• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

WTF CHEMISTRY PAPER 42 IS SO HARD

Reaction score
I don't think the paper was ridiculously hard, there were much harder papers in the past. But I do admit that the last organic question was a bit tough, I spent like close to 25 minutes there thinking. Overall, it was quite managable, I hope.

Best of luck on the coming papers!

Reaction score
I don't think the paper was ridiculously hard, there were much harder papers in the past. But I do admit that the last organic question was a bit tough, I spent like close to 25 minutes there thinking. Overall, it was quite managable, I hope.

Best of luck on the coming papers!

I guess so Takashi! Well Good Luck to you as well! :D

Reaction score
Aren't esters soluble in both NaOH and HCl, because they can undergo either acid or alkaline hydrolysis? That's how I did it, and all the structures had the correct molecular formulae ... hope I was right.

Reaction score
Aren't esters soluble in both NaOH and HCl, because they can undergo either acid or alkaline hydrolysis? That's how I did it, and all the structures had the correct molecular formulae ... hope I was right.
This is what I first thought too but the key word was COLD HCl and COLD NaOH. Hydrolysis does not take place without heating in esters and amides