• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

SOCIOLOGY Help pleaseee.

Reaction score
So Im thinking of giving socio privately in MayJune of 2014.

Im self studying it and reading books of Ken Brown and Stephan Moore. So I need help pleasee.
Umm so should i join tuitions? I think i'll join them a month or so before the cie as its not that hard. But please, i need guidance as Im self studyingg.

So how should i study it? Like from where should i start, how should i practice and all?
Please please, help.. All answers appreciated :)

God Bless

Reaction score
Tuitions for sociology are useless(unless you're REALLY bad at the subject, of course). You can easily score an A in sociology if you know the write words to use. Memorize definitions and use keywords in your answer. You should be able to score full in the 2 mark(definitions) and 4 mark(describe) questions. As for the 6 mark questions, try not to go off-topic, include perspectives, summarize the key points and paragraph your answer in two. The 8 mark questions are the trickiest, but just try to include both sides of the story. Learn at least 3-4 perspectives(Marxist, Feminist and Functionalist are a must!) for each topic and don't waste your time on irrelevant details.

I'm not sure about Stephen Moore but Ken Browne is definitely the best book out there. Start off with methodology - it's the easiest, just make sure you know the facts(you can easily get 30/30 in this section). Solve past papers and if possible, get your 6/8 mark answers checked. If you want, you can send your answers to the 6 and 8 mark questions to me and I could sort of mark them and help you out. Sociology is my favourite subject and it can be a lot of fun if you're willing to learn. I got an A* btw. Good luck :)

Reaction score
Also we have to do 3 question in paper 1 its means we can do any question from any section

Reaction score
I would advise to do Sociology as I was self studying. It was good to get a good Credit or a pass but not sufficient to get a distinction! It depends on your expectations.

Reaction score
Hey
So Im thinking of giving socio privately in MayJune of 2014.

Im self studying it and reading books of Ken Brown and Stephan Moore. So I need help pleasee.
Umm so should i join tuitions? I think i'll join them a month or so before the cie as its not that hard. But please, i need guidance as Im self studyingg.

So how should i study it? Like from where should i start, how should i practice and all?
Please please, help.. All answers appreciated :)

God Bless

Hey, I just decided to sit for the entire A level sociology exam, BUT i am really confused :/ I don't know what to study and what not to study. I can't set my mind on how to write paper 1 25 mark questions. Marking schemes are vague, there are no guidelines whatsoever regarding the word limit OR page/line limit for those 25 mark questions or even any other questions for that matter. It's really frustrating, and i have less than 13 days! Any sort of help would be an absolute blessing for me at this stage. Thank you.

Reaction score
Can Sociology be done in two weeks? Please reply asap!!! Please.

Reaction score
Can Sociology be done in two weeks? Please reply asap!!! Please.

I'm doing it. I can't say it's easy, but yes if it's the only subject you're doing then it's doable. For AS there are only 3 Units, I am focusing completely on the first 2 Units. - Unit 1: The sociological perspective
- Unit 2: Sociological methods
as for Unit 3: Social differentiation and stratification, I'll do some parts from this one once I'm done completely with the first 2 Units and their past papers.

Try doing this, read the first Unit, all of it, read it like a story or common sense stuff, just make sure you're not leaving out anything, once done read again after a short break and then again, read it at least 5 to 6 times or until you have a REALLY GOOD idea of what Unit 1 contains and what it's about etc. Once done, open up the P1's from 2004 to 2013, go through all of them, read every single question for Unit 1 and answer every single one of it, if you think writing the answer is going to take too much time then make pointers, or highlight the answer in your book/notes. DON'T LEAVE IT OUT ANYTHING AT THIS STAGE. Make sure you've learned all the definitions and key terms from Unit 1 [I repeat, all of them] and go through the P1's for Unit 1 as many times as it takes you to get used to what the question is asking. Don't ever forget to add key terms in your answers. Read the marking schemes, though mostly they're just stupid but if anything they do give you a map of how the answers should be, so take that hint and form your answers. Once through with P1 do the same for P2. If it works for you apply the same procedure for Unit 2 and if left with time then Unit 3 as well. It should take you around 3 to 4 days to get really nicely done with Unit 1, at most 5 days max, shouldn't take you more if you're giving it sufficient time. Remember repetition is the power here. The more you repeat the more you'll learn and the more you'll get confident about the content you know.

Will let you know the procedure for A2 once i get to prepping for that :p

Reaction score
Ty!
I'm doing it. I can't say it's easy, but yes if it's the only subject you're doing then it's doable. For AS there are only 3 Units, I am focusing completely on the first 2 Units. - Unit 1: The sociological perspective
- Unit 2: Sociological methods
as for Unit 3: Social differentiation and stratification, I'll do some parts from this one once I'm done completely with the first 2 Units and their past papers.

Try doing this, read the first Unit, all of it, read it like a story or common sense stuff, just make sure you're not leaving out anything, once done read again after a short break and then again, read it at least 5 to 6 times or until you have a REALLY GOOD idea of what Unit 1 contains and what it's about etc. Once done, open up the P1's from 2004 to 2013, go through all of them, read every single question for Unit 1 and answer every single one of it, if you think writing the answer is going to take too much time then make pointers, or highlight the answer in your book/notes. DON'T LEAVE IT OUT ANYTHING AT THIS STAGE. Make sure you've learned all the definitions and key terms from Unit 1 [I repeat, all of them] and go through the P1's for Unit 1 as many times as it takes you to get used to what the question is asking. Don't ever forget to add key terms in your answers. Read the marking schemes, though mostly they're just stupid but if anything they do give you a map of how the answers should be, so take that hint and form your answers. Once through with P1 do the same for P2. If it works for you apply the same procedure for Unit 2 and if left with time then Unit 3 as well. It should take you around 3 to 4 days to get really nicely done with Unit 1, at most 5 days max, shouldn't take you more if you're giving it sufficient time. Remember repetition is the power here. The more you repeat the more you'll learn and the more you'll get confident about the content you know.

Will let you know the procedure for A2 once i get to prepping for that :p

Reaction score
Can anyone please recall the last part of question 1 of O'levels Sociology Paper 1 of oct/Nov 2013? (The strengths and limitations one)

Reaction score
Asa, really happy for your a* Ma sha Allah ! If you could pls let me know the Isbn of the ken brown book ,it would be great and and other books you would suggest as i am doing it privately and i am in search of great books ! I want to get an a* but i havent even seen the face of sociology yet anyways your help would be of great help to me !
JazakAllah khair
Tuitions for sociology are useless(unless you're REALLY bad at the subject, of course). You can easily score an A in sociology if you know the write words to use. Memorize definitions and use keywords in your answer. You should be able to score full in the 2 mark(definitions) and 4 mark(describe) questions. As for the 6 mark questions, try not to go off-topic, include perspectives, summarize the key points and paragraph your answer in two. The 8 mark questions are the trickiest, but just try to include both sides of the story. Learn at least 3-4 perspectives(Marxist, Feminist and Functionalist are a must!) for each topic and don't waste your time on irrelevant details.

I'm not sure about Stephen Moore but Ken Browne is definitely the best book out there. Start off with methodology - it's the easiest, just make sure you know the facts(you can easily get 30/30 in this section). Solve past papers and if possible, get your 6/8 mark answers checked. If you want, you can send your answers to the 6 and 8 mark questions to me and I could sort of mark them and help you out. Sociology is my favourite subject and it can be a lot of fun if you're willing to learn. I got an A* btw. Good luck :)
A