• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Plz anyone tell me what is the relation between cuticle and stomata...???
I mean why is there a thicker waxy layer where the stomata are present???
A plant's cuticle is the waxy layer protecting the epidermis of the leaf from excess evaporation of water as for stomata it's the one in which transpiration happens
The relation between both is that both can prevent excess transpiration ( Example: Stomata Closes It's pores on a really hot day)

Reaction score
A plant's cuticle is the waxy layer protecting the epidermis of the leaf from excess evaporation of water as for stomata it's the one in which transpiration happens
The relation between both is that both can prevent excess transpiration ( Example: Stomata Closes It's pores on a really hot day)
But consider this thing that a normal plant has stomatal pores on the lower surface and its cuticle is densed on the same surface...
And a water lilly has stomatal pores on the upper surface and its cuticle is thicker on the upper surface
Why is it so?

Reaction score
But consider this thing that a normal plant has stomatal pores on the lower surface and its cuticle is densed on the same surface...
And a water lilly has stomatal pores on the upper surface and its cuticle is thicker on the upper surface
Why is it so?

Perhaps it's because of environmental conditions and mutation.
Different flowers have different positions, Looking at a desert plant you'll notice that it's stomata is in the lower surface in order not lose water so much and dehydrate as it's a really hot climate weather.

Reaction score
the question stated that trundle had circumference of 50 cm but in diagram trundle had 100cm circumference

You sure buddy? that doesnt matter any way when the question already stated that its circumference 50cm
btw what did answer did you write in the oscilloscope question the one one in which they asked what would happen to the trace when resistance of rheostat will be increased.

Reaction score
Perhaps it's because of environmental conditions and mutation.
Different flowers have different positions, Looking at a desert plant you'll notice that it's stomata is in the lower surface in order not lose water so much and dehydrate as it's a really hot climate weather.
Ok thanx...!!!!
And best of luck for your biology paper tomorrow :)

Reaction score
You sure buddy? that doesnt matter any way when the question already stated that its circumference 50cm
btw what did answer did you write in the oscilloscope question the one one in which they asked what would happen to the trace when resistance of rheostat will be increased.
question was when resistance would be decreased. The dot move upwards

Reaction score
It matters because the diagram had 10 marks of 10cm which means wheel had circumference of 100 cm

Reaction score
Thicker waxy layer on the cuticle prevents loss of water ( transpiration ) and the stomata is present in the bottom so reduce water loss on perhaps a sunny day coz if they were on top they would be directly exposed , they open and close accordingly to their requirements

Reaction score
i know why :cool: , beause on the upper surface of the leaf the pallisade mesophyl is present which is dense hence less vapour escapes from the upper surface thus lesser waxy layer but on the under side there is spongy mesophyl whichis loosey packed and has many air pockets, more water loss thus more waxy layer.i dont think its related it to the presence of stomata . What is your resource i dont think its correct (n)

Reaction score
Thicker waxy layer on the cuticle prevents loss of water ( transpiration ) and the stomata is present in the bottom so reduce water loss on perhaps a sunny day coz if they were on top they would be directly exposed , they open and close accordingly to their requirements
Btw stomata does not have a waxy layer ...

Reaction score
Ok i just mixed it up ur right resistance was decreased which increased the voltage across the fixed resistor Sorry :oops:

Reaction score
i know why :cool: , beause on the upper surface of the leaf the pallisade mesophyl is present which is dense hence less vapour escapes from the upper surface thus lesser waxy layer but on the under side there is spongy mesophyl whichis loosey packed and has many air pockets, more water loss thus more waxy layer.i dont think its related it to the presence of stomata . What is your resource i dont think its correct (n)
I am studying from 'Biology Matters' and that is an authentic one...
The question just arose in my mind...and it is not linked to the book ;)

Reaction score
But the stomatal pores in alilly are located on the upper epidetmis :-\