• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computer Studies Notes + Tips + Queries

Reaction score

You've read the IGCSE book, right? It's written correctly there that 1 Megabyte = 1000 Kilobytes. However, 1 Mebibyte = 1024 Kibibytes.
Mega and Kilo are part of the standard SI unit tables. 1 Kilo = 1000 of a unit. 1 Mega = 10^6 of a unit.

Reaction score
You've read the IGCSE book, right? It's written correctly there that 1 Megabyte = 1000 Kilobytes. However, 1 Mebibyte = 1024 Kibibytes.
Mega and Kilo are part of the standard SI unit tables. 1 Kilo = 1000 of a unit. 1 Mega = 10^6 of a unit.

Yes. I remember now. In the paper, we use 1000 right?

Reaction score
No. The one I solved, the Nov. 2012 one, we used 1024. If we used 1000 we get a error of more than 0.5. I was confused too. I'm used to it, their OWN endorsed books go against their mark schemes.
i think it was clearly mentioned above the question about the conversion thingy.......... or perhaps i saw some other paper

Reaction score
Guys, do the examiners ONLY credit the our points if they are included in the MS, or do they accept any reasonable answers? And do our answers to the paper need to be phrased similar to the mark schemes?
I'm really confused about this. Plus, their own support booklet points are not included in the MS? Any ideas? :S

Reaction score
Guys, do the examiners ONLY credit the our points if they are included in the MS, or do they accept any reasonable answers? And do our answers to the paper need to be phrased similar to the mark schemes?
I'm really confused about this. Plus, their own support booklet points are not included in the MS? Any ideas? :S
No need to worry...if your ans have logic even in your own wording then they will accept...:)

Reaction score
What is DVD-RAM???
DVD-RAM is a DVD (optical disc) technology for high-capacity data storage for computers. Like ordinary random access memory (RAM), it can be repeatedly read, written to, and erased. Intended mostly for removable computer storage, DVD-RAM provides the capabilities of Rewriteable CD (CD-RW) - users can run programs from the discs, copy files to them and rewrite or delete them. However, with a storage capacity of up to 9.4 gigabytes (GB) per double-sided disc, DVD-RAM has many times the capacity of CD-RW.

DVD-RAM discs can be rewritten 100,000 times, 100 times more than either DVD-RW or DVD+RW, the other two rewritable DVD formats. DVD-RAM drives can usually read both DVD Video discs and DVD-ROM discs, as well as any type of CD. Like other rewriteable DVD formats, DVD-RAM uses phase change recording, in which varying laser intensities cause targeted areas in the phase change recording layer to alternate between an amorphous and a crystalline state.