• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
The electric field produces forces on the electrons of the atoms in air. This causes ionization of the atoms (ie the e- are stripped off the atoms) which makes the air conducting.

View attachment 59368
I could do these.
View attachment 59369
Doubt in c part. unsuccessful in doing this. :/
The surface of the sphere may not be smooth - at certain points the radius will be smaller thus potential is higher than the average potential.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
View attachment 59373
View attachment 59374
Part (c) May be I know but IDK how to explain it. :/ opposite charges repel thats what all I have to say :(
This is similar to your first doubt above
The air near the sphere becomes conducting since as the electric breaks down of air occurs, it strips off e- from the atoms. The +ve ions and e- move in opposite directions since this is ionization.

Reaction score
The electric field produces forces on the electrons of the atoms in air. This causes ionization of the atoms (ie the e- are stripped off the atoms) which makes the air conducting.

The surface of the sphere may not be smooth - at certain points the radius will be smaller thus potential is higher than the average potential.
How do u know this stuff :( Its not in our chapter. :/

Reaction score
It just says -ve sign not required ... so even if you put it it won't be wrong :p
graph:
zero E till r
then a curve of decreasing gradient which never touches the x axis
it's zero till r since no charges reside inside the sphere
and as r increases E decreases
Please draw the graph, I didnt got it. :(

Reaction score
part a
View attachment 59344
Half life is 2.6
At t=0 iron is 0
At t=2.6 Mg has decayed to half it's initial value so iron has gained this much
At t = 5.2 Mg has decayed to half it's value at t=2.6 so iron has gained half it's value at t=2.6
Since at 2.6hrs we have taken 2 boxes, half of it will be 1 box
continue for the half lives and join the points to get a curve

Part b
http://physics-ref.blogspot.in/2014/10/physics-9702-doubts-help-page-4.html
that was very helpful indeed thank u so muchh :)

Reaction score
This is similar to your first doubt above
The air near the sphere becomes conducting since as the electric breaks down of air occurs, it strips off e- from the atoms. The +ve ions and e- move in opposite directions since this is ionization.
I never knew about this ionization thing. Is it a part of chapter?