• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Test of Ions

Reaction score
Chemistry | Test of ions
So, on Wednesday we will have Chemistry paper 6. Every year there are test of ions based questions. Here is a list compiled by me on test of ions. Hope it helps!

Please tell me if there is any mistake in the list and I'll make changes A.S.A.P
Man,u saved my life..Thnx aloot;)(y)
best of luck:D

lol

Reaction score
i understand, but whats the difference between simple and fractional distillation if theres just two mixed liquids?

Reaction score
i understand, but whats the difference between simple and fractional distillation if theres just two mixed liquids?
IMHO, Simple distillation is mainly used in presence of water with other liquid/mixture. Fractional distillation for 2 or more liquids. I can be wrong though but that's just how I remember

Can anyone give an exact answer please? Thanks

Reaction score
Official chemistry test of Anion/Cations and Gases
Chemistry.jpg

Reaction score
Uh
Chemistry | Test of ions
So, on Wednesday we will have Chemistry paper 6. Every year there are test of ions based questions. Here is a list compiled by me on test of ions. Hope it helps!

Please tell me if there is any mistake in the list and I'll make changes A.S.A.P

If you check the syllabus, flame tests aren't there (if you use Control+F, the find function, and type in Flame, you won't find any results, and a read through reveals that flame tests don't seem to be included. I know them anyway just in case, but still.) Obviously if they ask, say, to differentiate between a potassium compound and an organic compound you could use it so useful to know but otherwise I guess don't worry too much about it.

Reaction score
Uh

If you check the syllabus, flame tests aren't there (if you use Control+F, the find function, and type in Flame, you won't find any results, and a read through reveals that flame tests don't seem to be included. I know them anyway just in case, but still.) Obviously if they ask, say, to differentiate between a potassium compound and an organic compound you could use it so useful to know but otherwise I guess don't worry too much about it.
Yeah I never encountered flame tests in P6 neither but it once came in P3, in a recent paper.

Reaction score
MJ 05 Q8 of P6 :| can i knw the complete 6marks answer for this?
The question talks about decomposition of H2O2 to form O2. It's a good thing that O2 is being formed which is a gas.
So for this experiment
  1. Prepare the apparatus so that you can collect the gas given off
  2. Repeat experiment twice with same amount of H2O2 and the catalysts.
  3. Measure the time taken for the oxygen to get collected (30cm3 in 30 sec for Catalyst 1 and 40cm3 in 30sec for Catalyst 2)
  4. Compare the results
  5. The one which gives more oxygen in the time is the better catalyst.

Reaction score
MJ 05 Q8 of P6 :| can i knw the complete 6marks answer for this?

An aqueous solution of hydrogen peroxide decomposes very slowly to form oxygen. The
speed of decomposition can be increased by using a catalyst. Two possible catalysts are
the solids copper(II) oxide and chromium(III) oxide.
Plan an investigation to find out which of these two oxides is the better catalyst for this
decomposition.
The space below can be used for a diagram.
That's the question which you're talking about.
Mark Scheme says:
same amount/measured volume of peroxide (1)
add known mass of metal oxide (1)
time (1) measure volume of oxygen (1)
repeat with other oxide (1) compare/conclusion (1)
method will not work = 0

So an answer could be along the lines of:
Pour 15cm3 of Hydrogen Peroxide into a conical flask. Add 5g of copper(II) oxide. Every 10 seconds measure the volume of oxygen produced using the gas syringe until no more oxygen is produced.
Repeat the experiment with Chromium (III) Oxide.
Whichever catalyst takes the least time before oxygen stops being produced is the better catalyst.

Untitled-1.jpg
not a perfect diagram but yeah, would also label conical flask & syringe, and draw bubbles but you get the idea (hopefully)

Reaction score
The question talks about decomposition of H2O2 to form O2. It's a good thing that O2 is being formed which is a gas.
So for this experiment
  1. Prepare the apparatus so that you can collect the gas given off
  2. Repeat experiment twice with same amount of H2O2 and the catalysts.
  3. Measure the time taken for the oxygen to get collected (30cm3 in 30 sec for Catalyst 1 and 40cm3 in 30sec for Catalyst 2)
  4. Compare the results
  5. The one which gives more oxygen in the time is the better catalyst.
Thanksss a lott :D

Reaction score
Mark Scheme says:

Pour 15cm3 of Hydrogen Peroxide into a conical flask. Add 5g of copper(II) oxide. Every 10 seconds measure the volume of oxygen produced using the gas syringe until no more oxygen is produced.
Whichever catalyst takes the least time before oxygen stops being produced is the better catalyst.
View attachment 10391
not a perfect diagram but yeah, would also label conical flask & syringe, and draw bubbles but you get the idea (hopefully)
thanku veryyy much :D n yea understood :D

Reaction score
how do we know whether tovuse simple or fractional distillstions if we have two liquids like a mixture of water and aqueous magnesium sulfate?
if there are two liquids which have differnt boiling points we use fractional ditillation such as water and ethanol!!
simple distilation we use to seperate a solvent from a solution eg sea water and when we distillate we get pure water :)

Reaction score
Mark Scheme says:

View attachment 10391
if there are two liquids which have differnt boiling points we use fractional ditillation such as water and ethanol!!
simple distilation we use to seperate a solvent from a solution eg sea water and when we distillate we get pure water :)

Thanks a lot both of you!

Reaction score
Chemistry | Test of ions

Official anion/cations and gases test by Cambridge.
Chemistry.jpg
sorry i was wondering whether u made this list of camridge did.....im confused u said that here is a list i made but later u said official from CIE