• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
how is no of photons = power / energy of photon?
Each photon contributes to the total power, so power =n * energy of photon
it also depends on rate so the question here matters. bc its not a rule u have to know
Is the power produced in a cell equal to the the total power in the circuit?
Its equal to current through main circuit or cell * Potential difference across cell.

Reaction score
Each photon contributes to the total power, so power =n * energy of photon
it also depends on rate so the question here matters. bc its not a rule u have to know

Its equal to current through main circuit or cell * Potential difference across cell.
By p.d across cell you mean the terminal p.d right?

Reaction score
w11 QP 41
Question 4)a)i) Mark scheme says its becuase theres zero field strength inside spheres. What does they are "conductors" mean and how does that prove it?

Reaction score
w11 QP 41
Question 4)a)i) Mark scheme says its becuase theres zero field strength inside spheres. What does they are "conductors" mean and how does that prove it?
free charges in a good conductor reside only on the surface... the free charge inside the conductor is zero. So the field in it is caused by charges on the surface. Since charges are of the same nature and distribution is uniform, the electric fields cancel each other..
also that electric flux =0 Furthermore, electric flux = electric field * area. Since area cannot be zero, electric field is zero

Reaction score
Thanks but I dont get this, somehow. :/
the diagram has two vertical bars carrying resistors ..the left one has 2 resistors and right one has 3
switch is connected to the left bar with 2 resistors and the negative terminal is connected to the top resistor in left bar ( encircled)
when switch is opened
for - terminal :- pd would b divided between both resistors and top resistor will hav a pd of 1.5 V so V- = 1.5V
for + terminal the current flows through the right bar with 3 resistors in series
as there is a total pd of 3V shown in the diag each resistor will receive 1 V
the positive terminal is connected to the bottom 2 resistors only not the top one in the right bar (encircled)
so therefore, the potential across V+ (positive terminal) would b 2*(1) = 2 V
thus, Vout = (V+ - V-) = 2- 1.5 = +0.5V
phy doubt.png
when the switch is closed:-
current flows through switch S not the resistor thus, V- receives 3V pd
and V+ remains 2 V as before
so Vout = 2-3 = -1V thus, output is negative

Reaction score
the diagram has two vertical bars carrying resistors ..the left one has 2 resistors and right one has 3
switch is connected to the left bar with 2 resistors and the negative terminal is connected to the top resistor in left bar ( encircled)
when switch is opened
for - terminal :- pd would b divided between both resistors and top resistor will hav a pd of 1.5 V so V- = 1.5V
for + terminal the current flows through the right bar with 3 resistors in series
the positive terminal is connected to the bottom 2 resistors only not the top one in the right bar (encircled)
View attachment 60337
THANKS I GOT IT NOW. :3

Reaction score
free charges in a good conductor reside only on the surface... the free charge inside the conductor is zero. So the field in it is caused by charges on the surface. Since charges are of the same nature and distribution is uniform, the electric fields cancel each other..
also that electric flux =0 Furthermore, electric flux = electric field * area. Since area cannot be zero, electric field is zero
And they act as point charges because the field from the further surface and the field from the closer surface, average to become as if its centred?

Reaction score
when switch is opened
View attachment 60337
when switch is opened
View attachment 60337

Does Physicsref have the diode orientation wrong for this question?
Red diode should light up when switch is open so when Vout is positive, the orientation, therefore should be forward biased, to let the current pass through, no?

Reaction score
The question mentions that there is an error of 2% in calibration so the error in decay can only be 8%.
I didn't get the exact answer but I tried :p
1) How did we get delta N/ N? I solved
A= delta N / delta T
decay constant = (From A= lambda*N) so lambda = delta N / (delta N* delta T)
is this wrong????
2) why would it have to decay by 8%? I get the percentage error is added, so its 10% - 2%, but I dont get why this 8% is the percentage of decay

Reaction score
HOW DO I SORT MY SIGNIFICANT FIGURES
LIKE IN JUNE 09 9B, HE HAS DAYS IN 2 SF
WHY?
Do I lose marks if I write it to 3 s.f? 231 vs 230
mark scheme always rounds up or down im not sure when to round and when to give exact answer

Reaction score
Does Physicsref have the diode orientation wrong for this question?
Red diode should light up when switch is open so when Vout is positive, the orientation, therefore should be forward biased, to let the current pass through, no?
the que states that red LED lights up when the door is opened
when the door is opened as stated in the first part Vout is positive...so current flows from v+
...and for V- ...the switch is closed ...door is closed so the current flows from switch through v-

Last edited:
Reaction score
1) How did we get delta N/ N? I solved
A= delta N / delta T
decay constant = (From A= lambda*N) so lambda = delta N / (delta N* delta T)
is this wrong????
2) why would it have to decay by 8%? I get the percentage error is added, so its 10% - 2%, but I dont get why this 8% is the percentage of decay
λN = dN/dt
dN / N = -λdt
t=0 when N=N and t=t when N= No
nw apply limits of N and No across dN/N = limits across -λ of o and t ...and solve