• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
strange question o_O okay here goes remember that maxima and minima are formed at alternating points for e.g if n=1 is maxima then n=3,5,7 can only be used for the n values the angle and grating are the same so dsinO is a constant and nλ should be equal to it so just put in the n values in that and find the corresponding wavelenght for this question n=3 gives 417nm so 420nm to 2 s.f hope this helped

Reaction score
strange question o_O okay here goes remember that maxima and minima are formed at alternating points for e.g if n=1 is maxima then n=3,5,7 can only be used for the n values the angle and grating are the same so dsinO is a constant and nλ should be equal to it so just put in the n values in that and find the corresponding wavelenght for this question n=3 gives 417nm so 420nm to 2 s.f hope this helped
Elaborate a bit more, and have a gaps PLEASE :)

Reaction score
Thank u .. But a bit of more elaboration would be just perfect! Please
Thank u :)

Reaction score

I was stuck in this for a while because i forgot that i was doing physics, i was using mechanics xD

Well you can use two ways, 2gs=v^2-u^2, or K.E lost = P.E gained (Since air resistance is neglected).
Well in the case of 2gh=v^2 - u^2 , here you can use the values of g = -9.8 [because it is going upwards], v= 0 [because at max height the velocity is 0] , u=16 [given]
And easily get the value of h,

Or
Using K.E = P.E -------- K.E = 8.32, [solved in last question] , and P.E = mgh, with their respective values. g = 9.8 , m = 0.065, Solve and you will get the answer.

Reaction score
I was stuck in this for a while because i forgot that i was doing physics, i was using mechanics xD

Well you can use two ways, 2gs=v^2-u^2, or K.E lost = P.E gained (Since air resistance is neglected).
Well in the case of 2gh=v^2 - u^2 , here you can use the values of g = -9.8 [because it is going upwards], v= 0 [because at max height the velocity is 0] , u=16 [given]
And easily get the value of h,

Or
Using K.E = P.E -------- K.E = 8.32, [solved in last question] , and P.E = mgh, with their respective values. g = 9.8 , m = 0.065, Solve and you will get the answer.
sorry but i asked for b(ii) part ,the question which asked for ratio of P.E and K.E

Reaction score
Thank u .. But a bit of more elaboration would be just perfect! Please
Thank u :)

since "d" and sin(θ) are constant we can answer this question only by substituting values in "n" an "λ"
In part ii) we have n=2 and λ=625 nm so we can find the value of constant nλ which will help us to answer this question
nλ= 2*625=1250

Now lets put different values of n,
when n=1 we get corresponding wavelength as 1250nm
when n=3, λ=417
when n=4, λ=312.5

Since the wavelength of visible light is from 7*10^-7 to 4*10^-7 m
the only answer in range is 417nm (420nm to 2d.p)

Hope it helps:)

Reaction score