• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Yeah, I generally keep my answer in 3 s.f, whether they ask ask for s.f or not :p
And in many of the m.s answers are in 3s.f :)
I have been saying this guy the exact same thing for like hours, he is so worried about s.f.
Will the examiners cut marks for our answers s.f. not being the same as m.s s.f.?

And it was 50 50 for me some questions in papers are to 2 others are to 3 sometimes within the same question different parts!!!

So now this is from CIE SALLAYBUS:

Mathematical requirements:
take account of accuracy in numerical work and handle calculations so that significant figures are
neither lost unnecessarily nor carried beyond what is justified.

For Practical Assessment only:
Table of results: calculated quantities
Candidates should be able to:
• calculate other quantities from their raw data
• use the correct number of significant figures for these calculated quantities.
Except where they are produced by addition or subtraction, calculated quantities should be given to
the same number of significant figures (or one more than) the measured quantity of least accuracy.
For example, if values of a potential difference and of a current are measured to 2 and 4 significant
figures respectively, then the corresponding resistance should be given to 2 or 3 significant figures,
but not 1 or 4. The number of significant figures may, if necessary, vary down a column of values for
a calculated quantity.
If you want go check for your self! here: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_y14_sy.pdf
Are you ok now. Calm down!

Reaction score
I have been saying this guy the exact same thing for like hours, he is so worried about s.f.

So now this is from CIE SALLAYBUS:

Mathematical requirements:
take account of accuracy in numerical work and handle calculations so that significant figures are
neither lost unnecessarily nor carried beyond what is justified.

For Practical Assessment only:
Table of results: calculated quantities
Candidates should be able to:
• calculate other quantities from their raw data
• use the correct number of significant figures for these calculated quantities.
Except where they are produced by addition or subtraction, calculated quantities should be given to
the same number of significant figures (or one more than) the measured quantity of least accuracy.
For example, if values of a potential difference and of a current are measured to 2 and 4 significant
figures respectively, then the corresponding resistance should be given to 2 or 3 significant figures,
but not 1 or 4. The number of significant figures may, if necessary, vary down a column of values for
a calculated quantity.
If you want go check for your self! here: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_y14_sy.pdf
Are you ok now. Calm down!
Yaar, it's obvious if he can't get satisfactory answer, it's not his fault :p Now he will see by himself, and will be sure :)