• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
physics p1 main i need some help :'|
paper oct 12 var:12 question:14,16,20 :'(​
Saad ro mat :p
14)
FIRST OF ALL,BOTH NEWTON METERS ARE SHOWING TENSION IN THE STRINGS AND WE HAVE TO FIND THE VERTICAL COMPONENTS OF BOTH THE FORCES.

VERTICAL COMPONENT OF 4 NEWTONS FORCE IS: COS(37) = X/4 , SO X = 4COS(37) = 3.19N
VERTICAL COMPONENT OF 3 NEWTONS FORCE IS: COS(53) = X/3 , SO X = 3COS(53) = 1.80N

NOW WE NEED TO FIND THE RESULTANT FORCE: FORWARD FORCE(WEIGHT) - BACKWARD FORCE
12-(3.19+1.80) = 7N
NOW USE F=MA TO FIND ACCELERATION

7=1.2 x A

A = 7/1.2
A = 5.83 ms^-2 = 6 ms^-2

16)
there are three forces acting on an object as it is lowered in an liquid. gravitational pull(downwards) upthrust(upwards) and viscous drag(upwards)
upthrust is the difference between the (pressure acting on the top of object)- (pressure acing on the bottom)
Viscous drag is the force that a solid experiences as it is lowered down the object due to its viscosity or density( we rather like to say viscosity when referred to a liquid).
since the object is stationary so no viscous drag. gravitional pull equals upthrust.

20)
Use 0.5 * m * v^2 here : 0.5 * (1200 * 1000) * 75^2 = D

Reaction score
Saad ro mat :p
14)
FIRST OF ALL,BOTH NEWTON METERS ARE SHOWING TENSION IN THE STRINGS AND WE HAVE TO FIND THE VERTICAL COMPONENTS OF BOTH THE FORCES.

VERTICAL COMPONENT OF 4 NEWTONS FORCE IS: COS(37) = X/4 , SO X = 4COS(37) = 3.19N
VERTICAL COMPONENT OF 3 NEWTONS FORCE IS: COS(53) = X/3 , SO X = 3COS(53) = 1.80N

NOW WE NEED TO FIND THE RESULTANT FORCE: FORWARD FORCE(WEIGHT) - BACKWARD FORCE
12-(3.19+1.80) = 7N
NOW USE F=MA TO FIND ACCELERATION

7=1.2 x A

A = 7/1.2
A = 5.83 ms^-2 = 6 ms^-2

16)
there are three forces acting on an object as it is lowered in an liquid. gravitational pull(downwards) upthrust(upwards) and viscous drag(upwards)
upthrust is the difference between the (pressure acting on the top of object)- (pressure acing on the bottom)
Viscous drag is the force that a solid experiences as it is lowered down the object due to its viscosity or density( we rather like to say viscosity when referred to a liquid).
since the object is stationary so no viscous drag. gravitional pull equals upthrust.

20)
Use 0.5 * m * v^2 here : 0.5 * (1200 * 1000) * 75^2 = D
thank you bro :)

Reaction score
I have a question regarding paper 3. When drawing a graph based on the readings on our table, if one of our points is far off from the others, after circling it, should we repeat for the reading by crossing out our previous results on the table and just write the new results above the previous one? Or add a new row? Or do we not repeat at all?

Reaction score
I have a question regarding paper 3. When drawing a graph based on the readings on our table, if one of our points is far off from the others, after circling it, should we repeat for the reading by crossing out our previous results on the table and just write the new results above the previous one? Or add a new row? Or do we not repeat at all?

If there's only one point that is deviating from all the other points, you just have to circle this point and indicate that this is the anomalous point. You don't have to repeat it. However, you can't have two or more points that are way off.

Can you answer my question now? :) The one I posted above.