• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Ohh well its quite the opposite for me
Are you done with all pastpapers including Atps? :eek:
I'm done with bio books and notes just left with one chapter of drugs and I've done somewhat topical pp I'll now start yearly pastpapers from 2015 and go backwards
Will do same in every subject as in phys and chem
And I need to do atps too but I'll do atps when I'm done with my theories atleast 5 years
As for math addmath I've been doing topical pastpapers but I'll start yearly from today
I'm worried for English though, Idk how to study for that

Yep done with everything including Atps.
Yeah English worries me as well. I have strange problem in English. I can't come up with good stories. My stories suck but everything else is good. I just go blank sometimes when trying to come up with a nice story.
Are you appearing for both Maths and Ad-maths? Oh and in Maths, do you find the number sequence questions frustrating. I was doing 2015 p12 Q.24 and it took really long.
Btw , If you have any useful notes on drugs , micro-organism , locomotion etc that you can give easily , it would be a great help.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Yep done with everything including Atps.
Yeah English worries me as well. I have strange problem in English. I can't come up with good stories. My stories suck but everything else is good. I just go blank sometimes when trying to come up with a nice story.
Are you appearing for both Maths and Ad-maths? Oh and in Maths, do you find the number sequence questions frustrating. I was doing 2015 p12 Q.24 and it took really long.
Btw , If you have any useful notes on drugs , micro-organism , locomotion etc that you can give easily , it would be a great help.
Good luck!

Can you give me tips for atps like when should I start and how many years and what's the pattern etc
They freak me out
Esp cause I'm way behind in theories too I mean I haven't started practising p2 yet except in chem
Yes both math addmath
No number sequence is quite easy practise their topic wise pp you'll get the hang of it and you'll realise it won't take your much time in the end either
I haven't started drugs yet
I did microorganisms from lam peng book and locomotion for Ron pickering check those out
And you can specify which topics of these you find difficult I'll try my best to explain
Goodluck to youu too! :D
Btw how are you juggling between phys bio and chem as in one subject per day or what's your technique since it's stressful for me to manage all three :/

Reaction score
Can you give me tips for atps like when should I start and how many years and what's the pattern etc
They freak me out
Esp cause I'm way behind in theories too I mean I haven't started practising p2 yet except in chem
Yes both math addmath
No number sequence is quite easy practise their topic wise pp you'll get the hang of it and you'll realise it won't take your much time in the end either
I haven't started drugs yet
I did microorganisms from lam peng book and locomotion for Ron pickering check those out
And you can specify which topics of these you find difficult I'll try my best to explain
Goodluck to youu too! :D
Btw how are you juggling between phys bio and chem as in one subject per day or what's your technique since it's stressful for me to manage all three :/

Atps shouldn't be too much trouble. Weightage is low for atps. Do as many papers as you can but it would be wiser to focus more on p2. Finish P2 first since Atp is a little general. There is a graph in each , for Bio sometimes drawing. Mostly about how you can improve investigations. For Chem just know salts, moles and the rest is easy. Physics is quite general. Shouldn't be a problem if you have done p1 and p2.
Well these days Im finishing maths but earlier I used to do what I liked. Basically I made sure I did equal of each for example if I was on 2010 in Chem , I would do till 2010 for Physics and Bio too before starting 2011 for Chem.
I'll ask in a few days , when I start revising Bio :)
Are you doing variants too ? (papers 11 , 21)

Reaction score
Atps shouldn't be too much trouble. Weightage is low for atps. Do as many papers as you can but it would be wiser to focus more on p2. Finish P2 first since Atp is a little general. There is a graph in each , for Bio sometimes drawing. Mostly about how you can improve investigations. For Chem just know salts, moles and the rest is easy. Physics is quite general. Shouldn't be a problem if you have done p1 and p2.
Well these days Im finishing maths but earlier I used to do what I liked. Basically I made sure I did equal of each for example if I was on 2010 in Chem , I would do till 2010 for Physics and Bio too before starting 2011 for Chem.
I'll ask in a few days , when I start revising Bio :)
Are you doing variants too ? (papers 11 , 21)
Oh this is such an awesome advice, I'll try following this too
I'm thinking that now in april I should do one subject from phys chem bio plus addmath or math in a day
For physics chemistry bio even when I'm left with few topics I feel that it's time to close the books and do pastpapers so I can see where I stand in the topics I've already done and so I can get an overview of a few topics left
So I'm planning to do their p1 and P2
Once I'm done with atleast 5 years in each I'll open back my books
I'm thinking to keep a day aside for atps like a Sunday perhaps when I'll do all atps combined and check out the areas I lack in
And I'll follow your advice of making sure my chem bio and phys go along with each other
I haven't done any variant yet but I'm planning to practise them as well

