• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Practical Problem

Reaction score
Kaer123 said:
I told the other inviligilator but how many marks will I lose, can they cancel my paper by saying it was cheating or something

No, they would only deduct 1 mark...don't worry!

Reaction score
Maryem Ali said:
I see. In the two questions i did one pretty much fine, but in the other than i got the data wrong. As in the current was supposed to increase but mine was deceasing. Dont know why that was happening but the rest of the working is fine according to my data, but the data is itself wrong to begin with.
Perhaps I will get a C in this.

I am quite confident that I will score high on other two exams though.

It would be appreciated if someone could further clear my doubts.
Thankyou very much.

You know what, in the practicals the result scores only 1 mark while there are accuracy and method marks that matter the most...So if the examiner sees you have worked through the experiment and you collected the data, knew how to plot it on the graph and solved further steps like finding gradient and y-intercept, you will definitely get the benefit for that. And in your current's inconsistency, the error would be carried forward and maybe your could score A or B...

So CHEERS :)

Reaction score
beacon_of_light said:
Kaer123 said:
You should have immediately reported to the LAB supervisor. This happened with me although I didn't ask for help but the stubborn invigilator wrote ''minor help taken''....but I reported it to the LAB supervisor and was SAVED!!!

Where did the invigilator right that remark, did he/she take your statement of entry?

Reaction score
MAVtKnmJ said:
beacon_of_light said:
Kaer123 said:
You should have immediately reported to the LAB supervisor. This happened with me although I didn't ask for help but the stubborn invigilator wrote ''minor help taken''....but I reported it to the LAB supervisor and was SAVED!!!

Where did the invigilator right that remark, did he/she take your statement of entry?

No, she had a piece of paper in her hand and I cleverly* read out comments written on her paper...and then rushed to the supervisor...

Reaction score
Hmmm, well I asked the invigilators to call the lab supervisor once during the first question and once during the second question.
For the first question I asked him, from where till where are we supposed to measure the length of the given rod (my rod had screw rings at one end so I was confused). He looked at the rod, then the question paper and then told me full length.

For the second question, I called him to ask him if we are allowed to take off the connecting wires from the copper wire and then switch their places to reverse the current flow, because at the beginning he advised everyone not to play with the setup of marks will be deducted. He said yes you can.

So now I am confused whether that lady who picked up my statement of entry while I was performing the second experiment, wanted to confirm my details, like name and all just as how they do in other exams, or was it that she cunningly cut my marks for the questions I asked the lab supervisor.

I don't think my marks should be deducted as I really didn't ask for any assistance with handling or setting up the apparatus ... did I?

But don't you think it's unfair if they did indeed cut my marks and not even tell me?

Reaction score
First thing amazingly I asked the exact same questions. I am pretty sure they will not deduct any marks or at a max 1 mark as we didnot take any help for recording, analysing and graphical work. So max 1 mark or at best no marks. WE will cover them in P2 :D

Reaction score
Well I was being extra cautious and couldn't finish mine in the end!
I am so disappointed in myself as this has never happened to me before!

Oh well whatever Allah had destined for me ;)

Good luck to all!

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Maryem Ali said:
A reply to my question would be liked...

well I think u easily can (get an A)..... it's coz error carried forward thing rocks...
also whn I gave AS, ppl on average did not so gud in parcticls...it's da genral trend, I think. whn more ppl screw up, ur screwups dnt matter that much.

Reaction score
one of our seniors..in her breakups she got a C in practical nd A in both mcq nd theory in chemistry...she got an overall B...

Reaction score
Maryem Ali said:
If say you mess up your physics practical but do good on MCQs and Theory. Can you still get an A? I am in AS ...

only if the rest did bad too, if the rest all did good, then anything can happen. I've seen many people destroying their results just because of practicals while they still did good in Theory and MCQ's.
So just hope the percentile is low.

Reaction score
You can get an A. Messing the practical and still getting an A on the base of other pprz going excellent is a common scene.

Reaction score
They cannot cancel your paper or mark it as cheating.You will loose only one mark for that.

Reaction score
I discussed with Zohaib my practical and he said chances are I will get a B.
In my mcqs I am expecting 33+ and in theory 53+
So what should i be expecting over all?

Reaction score
depends on the thresh hold, i was talking about if you 'really' do mess up the practical, in your case, it might make an 'overall' A.
I rather didn't notice the level of problem you mentioned. If your practical makes a B, that isn't too bad to be called as 'messed up'. Overall, hopefully, it makes an A.

Reaction score
I realise I am being an annoyance but I defninitely need help since i am new to this system (yes i am from Fsc system)

In practicals if we are to find following things
1) Six reading of voltage against current
2) Graph plotting
3) Find gradient
4) Find Y intercept
5) Apply gradient and intecept in equation
6) Have proper untis for both

which which marks can be awarded on error carried forward?