• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
all of them coz i want to have an idea of how should i attempt to the questions in order to score full marks under an exam conditions. And if possible wiz some additional explanations or tips will help me a lot and thks for the help

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have recently joined A levels and i want to take Further Maths, so can you fellas please tell me which textbooks i should buy?

Reaction score
Hey,
i've just completed my O'levels n just feeling confused whether to opt for Further Mathematics in A-Levels or not....
Ur advice would be highly appreciated....

Yes, if you dont feel it harder, and if Math is your passion, do take it. :)

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have recently joined A levels and i want to take Further Maths, so can you fellas please tell me which textbooks i should buy?
you better to buy oxford further pure mathematics.. there you will find easy and for help you can look other books from aqa in pdf no need to bye them coz it costs high..

Reaction score
Can someone give me a detailed syllabus for 90709 P3 and P5. I have had a look at the posted CIE syllabus, but im not sure wether it is in detail or its a general overview. So if someone could help me out that would be great.

Reaction score
Hi, everybody. I have been studying further mathematics since this year and have met a lot of trouble...
Please have a look at the following question:
Q1:
Find the equation of the tangent to the curve r=e^θ, which is
a) parallel to the initial line
b) perpendicular to the initial line.

Q2: Give in polar coordinates the points on the curve r = a cos(2θ) where the tangents are
b) perpendicular to the initial line

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Pleaseee can anyone guide me on Question 2 May/June 08 Paper 1. I just started FM and still adjusting. All help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Pleaseee can anyone guide me on Question 2 May/June 08 Paper 1. I just started FM and still adjusting. All help is greatly appreciated.
Check the ms, it takes hell time to load.
u₁+ u₂+ u₃+ ...= ln[{(1 + x²)/(1+ x)}{1 +x³)/(1 + x²)}{1 + x⁴)/(1 + x³)}.....= ln{(1 + xⁿ⁺¹)/(1 + x}.
(i) -1 < x < 1: As n→∞, S( n )→ln{1/(1 + x)} = -ln(1 + x), ∵xⁿ⁺¹→0.
(ii) x = 1: S( n )→ln{2/(1 + 1)} = ln1 = 0.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, everybody. I have been studying further mathematics since this year and have met a lot of trouble...
Please have a look at the following question:
Q1:
Find the equation of the tangent to the curve r=e^θ, which is
b) perpendicular to the initial line.

Q2: Give in polar coordinates the points on the curve r = a cos(2θ) where the tangents are
b) perpendicular to the initial line

Thanks a lot!
After focusing on the specif topic. -Phew- Dont ask me much on this. :/ I will come after I finish my syllabus. :/
Q1. x = rcosθ = e^θcosθ, dx/dθ = e^θcosθ - e^θsinθ,
y = rsinθ = e^θsinθ, dy/dθ = e^θcosθ +e^θsinθ,
dy/dx = (dy/dθ)/(dx/dθ) = (cosθ +sinθ)/(cosθ - sinθ).
(a) For tangent || initial line, dy/dx = 0→θ = 3π/4.
Tangent is y = e^(3π/4)/√2.
(b) For tangent ⊥ initial line, dy/dx = ∞→θ = π/4
Tangent is x = -e^(π/4)/√2.

Q2. x = rcosθ = acos2θcosθ, dx/dθ = -acos2θsinθ -2asin2θcosθ,
y = rsinθ = acos2θsinθ, dy/dθ = acos2θcosθ - 2asin2θsinθ,
dy/dx = (cos2θcosθ - 2sin2θsinθ)/(-cos2θsinθ -2sin2θcosθ).
dy/dx = 0 when tan2θtanθ = ½. Solving, u = tan⁻¹(1/5).
(a) ||tangent line is y = a√(5/6) {after a bit of work}.
(b) ⊥tangent line is x = -2a/(3√6) {after a bit of work}.