• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can u tell me the difference between e.m.f and p.d?
Emf is the work done by any electrical source, to drive a one unit charge around a circuit
Emf is a force that transfers the current throughout the circuit, and even transmits it inside the cell. It remains constant
Potential difference, however, is the the amount of potential energy per unit of charge between two points. It is varies throughout the circuit

Reaction score
can u solve ques o/n 08 31 ques 2(a) and (b)...........thanks in advance!
2(a) is just basic stuff
we have to choose two masses so that their ratio may be 12:8(3:2) 8:4(2:1) or 12:4(3:1) this is because we only have 3 holes on either side at fixed distances
take whatever ratio you like, in this case 3:2
take a mass ill take 600g as it is the highest i have to place this in resprect to 3
so 600*2/3 =400 the other mass i need to take is 400
600g is to be placed at second dot on either side and the 400g is to be placed at the third dot on the side opposite to 600g

pls wait till i solve (B)

Reaction score
Part (b) when we hang both the masses we will check wether the disc rotates or not if the disc remains in its position and does not rotate to either side then the net moment is zero........
You are welcome to ask any other question :)

Reaction score
Part (b) when we hang both the masses we will check wether the disc rotates or not if the disc remains in its position and does not rotate to either side then the net moment is zero........
You are welcome to ask any other question :)
Thanks alot.......Giving p3 and p1 tomorrow?

Reaction score
Can u explain them too?!
PART(C)
look the first mass i chose was 600 and i placed it at the second dot which means 8 cm from the pivot
so, 600*8 = 4800
the second one was 400 and it was placed at third dot therefore, 400*12= 4800
1 marks is for both the moments and one is for the fact that they are equal

Reaction score
InshaAllah! Best of Luck!
here you go.....
PART(D)
the two masses we chose were 600g and 400g, both of them are acting downwards
first we convert these to newtons, but for that they must be in kg so 600g=0.6kg and 400g=0.4kg
we multiply both by 10 to get their weights (forces) 0.6kg=6N and 0.4kg=4N, so until now we have a total of 10N force acting downwards but we know that the disc also has a mass which is 200g=0.2kg=2N, therefore now the downward forces are equal to 12N,
Thus we know that 12N is the force acting on the pivot :p

Reaction score
here you go.....
PART(D)
the two masses we chose were 600g and 400g, both of them are acting downwards
first we convert these to newtons, but for that they must be in kg so 600g=0.6kg and 400g=0.4kg
we multiply both by 10 to get their weights (forces) 0.6kg=6N and 0.4kg=4N, so until now we have a total of 10N force acting downwards but we know that the disc also has a mass which is 200g=0.2kg=2N, therefore now the downward forces are equal to 12N,
Thus we know that 12N is the force acting on the pivot :p
there is no need to mention anything about upward forces = downward forces because the asked about force acting ON the pivot not force EXERTED by the pivot
Thanks alot!!!!........You r really good at physics!!(y)