• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
If I master further mathematics (especially the calculus part), will it help me to get a better understanding of quantum mechanics, like the compton scattering?
Seriously...I can't understand this at present....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering
There is a very very good chance that you might understand it. However the mathematical level is quite higher than that taught at the level of further maths. The advanced vector notation and algebraic groups and matrix and vector spaces are some of the main things you need to know when understanding quantum mechanics. If you're an Alevels student, I would suggest go for a step-by-step approach. Try to understand most of the mathematical topics that are needed to understand quantum mechanics and quantum chromodynamics. First it would be better if you finish Further maths. Then understand vector notation and advanced algebraic groups. Remember you can never understand quantum physics if you are not well versed in mathematics. Also I would advise you to go through this website:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hph.html
if you want to understand theoretical particle physics and quantum physics. It helped me a lot. Good luck!

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s08_qp_3.pdf

Question 7, Why do we have to obtain and equation with A, B and C ? There are only two denominators so I only obtained with A and B !
Then second part, can anyone solve it for me please? :)
Look if you just use:
A/(x+1) + B/(x+3), the numerator of the result will not be a quadratic.
So you need to make sure the degrees of the polynomials are mantained.
Hence
A + B/(x+1) + C/(x+3)
You can also understand this by using the formula: Dividend = (Divisor * quotient) + remainder

Reaction score
does anyone has any notes or something on how to solve different types of complex number questions? also, notes for how to solve linear spaces

No notes but khanacademy has some brilliant videos covering the whole of linear spaces for our CIE syllabus except for row spaces. Wikipedia also has concise info on all spaces and also how to find basis and stuff so you cud look there too !

Reaction score
Aray cmplx is like a pain and everyone struggles there what part u need notes about i know a few videos on a few areas of cmplx not all :(
Pata nahin yar, complex kai notes as in like general questions kaisay solve kartay hain, i get stuck on few questions. agar u have like solved them or something, can u send me a pic of those solved ppapers questions? that would be great!

Reaction score