• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this 3 (ii)? And can you tell me how reducing power or oxidising power is affected (increases or decreases) in oxides of these elements. (general trend?)
View attachment 40556
answer is : S or C or N or P
MnO4-, CrO42- ,Cr2O72- , HNO3, HClO4 ,HClO, NaClO, H2SO4, halogens, potassium nitrate, and nitric acid. are oxidising agents
where as halides, earth metals, formic acid, and sulfite compounds are reducing agents
hydrogen gas acts as an oxidizing agent when it combines with metals and as a reducing agent when it reacts with nonmetals

in ths question the answer can't be P... CO, NO, NO2 n SO2 or SO3 are all reducing agents

Reaction score
MnO4-, CrO42- ,Cr2O72- , HNO3, HClO4 ,HClO, NaClO, H2SO4, halogens, potassium nitrate, and nitric acid. are oxidising agents
where as halides, earth metals, formic acid, and sulfite compounds are reducing agents
hydrogen gas acts as an oxidizing agent when it combines with metals and as a reducing agent when it reacts with nonmetals

in ths question the answer can't be P... CO, NO, NO2 n SO2 or SO3 are all reducing agents
gr8 (y)

Reaction score
Obviously any order. If someone doesn't know q1 they won't leave the entire paper now :p
Logic :oops:
What i was doing in P1 , was making some spaces inbetween question i dont know , and then reducing the size to fit the leaved space
No the task becam easier:D

Reaction score
Can anybody PLEASE explain how 1: 1.33: 1.61 = 6: 8: 7 ? :confused:

View attachment 40571
View attachment 40572

I´ve already answered this question a few times... Anyways. Here what you should be careful with is the accuracy. Maintain it with 3sf. So once you divide by the smallest number and get 1 : 1.33: 1.16 ratio you just have to convert these numbers into integers. You do it through trial and error until you get all integers. If you times everything by 6 you get an integer (or atleast really close to it).

Hope it helps.

Reaction score

Thanks! but mark scheme says P as well and thanks for the general examples really helpful.
But incase of only *element oxides* in the given periodic table in question is there some kind of general trend on the reducing strength of the *element oxides*?

Reaction score
Can someone plz upload notes or link of A2 organic reactions that contain complete condition like where to warm or heat and reflux etc.
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Can someone plz help me with this May June 2010 paper 41 question 5ai, why are we not taking left electrode potential as +0.83v?Again in part B why not take Eo at cathode to be +0.13v.
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I´ve already answered this question a few times... Anyways. Here what you should be careful with is the accuracy. Maintain it with 3sf. So once you divide by the smallest number and get 1 : 1.33: 1.16 ratio you just have to convert these numbers into integers. You do it through trial and error until you get all integers. If you times everything by 6 you get an integer (or atleast really close to it).

Hope it helps.

so how do we decide when we can round off and wen we have to be extra careful about this stuff??

Reaction score

Attachments

• Q27.JPG
    Q27.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Why does ammonia react with NaCl but no with NaI? Isn't iodide more reactive than chloride due to its weaker bond energy? ANYONE?