• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Okay guys, I had paper 34 today, and it went horribly lol. I missed up my serial dilution at the end (literally the last concentration) by mistake so I had to rush (as I started with Q2), I literally ran through Serial dilution allover again and stuff, That's why I didn't have time to revise. anyways, I have some doubts I wanna clear some doubts (my mistakes):
Q1)- for the hypothesis, I ran out of time so I wrote that I support the hypothesis because foam formed was increasing as you go down the concentration of ethanol. (All of my friends including the teacher said that they rejected the hypothesis because all of them had the same pH, yellow colour) So maybe I get an ECF? or maybe I am correct?
Q1)- For the line which was from 0.0 to 15.0 and u had to draw where U would be, was I supposed to label U only? Or I also had to label the other concentrations? and btw U was 10% (it was given in the material).
Q1)- For the Graph question (literally solved it while the teacher was waiting for me to take my paper), i labeled all the points correct, did the right scale, labelled the axis, and did everything but by mistake I started from origin and skipped the first point - the point which was on x=0 - and didn't draw a best fit line, instead I connected them together......how many marks am I gonna lose? 1 or 2?
Q1)- For the question after the graph which asked to measure the rate, of course since I didn't draw a line of best fit, my answers might be a bit off. Anyways, my doubt was that I forgot to divide by 3 so I only wrote the AU produced between 7 and 10mins. How many marks am I gonna lose?
------
Q2)- For drawing the yeast cells in both questions (the microscope and the diagram), I didn't draw any cell wall because I didn't see them, I only labeled and drew cytoplasm and nucleus. Is this fine? Or am I gonna lose marks?
Q2)- For the annotation part, was I supposed to write them in each box (for yeast) and describe what I saw? Or only tell the difference between M, I and Y?
Q2)- For the vessels diagram, was I supposed to make a table with differences? Or just label the differences? (I labeled the difference in size of the lumen, size of muscle and the overall width of the vessels).
Q2)- Finally for the magnification, I got 29.9 (16000um was my measured length) so I rounded it to 30x, is it fine?
------
Am sorry if my message is too long, but today was a bad experiment day for me :(
Hopefully, the MS goes easy on us and the curve is low, I would say 27-29ish but hopefully not above 30, Bcuz damn this paper was lengthy and annoying.

Reaction score
@angryrider
All i can say is now you can give it your all in MCQS and I wish you the best of luck. Besides i've seen many people pull of an A even with bad grades in practicals but yours isnt necessarily bad since we dont fully know yet.
Okay so for the labelling of differences of artery and vein was tunica intima, media, externa even not sure myself about this. For graph i dont think it was mentioned to draw line of best fit so we had to connect them.

Reaction score
@angryrider
All i can say is now you can give it your all in MCQS and I wish you the best of luck. Besides i've seen many people pull of an A even with bad grades in practicals but yours isnt necessarily bad since we dont fully know yet.
Okay so for the labelling of differences of artery and vein was tunica intima, media, externa even not sure myself about this. For graph i dont think it was mentioned to draw line of best fit so we had to connect them.

My brother's freind got a A* after getting a D in As practical

Reaction score
The normal primary response is produced after 12 days of infection (see the curve for H)
After G will be infected, there will be no memory cells but the primary response will take place, which will take 12 days...hope u get it:D
Don't laugh.I know you're laughing. *Angry face* :p.
And Thanks :D

Reaction score
I think it can not be A because due to the mixing of blood, some of the blood from the left atrium will go into the right atrium.
Since the pressure in the left atrium is lower than the right, so the pressure in pulmonary artery will decrease...not increase
I think pressure in left atrium is higher ..

Reaction score
Guys why not A??
I think i get it now
Blood from right atrium will leak to left side so the blood entering right ventricle would be less so blood would be pumped at lower pressure in pulmonary artery not at higher pressure so the blood will enter the lungs at a lower rate and the diffusion rate of oxygen saturation of haemoglobin will be less. Therefore C.

Reaction score
I think i get it now
Blood from right atrium will leak to left side so the blood entering right ventricle would be less so blood would be pumped at lower pressure in pulmonary artery not at higher pressure so the blood will enter the lungs at a lower rate and the diffusion rate of oxygen saturation of haemoglobin will be less. Therefore C.
Yeah bro I was thinking the sameee!! When A**** said mixing of the blood thanks tho (y)