• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w08_qp_4.pdf
Could someone please help me with qn no 2(e)? I don't understand why the order with respect to H+ is 0
w.r.t. H2O2 :
0.70/.05 = 1.4/1.0
7/5 = 7/5

w.r.t. H+ :
if we consider the conc of H2O2 first and compare it with rate:
0.09/0.05 = 1.8/1.0
9/5 = 9/5

it shows that the rate is changing just because of H2O2 .... which means that however much the conc of H+ changes, it won't have any effect on the rate of reaction. so wrt H+ the order of reaction is 0

Reaction score
I´ve already answered this question a few times... Anyways. Here what you should be careful with is the accuracy. Maintain it with 3sf. So once you divide by the smallest number and get 1 : 1.33: 1.16 ratio you just have to convert these numbers into integers. You do it through trial and error until you get all integers. If you times everything by 6 you get an integer (or atleast really close to it).

Hope it helps.
sure helped! THANK YOU!!

Reaction score
I will follow through the question from beginning to let you know how examiner give you hints.
Code:
pattern:
-(information)
the deduction we can make from information

the alcohol will oxidise to produce aldehyde and then will produce carboxyllic acid. as a single compound is formed, both carboxylic acid from ester and oxidised form alcohol are same. the only option we are left with is ethyl ethanoate. which will hydrolyse to ethanol and ethanoic acid. ethanol will then oxidise to ethanal. ethanal will oxidise to ethanoic acid. as the test for C=O and CHO are negative there is no aldehyde. the only thing left is ethanoic acid.

i hope it clears the confusion and helps in reaching conclusions in similar questions.
good luck for the papers :)

Could you pls pls explain a bit further as to why it can't be methyl ethanoate, Or propyl ethanoate, hence leaving ethyl ethanoate as the only option? thanks!

Reaction score
Um for silicon chlorides reaction with water, do we write Si(OH)4 as the product, or SiO2,?

They're both acceptable, but the preferred product is SiO2

C = CH2(OH)CH(OH)COOH
E = CH3COO-

C+E = esterification. CH2(OOCCH3)CH(OOCCH3)COOH. Another way of writing this is CH2(OCOCH3)CH(OCOCH3)COOH but this OCO shiz always confuses me so I stick to the OOC usage.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me whether all the workings are needed in the calculations(especially titrations) in paper 3?
In marking schemes they put all steps into 1 working step.

Reaction score
View attachment 40711

look at Highlighted Parts!!
Problem is should we show the workings step by step because in some papers there are questions to calculate the moles and then the concentration in same part.
If we want we can simplify and write it down in one step like the marking scheme does. But what should we do actually simplify or write it step wise?

And another question is H2O2 a oxidising agent or a reducing agent and why?

One more, is silver sulfate a prercipitate? Because when doing a paper i thought that if their is a sulfate ion if we test that for Cl-(although it doesn't have) we might get a white precipitate if silver sulfate is ppt. and that might mislead us to thinking it has a Cl- ion.