• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Phys p12 and Chem p12- 9th and 10th June,2015 Tips!

How much do you score in p1s of both subjects?

• 34-36

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • 30-33

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • 27-29

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • 24-26

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • 20-23

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Phy P1: There are 7-8 'free' questions (Units, phases of matter,nuclear). Make sure you don't make a mistake in these. Some concepts are tested again and again with slight variations like Young Modulus, thermistors, inelastic collisions etc so look for patterns in the questions. Remember the formulas so you don't waste time recalling them.

Chem P1: I'm not taking Chem P1 this session but I found this as the hardest AS paper along with Phy P2 in my subjects (Maths, Phy & Chem). Again there are concepts which are repeated (Isomers,, type of organic reaction, ionization energy etc). Several concepts can be included in one question so learn how to tackle these questions. The last 10 are the hardest so make sure you leave enough time for these. Alternatively, you can do these at the start.

Always mark any question which you are not 100% sure of. When you are done with the paper review these and those which you got wrong. Look at the question that why did you get it wrong and how you need to avoid the mistake. Nearly all mistakes fall into four categories:
1. Content issue: You didn't know what to do as you didn't know the material.
Way to avoid these: Look up the material from where it was tested.
2. Comprehension issue: You weren't sure what the question was asking.
Way to avoid these: Re-read the question and underline the key points.
3. Time issue: You were running out of time.
Way to avoid these: If you're spending way more time on a question, skip it. Come back to it at the end and try to interpret the question what exactly is it asking.
4. Careless errors: These are the most frustrating ones.
Way to avoid these: Re-check all your answers at the end including the supposedly easy ones.

The first few questions on a topic are usually easy. Don't waste too much time on the difficult ones so you have to guess on the easier ones.
Usually all the information provided is important to answer a question. If you're doing a question without all of the information, you're probably wrong.
If you feel you don't remember many things to answer questions, do 1-2 papers with your notes/book open, but not more than this. This way you'll get the idea which things are usually essential to answer questions.
Don't waste too much time filling the answers but also make sure they are properly filled in. The best way I found to do this was to fill the answer in chunks. After doing all the questions from one page, I filled all the answers from that page and so on. Also, make sure you have filled the right answer for the right questions, especially when you have skipped a question. Otherwise, this can result in a great loss of marks.

Good luck :)
OMG dude thanks a lot!!! This is pretty helpful.... Yep i marked the ones that were difficult and found out that they were the only ones, which I got wrong in my whole ppr... So their is a lil relief that I know which qstn im doing wrong. But there is another issue, i am really bad in making "tukka". My "tukka works like 1correct ans out of 9qstns.... I cant accidentally makr the correct option :(

Reaction score
OMG dude thanks a lot!!! This is pretty helpful.... Yep i marked the ones that were difficult and found out that they were the only ones, which I got wrong in my whole ppr... So their is a lil relief that I know which qstn im doing wrong. But there is another issue, i am really bad in making "tukka". My "tukka works like 1correct ans out of 9qstns.... I cant accidentally makr the correct option :(
Haha you're welcome! Mark the topics from which you are getting most of the questions wrong and focus on those.
It's better to know how to do questions but tukka is last resort. Can you give me some examples of questions you got wrong?

Reaction score
For 21 obviously because The water is falling down or in other words decreasing in height so it loses gpe. Secondly in a turbine water is converted to steam. This increases the molecular separation of the molecules of water and hence increases the elastic potential energy

Reaction score
Haha you're welcome! Mark the topics from which you are getting most of the questions wrong and focus on those.
It's better to know how to do questions but tukka is last resort. Can you give me some example of questions you got wrong?
Like the ones on first page... Just silly mistakes.... Plus my momentum chapter is too weak...

Reaction score
For 21 obviously because The water is falling down or in other words decreasing in height so it loses gpe. Secondly in a turbine water is converted to steam. This increases the molecular separation of the molecules of water and hence increases the elastic potential energy
But he asked before water entering the turbine... Between X and Y! This is what confuses me.

Reaction score
Hmm..you can then answer the question by elimination. It can't be the last one as it defies law of energy. Both sources of energy can't be lost. I guess I get what you're saying. Let me think

Reaction score
Like the ones on first page... Just silly mistakes.... Plus my momentum chapter is too weak...
I think you've already gotten how to do these so I'll just focus on the 'tukka'.

For the table ones like 36, you can see that 24 is mentioned two times and so is break of negative wire in cable. D mentions both of these so I'd go with D if I didn't know anything about this one. If this question was different and I knew 24 was wrong, I'd go with B as it mentions negative wire which is a more common choice than positive. This doesn't work every time but this is the safe method when you cannot find a way to tackle the problem.

For 21, you know GPE cannot increase so you'll guess within 3 options which raises your probability to get the right answer.

Another thing, the questions which test proportionality like the resistivity questions, write the formula and do every part separately. This way, you'll reduce the chance of an error.
For example: Length of a wire is doubled and diameter is halved. You have to find the change in resistance.
First write the formula, then calculate the effect due to length. Resistance will be 2R due to this. Then calculate the effect due to diameter. It will increase to 4R. Then multiply both to calculate the overall effect.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think you've already gotten how to do these so I'll just focus on the 'tukka'.

