• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

WHICH IS THE BEST ENGINEERING UNIVERSITY IN PAKISTAN?

Reaction score
NUST:

National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST) has won its place in the List of ‘Top 400 World Universities’, since 2008 and is the first and the only university of Pakistan to achieve this unprecedented honor as per the ranking carried out by the world’s most renowned and prestigious ranking agency Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), UK. Keeping up the highest traditions of excellence in providing quality education and research, NUST has attained 366th position in the ranking list of 2010. Besides overall ranking of the universities, QS also prepares Subject-wise Rankings, wherein NUST has been placed in the list of “Top 300 World Universities” in the subjects of Engineering & IT (Rank: 274), Arts and Humanities (Rank: 274). It speaks volumes of the hard work put in by the NUST management and faculty in terms of improving infrastructure, providing quality education, conducting innovative research, establishing international linkages, engaging in collaborative research with leading international institutions / organizations, participating in international exchange programs and producing graduates who are welcomed by national / international industry, business, academia and market. While NUST management and faculty bow their heads before Allah Almighty for bestowing this unique honour, the nation can take enormous pride in their own national university, the NUST. Rector NUST, Lieutenant General (Retd) Engr Muhammad AsgharHI(M), has felicitated the NUST administration and faculty of all NUST constituent Colleges / Institutes / Centers for their relentless efforts to achieve excellence in providing quality education to their students and carrying out research of international standards. He has applauded the recognition of the international competitiveness and compatibility of NUST academic programs at global level. He has assured the nation that NUST will continue making extensive efforts to further improve its standing at the international level to keep the flag of Pakistan flying high in the higher education sector of the world.

Reaction score
NUST:

National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST) has won its place in the List of ‘Top 400 World Universities’, since 2008 and is the first and the only university of Pakistan to achieve this unprecedented honor as per the ranking carried out by the world’s most renowned and prestigious ranking agency Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), UK. Keeping up the highest traditions of excellence in providing quality education and research, NUST has attained 366th position in the ranking list of 2010. Besides overall ranking of the universities, QS also prepares Subject-wise Rankings, wherein NUST has been placed in the list of “Top 300 World Universities” in the subjects of Engineering & IT (Rank: 274), Arts and Humanities (Rank: 274). It speaks volumes of the hard work put in by the NUST management and faculty in terms of improving infrastructure, providing quality education, conducting innovative research, establishing international linkages, engaging in collaborative research with leading international institutions / organizations, participating in international exchange programs and producing graduates who are welcomed by national / international industry, business, academia and market. While NUST management and faculty bow their heads before Allah Almighty for bestowing this unique honour, the nation can take enormous pride in their own national university, the NUST. Rector NUST, Lieutenant General (Retd) Engr Muhammad AsgharHI(M), has felicitated the NUST administration and faculty of all NUST constituent Colleges / Institutes / Centers for their relentless efforts to achieve excellence in providing quality education to their students and carrying out research of international standards. He has applauded the recognition of the international competitiveness and compatibility of NUST academic programs at global level. He has assured the nation that NUST will continue making extensive efforts to further improve its standing at the international level to keep the flag of Pakistan flying high in the higher education sector of the world.

Reaction score
when are the forms comming for registrationof pieas, nust, giki, uet, nust ????

and what they consider equivalence here as well??? yes they do but is it too much taken into consideration???

I mean that is admission totally based on the equivalence of O levels??? in these uni's?? only a little downfall in equivalence could make us out of meit list??? OF THESE UNIS??

Reaction score
overall: NUST and NED
Computer science: FAST and Lahore LUMS
KU: goes close to NED in chemical.
And I don't know about GIKI and PIEAS.

Reaction score
overall: NUST and NED
Computer science: FAST and Lahore LUMS
KU: goes close to NED in chemical.
And I don't know about GIKI and PIEAS.
you are maybe from karachi or else ned does not even come in the race nust does so does giki so does pieas :p (uet is the father of ned so how come ned come above uet :p)

Reaction score
If u didn,t knew GIK and LUMS is not recognised by HEC hence it doesn,t come in international ranking!
lol. brother..!!!
International ranking is made by an International Cuncil, it has nothing to do with HEC.!!No offense.

Reaction score
lol. brother..!!!
International ranking is made by an International Cuncil, it has nothing to do with HEC.!!No offense.
international council ?? well giki has not been in qs for reason of it getting banned in year 2003 i guess the same aq khan saga but its banning was uplifted in year 2007 dont know about faculty if material engineering though well giki cant submit its document to any international ranking agency for some years as nuclear research is going on , i have friends in hec they say giki is third but its bachelors program is best ,reason of it being third is not all research papers of gik (mostly ins post doctarte)can be shown due to many reasons
1 giki is still in top 10 pakistan's institution which fbi look after rather is in their hitlist(source google it)
2 Many foreign professor (eg dr bakahdir ,sherchoce etc) are hec contracted
lums is new science school is far better than many and still does not come because it has only 1 electrical engineering faculty... things are now getting normal for gik atleast as they have introduced new fields which actually is a sign of their return in international forum
lastly qs is not a relaible ranking forum no offense but even uol stood in top 600 in it even if virtual university submits its document it will stand at about top 1000
gik was 4 in asia 1997 (source wikepedia ranking asian times) this is what is a hell achievement
Bottom line ranking counts nothing in bachelors studies

