

W06
Q2 Energry=mgh=kgm^2 s^-2
lets see what the first option says
Ft=ma*t=kgms^-1 nope not correct
Fvt=mavt=kg*ms^-2*ms^-2*s= kgm^2s^-2 yup correct thats it B is the answer

Q6 V = IR
R =V/I = 8/1 = 8 ohms
change in R/R = change in V/V + change in I/I
change in R = 8(.2 + .4) = 2
Therefore (8+- 2) ohms

Q12 momentum always conserved
mv before=mv after
1000*5=10*x
x=500

Q15 since both the forces are 10
cos(30)*20 gives the upward force=17.32
now resultant 17.32-10=7.32

Q36 Kirchhoff first law
sum of current entering a point=sum of current leaving
I2=20.2+10.6=30.8
I1+10.6=10.8

Thnx a lot dude :p it did help me a lot :D

Reaction score
Hey I need help with a part from the second question. Where you have to show whether or not the relationship is supported by calculating two values of k. I've asked this before, but I'm still confused! Different people are telling me different things, this has just made it worse. You seem like you'd know this. Please help me!

Here, use this paper to explain. http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w11_qp_34.pdf
You subtract the smaller value of k from the bigger one, then divide them by the bigger one, although I'm not entirely sure which value to divide. If its less than the percentage uncertainty its supported if its not then simply write its not supported rather than it has an inverse relation.