• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

paper 12 chemistry ...

Reaction score
I don't think anyone remembers it. :p Anyway, my paper wasn't really good by my standards, I know I've gotten at least 6 wrong (all due to silly mistakes :\) and I'm pretty sure I will get like 3 or 4 others wrong so I'm hoping to get at least 30 or 31. Hopefully P2 and P34 will be good. :|

Reaction score
The answer was alkane. Now stop the arguement!!
The eff is wrong with you people. IT WAS ALCOHOL. So what your saying is that Alkanes have now started reacting with Na. Whats next Pigs that fly? X was a tertiary Alcohol as it was placed with K2Cr2O7 and removed. They didn't say that orange to green color was observed. The product is the same, An ALCOHOL which reacted with Na but not with 2,4-DNPH and it did not also react with ethanol in the presence of H2SO4 as Alcohol+Alcohol do not react. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

Reaction score
Now i just remember everything:
1> it didnt react with acidified manganate ions
2>it liberated hydrogen gas on reaction with sodium
3>the oxidation product has no reaction with 2-4DNPH
4>it did not react in presence of H+ catalyst with ethanol.

Carboxylic acid is canceled by "4"
Keytone is canceled by "2", ans "3"
Alkane is cancelled by "2" ( quite obvious)
the option was : "an alcohol "...so we assume it is a tertiary alcohol.....which shows all the reactions...........

nd that hemlock one was D........ Nitrogen was incorporated into the 6 atom ring so the starting compound coudnt be A or B as they were cycic...in C it was 1-4......whilde D was 1-5.......so it would produce coniine.......

NOW NO ARGUMENTS..

Reaction score
i think the gt wil be like A=31-33......B=28-29.....as deviation will be low....even weaker candidates will easily make it near 25 thankfully due to the like 10 repeated mcqs........nd the sodium/sulphur one which u could simply see from data booklet.

Reaction score
The eff is wrong with you people. IT WAS ALCOHOL. So what your saying is that Alkanes have now started reacting with Na. Whats next Pigs that fly? X was a tertiary Alcohol as it was placed with K2Cr2O7 and removed. They didn't say that orange to green color was observed. The product is the same, An ALCOHOL which reacted with Na but not with 2,4-DNPH and it did not also react with ethanol in the presence of H2SO4 as Alcohol+Alcohol do not react. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!
Sorry man but u see i never really remembered the question now i remember it and i also chose alcohol sorry my bad in the start :p

Reaction score
does any1 remember dat organic ques for qp11 wid d answers w and x
w and y
x and y
y and z ?
wat ans did u guys put?

Reaction score
I did alkane. I hadnot thought of tertiary alcohol at that time.

Oxidation of alkane makes alcohol.
So I think alkane makes more sense than alcohol. alcohol has a 2/3 probability of getting oxidized.
http://www.uiowa.edu/~c004121/notes/ch12_3.pdf
http://www.chacha.com/question/what...methane-&-kmno4-(potassium-permanganate)-more

there was a compound x which when burned gave co2 and H2O then put in reflux for 1 hour with K2Cr2O7 the distilate was then reacted with sodium giving H2 gas. no reaction with 2,4 dinirtophenylhydrazine and did not make any ester with ethanol with H2SO4 catalyst.
options were
A X is a carboxylic acid
B X is ketone
C X is alcohol * this was ans as tertiary alcohols doesn't react with oxidising agent.
D X is alkane

Courtesy of msohiabch