• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

WTF CHEMISTRY PAPER 42 IS SO HARD

Reaction score
Alright so now that all you can calm down, it's been 24 hours since the paper first started so #gg let the discussion begin.
Question 6 was actually really easy if you think about it. The only issue was that when most of started to read it you get that sense it will be tough and you build fear for the question and then you find it tough. Yeah it was tough it was extremely different but it was basically '8 number muft ke'
all you had to do was tell them if it was 'amide, amine, phenol, or ester/acid' depending on the solubilities.
E was insoluble in both, so amide + ester.
F was soluble in both so amine + phenol
G was soluble in HCl and in soluble in NaOH so amine + acid / ester
H was insoluble in HCl and soluble in NaOH so amide + phenol.
//took this info from the girl with 8A*s in O Levels and 4As in AS and to be 4A*s in A2. kk

Reaction score
Alright so now that all you can calm down, it's been 24 hours since the paper first started so #gg let the discussion begin.
Question 6 was actually really easy if you think about it. The only issue was that when most of started to read it you get that sense it will be tough and you build fear for the question and then you find it tough. Yeah it was tough it was extremely different but it was basically '8 number muft ke'
all you had to do was tell them if it was 'amide, amine, phenol, or ester/acid' depending on the solubilities.
//took this info from the girl with 8A*s in O Levels and 4As in AS and to be 4A*s in A2. kk
It would have been '8 number muft ke' if they gave us which functional group was present in which structure. Deciding which of these were present was the real part.

Reaction score
It would have been '8 number muft ke' if they gave us which functional group was present in which structure. Deciding which of these were present was the real part.
That kind of would have been to easy. If they gave you the functional groups they'd probably ask you their solubiltiies which would still be kind of tricky, or they would ask something else for 4 marks (in replacement of the functional group guessing table) with something easier - but the chance of that wouldn't be that high.
eh whatever, it's the past. our AS exam had 2 hard questions and the GT dropped to the midhigh 30s. The GT will probably be high 50's or low 60's.

Reaction score
AMide is soluble in cold HCl , my friend.

Reaction score
The answers you've given cannot be correct because they don't comply with the molecular formula given, C8H9NO2. Your structure E contains 3 O's and F contains only 1. The information given for structures G and H seems accurate, I put the same. However for E it should be alcohol and amide and for F is should be carboxylic acid and amine.

Reaction score
The answers you've given cannot be correct because they don't comply with the molecular formula given, C8H9NO2. Your structure E contains 3 O's and F contains only 1. The information given for structures G and H seems accurate, I put the same. However for E it should be alcohol and amide and for F is should be carboxylic acid and amine.
yea exactly what he said

Reaction score

Haha, yes I guess I am wrong.
I wrote the structures of the amide wrong. bleh who cares.
What did u guys get for the monomer! And how Many isomers were there 2 or 4
I believe there are 4 but I don't even remember the question...