Reaction score
Okay I want to be a part of this ...... DarkVoid for english bro i can help you. If you lack writing in stories try to imagine or try to relate your everyday life in those stories or the movies you watch. Try to add your twist as well so it doesnt look like a copy of that movie but if you are comfortable with Essays try to do them because you can take an essay anywhere in a story , Informative and many forms. However the best advice is for english that I got from my seniors and teachers and my common sense is that you focus more on comprehensions rather than on stories (well ofcourse if you are too weak in essays then practice) because comprehensions are pure answers which the examiner cannot deny and subtract marks. Try to do english comprehension as much as possible and write essays or stories daily. The idea is that writing everyday will not favor is absolutely preposterous. When you write your brain starts to become more trained in producing ideas in a short amount of time. Worry less about english the grading thresholds are low but write as best as possible.

Reaction score
Well my schedule of doing practice is a whole lot different. I try to do MCQS in one day both invariant of Winter and then on the other day Summers. Same for Atps as well. I take a minimum two days for Structured and again both invariant and summers and winters. From 2010-2015. This is same for physics and Chemistry. Smiling Star for atps there is a pattern but for Atps try to do as much as possible and it is also possible to do them all in one day and thing with Chemistry Atp is that at the end you become so efficient that you can do an atp 30 min earlier.Physics atp is a pain in life it is because it doesnt have that much of a pattern as chemistry but the key is to practice practice practice. Try to take out 4 days for complete atps and believe you can do them in one day by Taking 15min break between each. Thats how I did in the Mocks and I got 60/60 in chemistry. I have done all past papers since 2010-2015 both invariants now just revising my mistakes and making myself perfect. Now a days I am on IGCSE extended past papers and I think they are best for practice when you are done with you average GCSE past papers.

Reaction score
Well my schedule of doing practice is a whole lot different. I try to do MCQS in one day both invariant of Winter and then on the other day Summers. Same for Atps as well. I take a minimum two days for Structured and again both invariant and summers and winters. From 2010-2015. This is same for physics and Chemistry. Smiling Star for atps there is a pattern but for Atps try to do as much as possible and it is also possible to do them all in one day and thing with Chemistry Atp is that at the end you become so efficient that you can do an atp 30 min earlier.Physics atp is a pain in life it is because it doesnt have that much of a pattern as chemistry but the key is to practice practice practice. Try to take out 4 days for complete atps and believe you can do them in one day by Taking 15min break between each. Thats how I did in the Mocks and I got 60/60 in chemistry. I have done all past papers since 2010-2015 both invariants now just revising my mistakes and making myself perfect. Now a days I am on IGCSE extended past papers and I think they are best for practice when you are done with you average GCSE past papers.

Hii there, yeps I'll follow that actually the thing is I'm done with almost every thing in syllabus it's just I'm not so sure about it, I don't feel confident and that's why I haven't started pastpapers yet because the section B qs are difficult for me and I feel that I haven't revised good enough so I keep on revising chapters
My mocks didn't go well either
But now Im thinking to do what I've previously said
I'm struggling in attempting pastpapers so I'm thinking to leave the book and notes for a while even the chapters for which I feel that Idk anything and start doing pastpapers daily the way I've mentioned before
What sayy bro? Is it good enough of a plan?

Reaction score
Hii there, yeps I'll follow that actually the thing is I'm done with almost every thing in syllabus it's just I'm not so sure about it, I don't feel confident and that's why I haven't started pastpapers yet because the section B qs are difficult for me and I feel that I haven't revised good enough so I keep on revising chapters
My mocks didn't go well either
But now Im thinking to do what I've previously said
I'm struggling in attempting pastpapers so I'm thinking to leave the book and notes for a while even the chapters for which I feel that Idk anything and start doing pastpapers daily the way I've mentioned before
What sayy bro? Is it good enough of a plan?
Yeah dude but you can only gain that confidence through attempting the past papers. There is no better Confidence booster when you get excellent marks when you attempt the past papers. Section B? try to do radioactive questions if you are comfortable in them and they are mostly a piece of cake. Time is short bro try to learn and implement as fast as possible and the best thing about the past papers is that if you feel you lack somewhere and you got your marks subtracted due to it while doing the past papers then revise that because that the most probable area you specifically lack. If you would have confusion in any question in the past paper post it up here. We will try to solve and help you.

