• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A moot ENG language point(2014 May/June)

Reaction score
The theme given for the letter was most definitely too easy. I've no doubt most individuals will receive great marks if the tasks given were fulfilled. The only confusion that was to be made was the distinction between restaurant food and "service."; However, the food quality is part of the service offered by the staff. The definition of service itself, is doing work for someone else. This would by its definition include preparing a specific meal at the customers behest. The chefs in particular preparing the food, so if you wrote about the poor food, you should in theory be fine.

The only other confusion I'm not entirely certain about is whether poor facilities are included when we talk about, "poor service." e.g faulty generators, elevators, chairs, lights, etc.

When I wrote the paper myself, I too had this small confusion and avoided food altogether (Apart from the main disaster of the evening. The cake we had called for in advance).

I feel that many of us went a similar if not the exact route for the occasion (Reason of Celebration). Ours or one of our loved ones birthday. Poor service and/or food and finally full compensation in the form of a refund or free meal. It is in the last point that I think many others and I made the margin of error. Instead of compensation (and keeping in the theme of politeness) we should have instead advised the manager to improve the faults given. I.E, "Please wash the plates properly before handing them to us for use.", "Please provide optional plastic spoons," "Please provide forks!"

Well anyway, this is just my own analysis that I do for every paper I write. This is after all just O-level so we'll all pass with good structure, fulfillment of tasks and little to no grammatical issues.
Spot on bro.Good review
.It aint tht easy (like u said) if there is still confusion.I too wrote abt technical specs like AC(infact the out ot order elevator) and like tht;Like u I too am doubtful or apprehensive abt its relevancy(the ttech specs)
Abt the food,yeah tht,s where distinction has to be made.I think partly it can be attributed like poor service being late in providing food rendering it cold/insipid like tht .; Service wud here imply seriving the food:So..... I guess wht u wrote is....... also relevant! tht is the forks the plates cleanliness point,though not specifically food quality......Ah why cant I get over the difference!

Reaction score
That's what I did. I've asked many people, everybody says we were not supposed to write the address except one or two who disagree. Well, this is directed writing so we had to follow the instructions, I think 2-3 will be deducted. :(
no they wont be
helen toner said to an english teacher of mine that students are always worried about format should be appropriate whereas it is no compulsion at most an angry examiner may cut 1

Reaction score
it includes the bullet points not the format
technically there are no marks specified for format
SECTION 1 TASK FULFILMENT MARK
Band 1 (15–13 marks)

Good understanding of purpose.

Clear awareness of situation and audience.

Format entirely appropriate.

All required points developed in detail, fully amplified and well organised.

Given information well used to justify personal opinion and interpretation.

Tone and register entirely appropriate

Reaction score
guys did we had to write address in letter? as it said start from "dear sir"
further more how many points per a bullet we need, to get full in task fulfilment?

Reaction score
Band 1 (15–13 marks)

Format here refers to tone(as of the letter) and yeah likewise the slight structuring differences as of a report and letter,or article or speech which is quite clear by the way we would write the atual body;evrybody at least has some acquaintance with tht
Abt the format as of the latout since the y tell u to start frm dear sir,it is preferable to do so in tht way and start the letter dir.However including the whole format is absolutely( like u r sayin) is no wrong either;I am just saying since they have given us the provision,then simply follow like good little boys :D
Including a sub may be optional.Also the end has to have a format which all of us wud or perhaps shud know.Like urs faithfully.... e.t.c

Reaction score
Band 1 (15–13 marks)

that refers to tone man :p

Reaction score
Well, in my opinion, not certainly. The bullet point stated, "what went wrong"
I guess you have the freedom to describe and elaborate whether the food aspects or other failures or dilemmas. But I guess, if one has stated about the food quality, how inferior quality it had, how foul and repulsive it was, in short, how badly the food had gone LOL :D so it won't meant to be penalized!
Well just skimming over the topic,I think the poor service aspet in restaurant question does not imply the food;it may of course include catering style but not exactly food.I have gone thru many websites to define customer service and all tht in a restaurant and they have essentially discriminated food and service,often by an oft repeated phrase like:Customer wud come to restaurant for food but they will return due to the service" and u can surf urself this topic to clarify .Wht do U guys reckon,I mean it,s a firm content point for bullet 2 and 3.
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/examples-good-service-restaurant-industry-38058.html
U can surf more if u deem it necessary.

Reaction score
Well, in my opinion, not certainly. The bullet point stated, "what went wrong"
I guess you have the freedom to describe and elaborate whether the food aspects or other failures or dilemmas. But I guess, if one has stated about the food quality, how inferior quality it had, how foul and repulsive it was, in short, how badly the food had gone LOL :D so it won't meant to be penalized!
Yup tht was real dilemma for me:food and service aspect,esp since they mentioned at the start of question.but yeah we cud include abt food since they simply stated wht went wrong which wud have a wide scope to it,though I think and only think tht food being cold due to them being late in service and alike pts abt food wud be more suitable in this case

Reaction score
Was everybody successful in keeping the tone appropriate in Section 1 Letter Writing?
I thought my tone appeared apt..
Since I mentioned services beside the food I cud end the letter with this statement,which helped to make the tone more apt in my thinking
"Finally,i wud like to say tht we esteem ur food,have esteemed and hopefully will continue to do so.I hope tht u take prompt action with regard to this matter"
So pretty much the tone is appropriate