• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
moreover, we just have to look if the total moles at one side are equal to moles on the other side for this method? We donot have to consider the individual moles of compounds right? And this methold is true for all the reactions or only reversible?
I would really advised against checking the sum of moles of reactants vs products.

Use the Initial/Change/Equilibrium table, that works for all cases.

Reaction score
but isn't sodium chloride gona react with water to form an alkaline sol ?

Nope. NaCl is a neutral solution,

But to explore your thoughts of it forming an alkaline solution, could you try to write an equation to that?

Reaction score
View attachment 51477Q what can be the two structural isomers for penton-3-one?

one more could be if u place the CO group on second carbon atom rather than 3rd[/QUOTE]

My concern is that these are actually "isomers of pentanone", not "isomers of penton-3-one".

There is only one structure that penton-3-one, CH3CH2COCH2CH3.

So the question wording is a bit strange.

Reaction score
View attachment 51477Q what can be the two structural isomers for penton-3-one?

This question actually came in my paper..
the first one was already drawn and we had to make two others.
I made the second one ,you have drawn, but i am doubtful because this changes the position of functional group from 1 to 2.. :( what should be the answer
This sounds a bit strange, penton-3-one has only one structure.

Reaction score
That is the ester right?

Then the question states that Q is hydrolyzed with sulfuric acid

C4H8O2 --> acid + alcohol

Then the mixture was oxidized to obtained a single product, R, in other words, the alcohol in the above reaction is oxidized to become the same compound as the acid.

It simply means the alcohol has the same number of carbons as the acid.

We have 4 carbons to divide equally among the two....so the alcohol was ethanol and the acid was ethanoic acid.

When this mixture was oxidized, all we end up with is a sample of ethanoic acid.
Thanks a lot

Reaction score
but I remember exactly it said write the displayed formula of 2 structural isomers of pentane 3 one :/

Last edited:
Reaction score
This question actually came in my paper..
the first one was already drawn and we had to make two others.
I made the second one ,you have drawn, but i am doubtful because this changes the position of functional group from 1 to 2.. :( what should be the answer
wat do you mean by 1 to 2??....Que is about structural isomer of a ketone whose name is pentane 3 one ryt......in structural isomer u can alter the position of functional group except for carbon 1 and carbon 4......I have place the CO group on Carbon 2 not 1 or 4 which means that it is correct

Reaction score
That is the ester right?

Then the question states that Q is hydrolyzed with sulfuric acid

C4H8O2 --> acid + alcohol

Then the mixture was oxidized to obtained a single product, R, in other words, the alcohol in the above reaction is oxidized to become the same compound as the acid.

It simply means the alcohol has the same number of carbons as the acid.

We have 4 carbons to divide equally among the two....so the alcohol was ethanol and the acid was ethanoic acid.

When this mixture was oxidized, all we end up with is a sample of ethanoic acid.
So its like the Ester has 4 carbon atoms and we distribute them equally so 2 which is ETH ?
I think I get it.
Thank you

Reaction score
You mean this does happen? :whistle:

If we write it as NaCl + H2O --> NaOH + HCl

The forward reaction really really really small compared to the backward reaction. The equilibrium lies very much to the left.

Does the forward reaction happen? Not to any extent to make it significant.

Reaction score
wat do you mean by 1 to 2??....Que is about structural isomer of a ketone whose name is pentane 3 one ryt......in structural isomer u can alter the position of functional group except for carbon 1 and carbon 4......I have place the CO group on Carbon 2 not 1 or 4 which means that it is correct
this would have happened if they said pentanone. but here they have specified the position of Functional group.

Reaction score
one more could be if u place the CO group on second carbon atom rather than 3rd

My concern is that these are actually "isomers of pentanone", not "isomers of penton-3-one".

There is only one structure that penton-3-one, CH3CH2COCH2CH3.

So the question wording is a bit strange.[/QUOTE]
pentane 3 one is just a name to coinfuse I guess actually pentan3one is pentanone just func group on carbon 3