Reaction score
I am from Ned and it's Actually quite good, it do lack certain things,, but overall its good. It's the Best engineering institution of sindh for sure. Fee is 7980 per semester, whereas u knew that of giki and lums. If there are any students of giki or nust, then they do know that students from ned are always in top 3 or top 5 spots in all events and competitions. We have made Pakistan first drone plane which was presented 2 weeks ago in a competition in gik, only uni of Pakistan to get 12th position in shell eco marathon held in Malaysia, Google all details.. First and only uni to make formula 1 car in Pakistan known as formula ned. And many more things. The thing that really stuck in the throats of students from giki and nust is that this uni is creating engineers in less than 70,000, for whole 4 years, whereas they have to pay 2,000,000 for being an engineer of giki. And 5lacs for nust.

Reaction score
It certainly is not the best uni of Pakistan, but it is in top 5 or 6 for me. The reason it is below on hec rankings is due to the theory of our vc who says hec is the funding body, so it should not have to involved in rankings as a father can't create rankings among its children. I don't agree to this theory but it is the mindset. Deans aren't interested in forwarding the reports and hec has evaluated the rankings on assumptions. Google the reports and you would see.

Reaction score
yes man ned does come in top 5 or 6 of the country i never doubted on this fact, but isnt it easier to pass an exam in ned as compared to gik or nust ???? average ned student is below power when it comes to standards, and about fowarding of report gik is the university which is suffering most from it yet they do come at top 3 every time...and about eco marathon ,and all these competition google gik's or nust's name trust me you would find more....lums and gik charge way more yes but they have great scolorships programs infact gik has a program in which you dont have to pay for mess even leave alone lum's nop program....30 % of students studying in both are paying almost nothing for their education they have multiple scholorships,loans etc etc times have changed my friend...
ned is good university good students in ned would always have a good future...infact in my personal opinion giki ,nusteme,uetlhr,uet taxila,nust isl are the top place for engineering in pakistan....followed by ned and nust karachi....so obviously they do come in top 6

Reaction score
NOP is a good program but gik don't offer any such.

There is lack of resources but u cant say lack of standard. e. g. Less number of teachers/computers per student. All this add some difficulties for students, but it still is not a bad deal, i am in mechanical engineering myself so do count me differences in standards if u know. I admit exams are easier but i haven't given papers of gik or nust so i can't compare. No one can.

Well let's end this.
Gik in mechanical and nust in electrical is best. Uet is good in both fields too. ;-)

Reaction score
I want to clear a little confusion, bigscar :
You are very right that the entry test of NED is way easier compared to that of NUST or GIKI...
However, NED's main selection criteria is based on your four years of O levels and A levels hardwork or Fsc and Matric hardwork and

in NUST and GIKI , they judge students on ONE TEST ONLY !!!

Isn't that unfair? Students work hard 4 years and have a bad day at the test due to whatsoever reason and they get rejected, all their 4 years hardwork goes in dismay... :(

So, entrance of NED is how the entrance tests should be :
They judge you on your 4 years work in O/A levels and
take the test to ensure your certificates are not undesrving...

Iam not whining or anything here (I have actually cleared the NUST test and iam sure if i had given GIKI, i would have cleared it as well!) but the admission process is just not right for many hardworking students!

Reaction score
You are very right that the entry test of NED is way easier compared to that of NUST or GIKI...
However, NED's main selection criteria is based on your four years of O levels and A levels hardwork or Fsc and Matric hardwork and

Isn't that unfair? Students work hard 4 years and have a bad day at the test due to whatsoever reason and they get rejected, all their 4 years hardwork goes in dismay... :(

Iam not whining or anything here (I have actually cleared the NUST test and iam sure if i had given GIKI, i would have cleared it as well!) but the admission process is just not right for many hardworking students!

in pakistan there are many systems you cant compare them with each others so i guess test is an only solution plus both giki and nust count your earlier marks ,and my friends in soprest for gik they say unofficially they can count up to 40% for previous academic record both show it to be 15% however.....about your clearance in nust test congrats but you cant be sure of gikis their test is different from nust ,lums and giki test based to erase the crammers as they have lesser amount of seats ,nust is more ratta based and without negitave marking too....d0 you think our fsc system is that pure that you can make 100% selection based on it??? no it is not trust me....yes its horrible you worked hard in 4 years and then on one giki or nust test you have a bad day but thats what i guess life is,you must have some luck factor to get into these universities i agree but their selection is purer

Reaction score
and Slash understood what point i was making a good student would always be successful whether he is in giki,lums or ned...just for a fact we can see many 4 a*s getting probations in gik but we wont find anyone failing in ned they have made life too easier for university level sadly...

Reaction score

The reliability on aptitude tests has increased in order to cancel the students from Inter who cheated in getting their percentage( something that does not happen in A level). So whoever studied might just score very well on the aptitude tests too... The thing is, these universities fail to understand that A level students studied different material than Intermediatte students, and thus aptitude tests are mostly Fsc based. So A level student has to work hard even more after getting a good percentage. Universities should have different aptitude tests for candidates from different boards! In that way it is fair! But I don't think any university in Pakistan or even outside Pakistan does that... That is why it is unfair, and unfair for A level students mostly. And NED is fair for us! but students who got percentage in Inter from cheating can get admission too :\