• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

I'm an IGCSE Maths Teacher - Post your questions here.

Reaction score
I'll write a as the angle of the sector. The formula for arc length is: a/360 * 2 * pi * radius.

The radius is 5r and the arc length is 4r so we have:

a/360 * 2 * pi * (5r) = 4r

Next make a/360 the subject of the equation:

a/360 = 4r / (2*pi*5r) --> a/360 = 4/(10*pi)

The question asks for the area of the sector. The formula is: a/360 * pi * radius^2

The radius is 5r again and we can use the a/360 formula that we found earlier. Substituting all this in gives:

Area = (4 / (10*pi) ) * pi * (5r)^2

If you simplify this (try this yourself) you get:

Area = 10r^2
S

If you're still stuck, please tell me exactly which parts you do understand and which parts you don't.

O U TAKE THE ARCLENGTH..AS ITS ANSWER IS GIVEN AND ..BY IT V CAN FIND THE VALUE OF a(angle of sector) IN TERMS OF r ..
:- if v use only the area of sector formula ..then v gt an answer in r plus a(angle of sector)...nd this a v dont want so v used that arc length 2 find the value!!!
SO HAV I UNDERSUD IT CORRECTLY!!!

Reaction score
picture039.jpg
SIR CUD U PLZ EXPLAIN THE LINES OF SYMMETRY IN IT....I SAW markscheme...and it was 4...bt wen i do the symmetry as shown above .. iget 8.. plz tell :s

Reaction score
sir cud u plz plz plz ..explain the following minor doubts :(:(:confused::confused: !!!
OCT/NOV -2011-P22- Q1 .... i get 08 30 (time) .wen i subtract!
OCT/NOV-2011-P23- Q23(b) ......y dnt v take the time in mins wen dividing???
THNX IN ADVANCE ...!!! :)

Reaction score
Can you please tell me when to round off our answers to 3 significant figures and when not to? thanks for qp 2

Reaction score
O U TAKE THE ARCLENGTH..AS ITS ANSWER IS GIVEN AND ..BY IT V CAN FIND THE VALUE OF a(angle of sector) IN TERMS OF r ..
:- if v use only the area of sector formula ..then v gt an answer in r plus a(angle of sector)...nd this a v dont want so v used that arc length 2 find the value!!!
SO HAV I UNDERSUD IT CORRECTLY!!!
Sorry, I read your post twice but it's very hard to understand :)

Can you maybe try explaining again?

Reaction score
HELP PLEASE.
Help with Question 19, part bi)
From paper: 0580/21/M/J/10
A position vector is a vector that starts from O.

E.g. r = 2: 4p + 2q

Start from O and move along 4p (move 8 units to the right) and then move along 2q (4 units up) then plot the point where you finish (coordinates: (8,4).

Can you do the rest?

Reaction score
sir cud u plz plz plz ..explain the following minor doubts :(:(:confused::confused: !!!
OCT/NOV -2011-P22- Q1 .... i get 08 30 (time) .wen i subtract!
OCT/NOV-2011-P23- Q23(b) ......y dnt v take the time in mins wen dividing???
THNX IN ADVANCE ...!!! :)
1)

8hrs and 30 minutes is correct. Change this to minutes: 510 minutes.

So in this time, the bus leaves 510/15 = 34 times.

But remember that the last bus leaves at 1730 so you need to include one extra. So the answer is 34 + 1 = 35.

23b)

The answer needs to be in m/s so you can't use minutes. You need to convert minutes to seconds.

Reaction score
Can you please tell me when to round off our answers to 3 significant figures and when not to? thanks for qp 2
If the answer has less digits than the full calculator display, write down all the digits you see (this kind of number is called 'exact').

If the answer is not 'exact', round to 3sf and for angles round to 1dp. Sometimes the question will ask you to round to something else so read the question carefully.

Reaction score
Reaction score