• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Unit 4 JUNE 11/6/12

How well did you do on the exam?

• Total voters
Reaction score
:LOL:
Just 15 mins, n hopefully it'l be a welcome and nice surprise Inshallah :D
hope so:) btw i wanna ask u the note u gave me abt mass of star and how it wil end up u wrote tht between 1.4-3 neutron star if formed and above 3 explosion of supernova bt i kno tht after the explosion the neutron and black holes forms isn't it?

Reaction score
hope so:) btw i wanna ask u the note u gave me abt mass of star and how it wil end up u wrote tht between 1.4-3 neutron star if formed and above 3 explosion of supernova bt i kno tht after the explosion the neutron and black holes forms isn't it?
Yes :)

Reaction score
bt how if between 1.4-3 then neutron wil be formed bt supernova explosion is above 3?
Look, I just checked the Pearson book and it says black hole for over 3 solar masses! I'm confused now :S
see pg 85 :S the notes were from hodder acctually..

Reaction score
Look, I just checked the Pearson book and it says black hole for over 3 solar masses! I'm confused now :S
see pg 85 :S the notes were from hodder acctually..
i don hve it:( bt i checked 1 bok my teacher gave me its nt edexcel maybe IB anyway i saw it nw it says 8-40 neruton star and above 80 black holes cuz it cnt be smaller solar masses resulting in neutron stars and supernova explosion above and it is the supernova explosion tht produces them ths wat i kno

Reaction score
i don hve it:( bt i checked 1 bok my teacher gave me its nt edexcel maybe IB anyway i saw it nw it says 8-40 neruton star and above 80 black holes cuz it cnt be smaller solar masses resulting in neutron stars and supernova explosion above and it is the supernova explosion tht produces them ths wat i kno
Whch book do u have with you then? The red one right?
80?? :eek:
wait lemme check the revision guide...

Reaction score
In the revision guide it says: "If the initial mass of the star is greater than about 8 times that of our sun, this shrinkage will cause a can be so rapid that a supernova explosion occurs."

Okay now this is what I understand...
If the REMAINING core after the exposion is greater than 3 solar masses, then it forms a black hole but if its upto 3 solar masses it forms a neutron star.

Reaction score
In the revision guide it says: "If the initial mass of the star is greater than about 8 times that of our sun, this shrinkage will cause a can be so rapid that a supernova explosion occurs."

Okay now this is what I understand...
If the REMAINING core after the exposion is greater than 3 solar masses, then it forms a black hole but if its upto 3 solar masses it forms a neutron star.
ya then i thnk thts ryt i read nw again:) ok i wanna ask u nw supergiant after hydrogen fusion is completed it becmes red giant and after fusion of heavier elements is completed it explodes?

Reaction score
ya then i thnk thts ryt i read nw again:) ok i wanna ask u nw supergiant after hydrogen fusion is completed it becmes red giant and after fusion of heavier elements is completed it explodes?
Yes! When Hydrogen is over, it starts making He, which produces lesser energy than H fusion so the star cools and becomes a red giant. But there is enough energy for further fusion. Fusion continues till it reaches Fe and further fusion is not feasible and so gravity becomes pre-dominant and star suddenly collapses. This produces a huge burst of energy which is a supernova. Further elements are also formed in the explosion :)

Reaction score
Yes! When Hydrogen is over, it starts making He, which produces lesser energy than H fusion so the star cools and becomes a red giant. But there is enough energy for further fusion. Fusion continues till it reaches Fe and further fusion is not feasible and so gravity becomes pre-dominant and star suddenly collapses. This produces a huge burst of energy which is a supernova. Further elements are also formed in the explosion :)
thnx alot :) ok when they ask wat is supernova how 2 write the ans?

Reaction score
thnx alot :) ok when they ask wat is supernova how 2 write the ans?
ur so welcome :)
Its basically an explosion caused when the large-mass star collapses under its own gravity to release a huge amount of energy. :)

Reaction score
ur so welcome :)
Its basically an explosion caused when the large-mass star collapses under its own gravity to release a huge amount of energy. :)
so it collapses due 2 gravity ryt?bcz the inner pressure deacreses and no fusion so after colllapsing due 2 high density it bursts:? and wat they mean by solar masses? and how 2 convert 2 solar masses cuz i saw ths twice in old past papers

Reaction score
so it collapses due 2 gravity ryt?bcz the inner pressure deacreses and no fusion so after colllapsing due 2 high density it bursts:? and wat they mean by solar masses? and how 2 convert 2 solar masses cuz i saw ths twice in old past papers
Yes exactly (y)

Solar masses means as multiples of the mass of the sun, just simply divide the mass of the star (or whatever) by the mass of the sun and write the value u get along with M (and a small circle with a dot inside as a subscript after M).

Reaction score
Yes exactly (y)

Solar masses means as multiples of the mass of the sun, just simply divide the mass of the star (or whatever) by the mass of the sun and write the value u get along with M (and a small circle with a dot inside as a subscript after M).
and if it was wth corcle and dot so to convert it 2 normal mass i multiply?

Reaction score
Thnx i'll talk 2 u inshalla after the exam so tht we can discuss our paper inshalla it wil be easy and we all wil do gd:) bye ttyl :) all the best
Ur welcome and sure :)
Inshallah it will :D
U'll be on Happy Holidays now :cautious: :p
bye! n thanks! Same to u :D