• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hello, for Q5 b I,
Anti nodes are the points where there is maximum displacement of the wave, in this case, they're three antinodes.
Nodes are the points where there is zero displacement, in this case, they're 4 nodes, including 2 nodes at P and Q.
For Ii) look at Wave PQ carefully, you'll see that it's 1.5 lambda.
In part a) you already worked out lambda and got that it's 0.8m
So for length of PQ just substitute and you'll get Length= 1.5 x 0.8 = 1.2 m

For part three, look 2 pages back in this thread and you'll see the explanation with an animation.

It is?? Can you please link me the post please! cant find it! :(

Reaction score
Smaller radius means smaller force, and hence smaller acceleration.
It will be of the same shape, below the original curve :)
thanks a lot :). I am still confused but. Correct me if i am wrong...doesnt smaller radius means smaller resisting forece...hence smaller deceleration?? and also higher terminal velocity reached....???

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey,
So question 4 (b) (i) is the area between the two lines, because that is the energy lost :)
For 4 (b) (ii), you need to find the area between the two lines, by counting squares.
Hope that helps.

All the best.

can you please tell me how to find the area by counting square

Reaction score
Hello for the ripple tank question 5 c,

They asked us to draw and explain, you need to draw the ripple tank and label, you need to show a light source and label it, and draw a screen and also you need to tell them that you use a video camera to observe the waves.

For 5b, if you look at the wave T1, you'll see that 1 Wavelength is 6 blocks.
We know that 1 Wavelength is 360 degrees.
It's given that T2 lags 60 degrees behind.
So we do, 360---> 6 blocks
60-----> ? Blocks

So this means that t2 lags behind t1 by one block.
When you draw t2 it has to have the same Amplitude A as of T1
Superposition principal : When two waves meet, total displacement is the vector sum of the individual displacements of the waves.

If I have any mistakes someone correct me :D Good luck on tomorrow's Physics P2 guys :D

when i drew th wave i got my amplitude as
i)0.5A
ii)-A
iii)-1.5A
my first answer was correct but the other two are wrong according to the mark scheme.. could uplease explain! :(

Reaction score
explain this pls
The effect resistance will be less in parallel when the resistance in R1 is zero, but for the resistance to be at a minimum in series, R1 should have the greatest possible resistance ie 400 ohms so that the effective resistance if R2 will be relatively less, hence decreasing the pd across it
BTW this was one confusing question :eek:

Reaction score
The effect resistance will be less in parallel when the resistance in R1 is zero, but for the resistance to be at a minimum in series, R1 should have the greatest possible resistance ie 400 ohms so that the effective resistance if R2 will be relatively less, hence decreasing the pd across it
BTW this was one confusing question :eek:
But for the effective resistance to remain constant, the resistance of R2 in parallel has to be greater than than in series

Reaction score