• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Need help for 6 questions of paper 1. The correct answer are circled.
View attachment 8533

For question 2, 2 double bonds in he compound were removed, thus 4 mole of hydrogen was required (since 2 hydrogens are added to the chain once you break a double bond). If you notice, CH2 was changed to CH3 thus one more mole os Hydrogen was required. So in total, 5 mole of hydrogen was required.

Question 3, first of all find the Mr of P2O5, which is (31*2)+(16*5)= 142.
Now find the amount of phosphorus present in this amount, which is (31*2)/142= 0.4366...
The question said, only 30% of it dissolves, so 0.4366*30= 13.09, which is almost equal to 13.1, hence answer is B.

Question 4-
Ethanol will not react with NaOH. Since a hydroxyl group is present in both of them, no nucleophilic substitution will happen, so it has to be ethanoic acid.

Question 5-
This question is hell tricky, and I've been trying this for half an hour now, and I don't see how to differentiate between A and D, both of 1 mol of A and D, will require 2 mol of HCN, and both will change the color of potassium dichromate.
I will try to brain storm this question with one of my friends, and she might come up with something. :p
Till then I'll be grateful if someone can reason out why it should be D, not A, please?
Here's the question:
attachment.php

Reaction score
Concentrated sulfuric acid can behave both as a strong acid and as an oxidising agent.

With which compound does concentrated sulfuric acid react in this way?

A. Ethanol
B. Magnesium Carbonate
C. Propanenitrile
D. Sodium Bromide

Why?

---

In the graph of acidity of period 2 oxides, acidity decreases down the period... But is the acidity of P4O10, SO3, and Cl2O7 the same, or does it decrease as well?

Reaction score
For question 2, 2 double bonds in he compound were removed, thus 4 mole of hydrogen was required (since 2 hydrogens are added to the chain once you break a double bond). If you notice, CH2 was changed to CH3 thus one more mole os Hydrogen was required. So in total, 5 mole of hydrogen was required.

Question 3, first of all find the Mr of P2O5, which is (31*2)+(16*5)= 142.
Now find the amount of phosphorus present in this amount, which is (31*2)/142= 0.4366...
The question said, only 30% of it dissolves, so 0.4366*30= 13.09, which is almost equal to 13.1, hence answer is B.

Question 4-
Ethanol will not react with NaOH. Since a hydroxyl group is present in both of them, no nucleophilic substitution will happen, so it has to be ethanoic acid.

Question 5-
This question is hell tricky, and I've been trying this for half an hour now, and I don't see how to differentiate between A and D, both of 1 mol of A and D, will require 2 mol of HCN, and both will change the color of potassium dichromate.
I will try to brain storm this question with one of my friends, and she might come up with something. :p
Till then I'll be grateful if someone can reason out why it should be D, not A, please?
Here's the question:
attachment.php
A ketone doesn't change the color of potassium dichromate (because it can't be further oxidized), so it can't be A.

Reaction score
Concentrated sulfuric acid can behave both as a strong acid and as an oxidising agent.

With which compound does concentrated sulfuric acid react in this way?

A. Ethanol
B. Magnesium Carbonate
C. Propanenitrile
D. Sodium Bromide

Why?

---

In the graph of acidity of period 2 oxides, acidity decreases down the period... But is the acidity of P4O10, SO3, and Cl2O7 the same, or does it decrease as well?

Well the first answer shud be D (sodium bromide)
beacasue bromide ions are oxidised form Br- to Br2. (Oxidising power of halogens decreases down the group whereas reducing power increases

Cl2O7 is the most acidic . U have misinterpreted or probably theres some misconception :)

Reaction score
Well the first answer shud be D (sodium bromide)
beacasue bromide ions are oxidised form Br- to Br2. (Oxidising power of halogens decreases down the group whereas reducing power increases

Cl2O7 is the most acidic . U have misinterpreted or probably theres some misconception :)

Thank you for the first one.

As for the second one, yes, you are right. I accidentally wrote that acidity decreases, whereas acidity actually increases, but since the graph goes down, I misinterpreted it. :p

So, yeah, I know Cl2O7 is most acidic, but is it a lot more acidic than SO3 and P4O10? As in, would the graph be at an incline, or straight?

Reaction score
Thank you for the first one.

As for the second one, yes, you are right. I accidentally wrote that acidity decreases, whereas acidity actually increases, but since the graph goes down, I misinterpreted it. :p

So, yeah, I know Cl2O7 is most acidic, but is it a lot more acidic than SO3 and P4O10? As in, would the graph be at an incline, or straight?
yup man , because chlorine goes for the highest oxidation (+7) , in Cl2O7. it makes the most acidic of all period three solutions

Reaction score
Oh, sorry I was wrong there, it does have a +2 charge. :\ Actually, all of the other elements are larger but beryllium is the only one which has the same charge density as Al. You can figure that out from the data booklet, that's why it said "use of the data booklet is relevant to this question".
all these elements belong to group 2. and why cant it be magnesium aluminium is right next to magnesium in periodic table?

Reaction score
The equation below represents the combination of gaseous atoms of non-metal X and of
hydrogen to form gaseous X2H6 molecules.
2X(g) + 6H(g) → X2H6(g) ΔH = –2775 kJ mol–1
The bond energy of an X–H bond is 395 kJ mol–1.

What is the bond energy of an X–X bond?
A – 405.0 kJ mol–1
B – 202.5 kJ mol–1
C +202.5 kJ mol–1
D +405.0 kJ mol–1

How is the answer D ?