Reaction score
Yeah dude but you can only gain that confidence through attempting the past papers. There is no better Confidence booster when you get excellent marks when you attempt the past papers. Section B? try to do radioactive questions if you are comfortable in them and they are mostly a piece of cake. Time is short bro try to learn and implement as fast as possible and the best thing about the past papers is that if you feel you lack somewhere and you got your marks subtracted due to it while doing the past papers then revise that because that the most probable area you specifically lack. If you would have confusion in any question in the past paper post it up here. We will try to solve and help you.

Thankyouu so muchh:'))
Yes this helps I'm on pastpapers now
No more books
And will follow this advice
Radioactive us easy except for graphs of half life I fund those top confusing
Can you explain that? Or post a link to any helpfun resource?

Reaction score
Thankyouu so muchh:'))
Yes this helps I'm on pastpapers now
No more books
And will follow this advice
Radioactive us easy except for graphs of half life I fund those top confusing
Can you explain that? Or post a link to any helpfun resource?
Yeah I can help with the graphs. These graphs are actually an outcome of an experiment that has come by detecting the count rates of the radioactive substance through a range of time until the substance fully decomposes well in most graphs. Half life is defined as the time taken by a radioactive substance to decompose half of its atoms. So it means that if we divide the count rate by 2 we get the number of atoms left after decomposition. The graph shows the time it takes do that. For example I have a radioactive source whose graph I have made and it shows the starting count rate as 500 and the examiner tells me to find the half life using the graph given. So I will divide the count rate by 2 do get how many are left after decomposition 500/2 is equal to 250. So will check on the graph the the count rate of 250 and find the time taken which would be the half life. Another question they ask is about the background radiation and the trick with this is that we first detect the back ground radiation and subtract it from the original count rate and then after we have found the half life of a substance we again add it. To find the back ground radiation count rate in the graph we have to observe where the gradient is flat and where that gradient hits for example if the gradient hits 28 count rate then it is the background radiation. check the graph I have posted.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    213.2 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Find the background radiation , then calcaulate the original count rate of the substance and then find the half life. solve these questions and if you do this without any problem then you have cleared concepts about it.

Reaction score
Yeah I can help with the graphs. These graphs are actually an outcome of an experiment that has come by detecting the count rates of the radioactive substance through a range of time until the substance fully decomposes well in most graphs. Half life is defined as the time taken by a radioactive substance to decompose half of its atoms. So it means that if we divide the count rate by 2 we get the number of atoms left after decomposition. The graph shows the time it takes do that. For example I have a radioactive source whose graph I have made and it shows the starting count rate as 500 and the examiner tells me to find the half life using the graph given. So I will divide the count rate by 2 do get how many are left after decomposition 500/2 is equal to 250. So will check on the graph the the count rate of 250 and find the time taken which would be the half life. Another question they ask is about the background radiation and the trick with this is that we first detect the back ground radiation and subtract it from the original count rate and then after we have found the half life of a substance we again add it. To find the back ground radiation count rate in the graph we have to observe where the gradient is flat and where that gradient hits for example if the gradient hits 28 count rate then it is the background radiation. check the graph I have posted.

Oh okay thanks alot bro
So background radiation will be where graph is flat
And if they ask the background radiation so y value of where the graph goes flat will be the answer,no?
Thanks alott:'))

Reaction score
Oh okay thanks alot bro
So background radiation will be where graph is flat
And if they ask the background radiation so y value of where the graph goes flat will be the answer,no?
Thanks alott:'))
Yeah. so what the background radiation in the graph I have given.

Reaction score
Find the background radiation , then calcaulate the original count rate of the substance and then find the half life. solve these questions and if you do this without any problem then you have cleared concepts about it.

Yes I'll do the topical pp for thus chapter thanks alot:')
And can you tell me why is option A is correct?1460016638498-678969458.jpg

Reaction score
Yes I'll do the topical pp for thus chapter thanks alot:')
And can you tell me why is option A is correct?View attachment 60081
Check the post i have made. the rarefaction isnt going to reach the compression at P it is going to the other side or the other rarefaction which is produced so the time it takes for one rarefaction to go to another rarefaction is 0.02 and because the compression is between them meaning half way then we divide the 0.02 /2 to get the value.

Attachments

• 20160407_131816.jpg
    20160407_131816.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Check the post i have made. the rarefaction isnt going to reach the compression at P it is going to the other side or the other rarefaction which is produced so the time it takes for one rarefaction to go to another rarefaction is 0.02 and because the compression is between them meaning half way then we divide the 0.02 /2 to get the value.

Yay :D
Thankyou so much for helping me out :'))