• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what a potentiometer and an npn transistor is ????

A potentiometer is exactly what a potential divider is,u have a sliding contact by moving which u can adjust the resistance ! its helps to divide or distribute the pd !
and can be calculated by !
if a circuit contains two resistors R1 and R2 the potential difference accross R1 = (R1)(emf (voltage of battery))/(R1 + R2 ) in this way u find the pd accross R1 !

Reaction score
a
A potentiometer is exactly what a potential divider is,u have a sliding contact by moving which u can adjust the resistance ! its helps to divide or distribute the pd !
and can be calculated by !
if a circuit contains two resistors R1 and R2 the potential difference accross R1 = (R1)(emf (voltage of battery))/(R1 + R2 ) in this way u find the pd accross R1 !
nd a npn and pnp transistor ???

Reaction score
Reaction score
umm guys so whats the conclusion? cuz i asked ma sir today n he said acceleration decreses with micrease in mass but mass isnt effected by acceleration cuz its a constant quantity and he proved it by F=ma...
what do u guys say???

Read this below post !
sure , but you skipped the part that you asked:

F/m = a

so when m increases a decreases .
Mass is proportional to accelaration (if Force remains constant ) but is certainly not dependent on it .
Dependence would mean that a specific mass produces only a specific accelaration. Which is totally wrong.

So the answer to your question is : No

So you see? proportionality is completely different from dependence . Sadly most M.A teachers don't even understand this difference .

Reaction score
And since we've started discussing the topic , i'll add another thing .
Heat capacity is dependent on mass while specific heat capacity is not. Even the book get's this wrong and says it's the other way around . The reason has been explained in the earlier posts. Specific heat capacity is only for 1kg mass . So if the mass is constant , so is it's specific heat capacity ( duh ) . But Heat Capacity can be of any mass and so is dependent on it. Again , teachers fail to use their heads while teaching and follow books blindly :( .

Credit goes to Sir Akhtar Mehmood for explaining this (to me) !

Reaction score
Heat capacity is dependent on mass while specific heat capacity is not. Even the book get's this wrong and says it's the other way around . The reason has been explained in the earlier posts. Specific heat capacity is only for 1kg mass . So if the mass is constant , so is it's specific heat capacity ( duh ) . But Heat Capacity can be of any mass and so is dependent on it. Again , teachers fail to use their heads while teaching and follow books blindly :( .

hmm great. but lets not go on blaming our teacher. whatever they are, they are our guiders :)
thanks for the help tho. i was really confused about that first part :)

Reaction score

excuse me my friend..specific heat capacity depends on mass..
formula for Heat capacity
Q=C Delta THETA

formuala for specific heat capacity
Q= mc Delta Theta!! :D

do correct me if a m wrong!! :D

Reaction score

Heat capacity and Specific heat capacity are almost the same, in specific it's the energy needed to rise the temperature of 1Kg of substance. How can it be different?

Reaction score
excuse me my friend..specific heat capacity depends on mass..
formula for Heat capacity
Q=C Delta THETA

formuala for specific heat capacity
Q= mc Delta Theta!! :D

do correct me if a m wrong!! :D

Did you even pretend to read the post?
I've already explained it .

Reaction score
Salam mates. I have this problem on the Electromagnetic Spectrum part of the Physics syllabus. Could someone please explain to me, what types of wavelengths in the spectrum, are penetrating, and what types are not. For example, if short or long wavelengths are absorbed or reflected. A source would help as well. Thanks in advance ^_^

Reaction score
no i did read the post but still i thnk that what i wrote is right...:D
yes you are right , but that point is important . so get over your arrogance :p

Heat capacity and Specific heat capacity are almost the same, in specific it's the energy needed to rise the temperature of 1Kg of substance. How can it be different?
they aren't . It's pretty simple if you sit and think about it for a second .

Reaction score
yes you are right , but that point is important . so get over your arrogance :p

they aren't . It's pretty simple if you sit and think about it for a second .
Yes! It's simple and I know that they are the same thing. The difference is that Specific heat capacity, rises temp of 1kg of any substance when heat capacity has no such issues.

Reaction score
could any one help me in physics J05 paper 2
question (2) part (c)
question (5) part (a)
question (7) part (a)
question (11) part (a) (iv)
plzz do help and quickly!!!..:D

Reaction score
umm guys so whats the conclusion? cuz i asked ma sir today n he said acceleration decreses with micrease in mass but mass isnt effected by acceleration cuz its a constant quantity and he proved it by F=ma...
what do u guys say???
Go with what your sir told you...