• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Test of Ions

Reaction score
sorry i was wondering whether u made this list of camridge did.....im confused u said that here is a list i made but later u said official from CIE
The attachment is composed by me and then later I found that even the syllabus consists of a list; hence the photo.

Reaction score
As you can see it says
50 cm3 of sodium thiosulphate solution was poured into a
100 cm3 beaker. The beaker was placed on a cross drawn on a piece of paper. 10 cm3 of
hydrochloric acid was added to the beaker and the timer started.

That means Acid is being added onto the Sodium Thiosulphate

So that means Sodium Thiosulphate is first
To make it a fair test, the volume of liquid is kept constant so the volume kept constant here is Sodium Thiosulphate and water (Both should add up to 50 cm3)
So we add water second to make volume equal
Finally add the acid for the reaction to take place

Reaction score
Hmm
Answer is Sodium Thiosulphate/Water/Hydrochloric acid or Water/Sodium Thiosulphate/Hydrochloric acid
The actual experimental procedure in the question says it adds the hydrochloric acid TO the sodium thiosulphate, so that should basically tell you that water or sodium thiosulphate is first.
I'm not sure honestly.
I think it's a combination of a) The sodium thiosulphate/water is in excess and b)If you added the sodium thiosulphate to the hydrochloric acid it would form the colour before all the volume is there.

Reaction score
I'm not sure honestly.
I think it's a combination of a) The sodium thiosulphate/water is in excess and b)If you added the sodium thiosulphate to the hydrochloric acid it would form the colour before all the volume is there.
It's always the acid being added to the base. No idea why but it's always like that :|

Reaction score
As you can see it says

To make it a fair test, the volume of liquid is kept constant so the volume kept constant here is Sodium Thiosulphate and water (Both should add up to 50 cm3)

Thanks, expect a few more.. solving past papers atm.

Reaction score
As you can see it says

All right same paper, question 3. It says a burette was filled up to the 0.0cm3 mark with solution A of sodium thiosulphate. Then in part a)i) it says in which experiment was the greatest volume of aqueous sodium thiosulphate used? I said experiment 2 since, in experiment 1 there was barley any.. (o.ocm3 mark) .. answer is experiment 1.. How? :S

As you can see, I'm terrible at chemistry..

Reaction score
All right same paper, question 3. It says a burette was filled up to the 0.0cm3 mark with solution A of sodium thiosulphate. Then in part a)i) it says in which experiment was the greatest volume of aqueous sodium thiosulphate used? I said experiment 2 since, in experiment 1 there was barley any.. (o.ocm3 mark) .. answer is experiment 1.. How? :S

As you can see, I'm terrible at chemistry..
The difference in experiment 1 is more than that of experiment 2 hence experiemnt 1 used greater volume of thiosulphate
nah don't say that! We all are here to help you out

Reaction score
The difference in experiment 1 is more than that of experiment 2 hence experiemnt 1 used greater volume of thiosulphate
nah don't say that! We all are here to help you out

But what does the difference have to do with the volume of sodium thiosulphate? Since in the question they said it was only filled up to the 0.0cm3 mark :S

Reaction score
But what does the difference have to do with the volume of sodium thiosulphate? Since in the question they said it was only filled up to the 0.0cm3 mark :S
It was filled till 0.0 cm3 mark means the whole burette was filled and the liquid was dropped until the reaction was over.
In the first experiment more liquid was used up hence more Thio used up :D

Reaction score
It was filled till 0.0 cm3 mark means the whole burette was filled and the liquid was dropped until the reaction was over.
In the first experiment more liquid was used up hence more Thio used up :D

Ah, all right thanks , noowww I understand x)

Reaction score
Thanks a lot both of you!
anothr doubt :p
in O/N 4 Q4d it's asked that how temp changes would differ if more volume(40cm3) of water is used? :S the ans is small temp changes :/ y?
anddd in some ques it's asked if the reaction is 1:1 then which reactant has a higher conc? is it the one that has the higher volume or the one that has lower :p

Reaction score
anothr doubt :p
in O/N 4 Q4d it's asked that how temp changes would differ if more volume(40cm3) of water is used? :S the ans is small temp changes :/ y?
anddd in some ques it's asked if the reaction is 1:1 then which reactant has a higher conc? is it the one that has the higher volume or the one that has lower :p
As more water is present, it will have more things to react with so the temp will increase slowly compared to previous one. You see if you have to eat one piece of cake it'll take 5 minutes but when you have to eat 2, it'll take 10.

And I don't get the second question, which past paper?

Reaction score
As more water is present, it will have more things to react with so the temp will increase slowly compared to previous one. You see if you have to eat one piece of cake it'll take 5 minutes but when you have to eat 2, it'll take 10.

And I don't get the second question, which past paper?
lol cake thing it depends on hw hungry i am :p but yea got it :D thanks.. ummmm i don rem the year it was like potassium chloride was being made and the reactants were hcl & koh ,,, hcl was 19cm3 & koh was 25cm3 i guess ,n the ques was which is more concentrated? sooo yea which one?