For the table ones like 36, you can see that 24 is mentioned two times and so is break of negative wire in cable. D mentions both of these so I'll go with D if I didn't know anything about this one. If this question was different and I knew 24 was wrong, I'd go with B as it mentions negative wire which is a more common choice than positive. This doesn't work every time but this is the safe method when you cannot find a way to tackle the problem.

For 21, you know GPE cannot increase so you'll guess within 3 options which raises your probability to get the right answer.

Another thing, the questions which test proportionality like the resistivity questions, write the formula and do every part separately. This way, you'll reduce the chance of an error.
For example: Length of a wire is doubled and diameter is halved. You have to find the change in resistance.
First write the formula, then calculate the effect due to length. Resistance will be 2R due to this. Then calculate the effect due to diameter. It will increase to 4R. Then multiply both to calculate the overall effect.
Wow MASHAALLAH your blessed with a lot of knowledge... God Bless You :)
Thanks for ur help... I guess ur rite... I ahud have done this... Maybe this might increase my score
Thanks Big Time :)
Hmm..you can then answer the question by elimination. It can't be the last one as it defies law of energy. Both sources of energy can't be lost. I guess I get what you're saying. Let me think
Yep... I found elimination method helpful :/

Reaction score
Many of my frnds said they know the ans is B but dont know its reason properly xD
Did u do MJ/2014/12 OMG ppr was damn lengthy and tricky
Why CIE do this to us poor lil creatures? :/
Lol xP
Yea I did that months ago but hve to repeat =/
Ikr they are soo cruel >_<

Anyway for ur first question check solution 61
http://physics-ref.blogspot.com/2014/11/physics-9702-doubts-help-page-11.html?m=1

Nd for that elastic potential energy - wat I think is this :
See as water flows down towards Y the depth is increasing so will the pressure
The water might be compressed or something like that so it gains elastic pe
I guess it's that but not sure :/

Reaction score
Lol xP
Yea I did that months ago but hve to repeat =/
Ikr they are soo cruel >_<

Anyway for ur first question check solution 61
http://physics-ref.blogspot.com/2014/11/physics-9702-doubts-help-page-11.html?m=1

Nd for that elastic potential energy - wat I think is this :
See as water flows down towards Y the depth is increasing so will the pressure
The water might be compressed or something like that so it gains elastic pe
I guess it's that but not sure :/
I thought only gas compresses and expands
Compression and expansion in liquids is restricted... Water cant be compressed :/
Still didnt get the desired ans :/
Anyways thanks :)
Btw er said that many students made mistake in this gpe qstn... But here everyone knows the correct ans :eek:
That means im screwed :S

Reaction score
I thought only gas compresses and expands
Compression and expansion in liquids is restricted... Water cant be compressed :/
Still didnt get the desired ans :/
Anyways thanks :)
Btw er said that many students made mistake in this gpe qstn... But here everyone knows the correct ans :eek:
That means im screwed :S
yea I was thinking the same but I remember someone explained me this compression thing in some thread
The problem with me is I got the concept that time nd now it's all gone -_-
Oh nd I saw in a book abt this question....the teacher's comment said that there is elastic pe due to pressure differences
Lol I knew the answer becaz I did it before xD
No problem :3
Dw wid practice it's going to be easy....I just started with physics p1 nd ur already scaring me xP
This Chem tuk a long time :/

Reaction score
Liquids can be compressed but very slightly.I think its best to solve that by elimination though.

Reaction score
yea I was thinking the same but I remember someone explained me this compression thing in some thread
The problem with me is I got the concept that time nd now it's all gone -_-
Oh nd I saw in a book abt this question....the teacher's comment said that there is elastic pe due to pressure differences
Lol I knew the answer becaz I did it before xD
No problem :3
Dw wid practice it's going to be easy....I just started with physics p1 nd ur already scaring me xP
This Chem tuk a long time :/
Yep the actual ans is pressure difference but where did this came from? I mean how is it linked to Elastic energy?
Liquids can be compressed but very slightly.I think its best to solve that by elimination though.
Yea they can but not much

Reaction score
Yep the actual ans is pressure difference but where did this came from? I mean how is it linked to Elastic energy?

Yep m driving my finds crazy asking abt it xP
I'm gonna wait till they give me a conclusion xP
There is pressure differences obviously becaz the depth is decreasing from X to Y
Even I don't get how it's related to epe
For now I will go with elimination xD
Dynamite u genius got any idea? :3

Reaction score
Yep m driving my finds crazy asking abt it xP
I'm gonna wait till they give me a conclusion xP
There is pressure differences obviously becaz the depth is decreasing from X to Y
Even I don't get how it's related to epe
For now I will go with elimination xD
Dynamite u genius got any idea? :3
m still nt sure bout that elastic energy part ._. i ll try to ask someone -_-

Reaction score

Increase in pressure means increase in force as cross-sectional area is constant. Increase in force means more strain energy, which is in the form of elastic potential energy.
Not completely sure though.

Reaction score
Increase in pressure means increase in force as cross-sectional area is constant. Increase in force means more strain energy, which is in the form of elastic potential energy.
Not completely sure though.
Isnt this a lil out of our minds? I mean how can someone think this in such a pressure :p