• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
i dont think you can repeat one component (only available for edexcel i guess)....and about the M1 S1 P2 issue....i dont know why you did so, i know that we should take P1 and one paper (either M1 S1 P2).
I didn't know at that time... P2 test is tmr and I can't cancel it.. My darn school didn't tell me anything about it.. Do you think I can take P1,P2 for AS and M1,S1,P3 for A2? Will I get any penalties? I hope I won't...

Reaction score
I didn't know at that time... P2 test is tmr and I can't cancel it.. My darn school didn't tell me anything about it.. Do you think I can take P1,P2 for AS and M1,S1,P3 for A2? Will I get any penalties? I hope I won't...
i dont find going for two extra papers in A2 necessary (M1 and S1)....i'd recommend you continue as you are and take M1 next year (if you're good with physics) or S1 (if you dislike physics) but i dont find taking both necessary. And again i prefer you consult a professional in your area (am just a student as you are.)

Reaction score
i dont find going for two extra papers in A2 necessary (M1 and S1)....i'd recommend you continue as you are and take M1 next year (if you're good with physics) or S1 (if you dislike physics) but i dont find taking both necessary. And again i prefer you consult a professional in your area (am just a student as you are.)
I'll have a consult, anyway thank you

Reaction score
Can someone please explain question number 6 of March 2018 paper 42 9709? I got a exam tomorrow please help.

Reaction score
Can someone please explain question number 6 of March 2018 paper 42 9709? I got a exam tomorrow please help.
Okay, in part one, since the car is travelling with constant speed 60 and we need to find power we apply the formula P=FxV. You have your V=60, and since the resistance is 2100(given in question as 35v, meaning 35x60) your F would be 2100 too as the car is travelling at constant speed(you can check this by apply F=ma and since there is no acceleration F-2100=0 giving F=2100). So now just multiply 2100 and 60 to get 126000W, your max power of car.

Part two: Use the formula they gave in the question, 35v to calculate your resistance(which is 1050N in this part). As they are asking you for the maximum acceleration, you would use the maximum power which you found in the previous part, 126000W to find the driving force of the car using P=FxV. 126000=Fx30, so driving force is 4200N. This is the greatest possible driving force, and now you apply F=ma to find the acceleration: 4200-1050=1200(a). And you get acceleration=2.625... TA DAAAAA

Part three: In this case you don't know the constant speed at which the car is travelling as u need to find it(duhhh). So you apply P=FxV first to get an expression for driving force(DF) of the car. Since the question says find the greatest speed of the car, use the max power of the car which we found in part one, 126000W. 126000=DFxV. DF=126000/V. Now use the expression of resistance as 35V as specified by the question and remember to take the component of weight of the car down the slope. So now the equation is DF-resistance-weight component down the slope=0(it is equals zero because the car has a constant speed so no acceleration, applying newton's 3rd law here). Just plug the expressions into the equation i mentioned and kabooom you get a quadratic which gives you v=40.

Reaction score
can someone pls do this
Tension P1X is 5N and tesion P2X is WN. Then you can draw a vector triangle with 7.3N. Using Pythagoras theory, you can obtain W. And use trigonometry to find angle AP1X. I got W=4.8N and angle=41.1 degree. Hope it's right.

Reaction score
can someone pls do this
The tension in the string is AX is the weight of A, 5.5N, and the tension XC is W. Take the X and Y components of each force and the sum of the X components and Y components is equal to zero since the system is in equilibrium. Solve these 2 equations to get W. You can now draw a right angle triangle of AP1X containing the forces around that area and find the angleAP1X.