• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Guys could anyone explain why The answer is D?
View attachment 63335
Bro it is because during electrolysis of aq NaCl , H+ ions discharge at cathode , and Cl- ions discharge at anode , leaving behind Na+ at cathode and OH- at anode. Na is basic , alkaline metal , so gives UI purple color when reacts with OH- ions to form NaOH , while nothing is left an anode now , so no color change there

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bro it is because during electrolysis of aq NaCl , H+ ions discharge at cathode , and Cl- ions discharge at anode , leaving behind Na+ at cathode and OH- at anode. Na is basic , alkaline metal , so gives UI purple color , wyl OH is colorless , so naturally would give colorless result .
By OH i mean Oxygen bcz some oxygen molecules also discharge

Last edited:
Reaction score
U seem confused or is it I who is confused.I think that Na+ is in the solution so it is to be detected from both indicators help me

c
How can it b indicated by two indicators ? If we drop some methyl orange for e.g , the color at cathode should change from orange to yellow right ? It would change cz Na++OH-:NaoH , it an alkali , so it would give a positive test for an alkali

Reaction score
How can it b indicated by two indicators ? If we drop some methyl orange for e.g , the color at cathode should change from orange to yellow right ? It would change cz Na++OH-:NaoH , it an alkali , so it would give a positive test for an alkali
The colour at the anode should also change because NaOH is formed in both sides(its the solution) and they said in each electrode so I think they are talking about the gases