• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
First tell me that can I right Co2 instead of Carboxylic Acid when Alkene undergoes reaction with KMNO4 hot concentrated. because like the end product of hot Kmno4 is always co2 gas

Secondly.. how B and C are chiral ? (written in Ms) like they dont have different functional group attached to it.
IMG_20140501_154959.jpg
9701 paper 23 May june 2012.

Suchal Riaz

Reaction score
Problem is should we show the workings step by step because in some papers there are questions to calculate the moles and then the concentration in same part.
If we want we can simplify and write it down in one step like the marking scheme does. But what should we do actually simplify or write it step wise?

And another question is H2O2 a oxidising agent or a reducing agent and why?

One more, is silver sulfate a prercipitate? Because when doing a paper i thought that if their is a sulfate ion if we test that for Cl-(although it doesn't have) we might get a white precipitate if silver sulfate is ppt. and that might mislead us to thinking it has a Cl- ion.
Its Better If you Show Ur working and Be on Safe Side :)..

And H2O2 is Oxidizing Agent because H2O2 itself is reduced... while reacting it loses Oxygen to form water which is reduction.
eg . 2H+(aq) + H2O2(aq)+2Fe2+(aq) -> 2Fe3+(aq) +2H2O(l)

And yes Silver sulphate is insoluble . but i dont get your question?! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
First tell me that can I right Co2 instead of Carboxylic Acid when Alkene undergoes reaction with KMNO4 hot concentrated. because like the end product of hot Kmno4 is always co2 gas

Secondly.. how B and C are chiral ? (written in Ms) like they dont have different functional group attached to it.
View attachment 40722
9701 paper 23 May june 2012.
Suchal Riaz
But if You read the question carefully it says Write the Formula of ORGANIC Product.. so CO2 is Not ORGANIC :p

Plz look at attachments.. (I m Sorry For Bad Drawing ) :)

Chem.JPG

Reaction score
Its Better If you Show Ur working and Be on Safe Side :)..

And H2O2 is Oxidizing Agent because H2O2 itself is reduced... while reacting it loses Oxygen to form water which is reduction.
eg . 2H+(aq) + H2O2(aq)+2Fe2+(aq) -> 2Fe3+(aq) +2H2O(l)

And yes Silver sulphate is insoluble . but i dont get your question?! :)
Thanks.

So basically your are saying to write all the working step by step without joining them into one step huh?

OK, the other question is say there is a a salt having both a Cl- and a sulfate ion, how do we confirm it has a Cl- ion?
Because if we test with AgNO3 we will anyway get a precipitate with both the 2 anions.

Reaction score
Thanks.

So basically your are saying to write all the working step by step without joining them into one step huh?

OK, the other question is say there is a a salt having both a Cl- and a sulfate ion, how do we confirm it has a Cl- ion?
Because if we test with AgNO3 we will anyway get a precipitate with both the 2 anions.
Much Better Question this Time...
You could Use Silver then Do conformatory test with Ammonia.. only Chloride Is Soluble..
Or You could use Barium Compound.. which gives Ppt with Sulphate Ion only :)!

Reaction score
can someone explain to me the difference between calculating the amount ,in moles, of hydrogen atoms and hydrogen molecules?

Reaction score
Much Better Question this Time...
You could Use Silver then Do conformatory test with Ammonia.. only Chloride Is Soluble..
Or You could use Barium Compound.. which gives Ppt with Sulphate Ion only :)!
So then how do we test for the Cl- ion then? For that we must use AgNO3 right? Then when we add ammonia the AgCl ppt. would dissolve but then the AgSO4 ppt. would remain and we would not know whether the ppt actually did dissolve or not?

Reaction score
but barium chloride is also a ppt. it is given as a standard test for Cl-.
And also how can we see solubility when ppt of sulfate is left?