• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Practical Problem

Reaction score
If say you mess up your physics practical but do good on MCQs and Theory. Can you still get an A? I am in AS ...

Reaction score
yes ,
for sure you can easilt score an A but your P2 and P1 must have a high scoring, especially paper 2 coz it has the highest percentile in As.

Reaction score
Hey can u guys PLEASE tell me how to evaluate errors and improvements in the second question??? I find it the most difficult part of the paper

Reaction score
when u do oscillations , what do u put in teh table??
would it be fine to put: Time taken for 10 oscillations
or : Time period for 10 oscillations

Reaction score
here are some points...

The first point willl always be: Two readings are not enough to draw a valid conclusion.
(Improvement): Take more readings AND plot a graph of results.

If there is any human reaction error in timing, the improvement will be to use light gates to trigger stopwatch, or use video recorder to record the whole motion and playback frame by frame.

If you have to take readings, the error could be parallax error. Improvement will be to take readings at eye level.

Each experiment has different errors and uncertainities. So you need to consider all those errors or difficulties while performing the experiment. for example in electricity questions while measuring the resistance, we do not consider lead contact resistances...so thats an error.... Last thing is practice past papers and try to understand the errors according to the experiments...

Hope that helps you :)

Reaction score
one quick question. I have just seen in mark scheme that they always put the values for the first question in cm as we normaly use a ruler in the table.
Could u change it to metres and put it in the table?? respond please

Reaction score
1992 said:
one quick question. I have just seen in mark scheme that they always put the values for the first question in cm as we normaly use a ruler in the table.
Could u change it to metres and put it in the table?? respond please

IT IS best if you use SI units. that reduces any probability of your marks' deduction!

Reaction score
ok thanks, and figures to 3 S.F right?? can we put 0.300m for measuring using ruler??

Reaction score
Someone tell me this..... !!! 100 is 1 sig.fig ? :S !!! and 0.004 is also 1 s.f rite.. while 0.040 is 2 sf ??

Reaction score
ashhadazam said:
Someone tell me this..... !!! 100 is 1 sig.fig ? :S !!! and 0.004 is also 1 s.f rite.. while 0.040 is 2 sf ??

>>>All non-zero digits are considered significant. For example, 91 has two significant figures (9 and 1), while 123.45 has five significant figures (1, 2, 3, 4 and 5).

>>>Zeros appearing anywhere between two non-zero digits are significant. Example: 101.12 has five significant figures: 1, 0, 1, 1 and 2.

>>>Leading zeros are not significant. For example, 0.00052 has two significant figures: 5 and 2.

>>>Trailing zeros in a number containing a decimal point are significant. For example, 12.2300 has six significant figures: 1, 2, 2, 3, 0 and 0. The number 0.000122300 still has only six significant .

Yeah 100 is 1 sig fig. and 0.040 is 2 sig.fig...

Reaction score
I see. In the two questions i did one pretty much fine, but in the other than i got the data wrong. As in the current was supposed to increase but mine was deceasing. Dont know why that was happening but the rest of the working is fine according to my data, but the data is itself wrong to begin with.
Perhaps I will get a C in this.

I am quite confident that I will score high on other two exams though.

It would be appreciated if someone could further clear my doubts.
Thankyou very much.

Reaction score
HEY GUYS there was some prob in my circuit so I called the lab instructor and asked him to fix it , meanwhile THE SUPERVISOR NOTED MY CAND NO. DO YOU THINK i will lose marks or my paper will be cancelled . PLZ REPLY

Reaction score
Kaer123 said:
HEY GUYS there was some prob in my circuit so I called the lab instructor and asked him to fix it , meanwhile THE SUPERVISOR NOTED MY CAND NO. DO YOU THINK i will lose marks or my paper will be cancelled . PLZ REPLY

if there was a problem then no marks . if there wasn't a problem then maybe possibly 1 mark will be deducted not more than that trust me . chill

Reaction score
Kaer123 said:

You should have immediately reported to the LAB supervisor. This happened with me although I didn't ask for help but the stubborn invigilator wrote ''minor help taken''....but I reported it to the LAB supervisor and was SAVED!!!

You just need to pray now... :)

Reaction score
I told the other inviligilator but how many marks will I lose, can they cancel my paper by saying it was cheating or something