• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

OXFORD!

Reaction score
Only Core subjects, in my case phy, chem and math. They gave me a conditional offer demanding B in phy, chem and math in A2.

Reaction score
@ Nibz
i cant beleive how she did it. wat i am perplexed about the "called" and "admitted" thing. under what circumstances and conditions do they themselves CALL students from different countries? what is an exceptional result for them? please dont say 23 As. something acheivable.
because, it may sound exceptionally trite, but i dont want to go to my parents saying, 'i always had dreams of going to oxford and i have applied for it so get ready to put bulk sum away to pay for it.'
oxford is expensive. a scholorship maybe? anything?
or should i shun my dream in ever-growing pile of wish box? be straight. AM READY! *bites lips*

Reaction score
shun shun shunananshun!
Boy, you must have 24 A* or 6 world tops or something like that to get scholarships from Oxford. Only then they will call you.
Every person has some limits. I had mine and didn't go abroad, although i got scholarships and all that, but it was inadequate to cover all the expanses. So deal with it. Accept it.

Reaction score
Do you apply to universities, especially foreign universities, with your as level or overall a level grades....coz from what i've heard the a level results are not announced yet when you start applying to universities?????

Reaction score
anythin576 said:
Do you apply to universities, especially foreign universities, with your as level or overall a level grades....coz from what i've heard the a level results are not announced yet when you start applying to universities?????
with AS grades.

1357913579 said:
destineed from which uiversites did you got scolarships
read this post:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9903&hilit=+cambridge

Reaction score
i am a medical student. bummer
*dream broken into million tiny pieces*

Reaction score
ok let me help all of you out here: oxford officially states A*AA for admission in your best 3 A-Level Subjects, however, according to our highly accomplished guidance Councillor's all top universities look for A*A*A* no matter what they state. Come on, this can be easily expected, just as they prefer ED students over EA students no matter what they state. Every institution aims to profit itself, remember that. The process for the USA is long and hard, but, to our relief, A* have a little less importance there as their maximum GPA of 4.0 can be achieved by a combination of A's, so there is no filling into an already full cup. For the UK it involves using the UCAS and writing a personal statement.

FOR OXBRIDGE - one can apply only TO ONE of oxford or cambridge in one session, ie in the coming winter for college in 2012. You cannot apply to both in the same year. They have an earlier UCAS deadline of october, whereas other UK universities have deadlines in January. They require 100+ in TOEFL, DO NOT REQUIRE SAT. Oxford and cambridge are in a range - relatively easy to get into TO impossible to get into. This depends on what subject you are applying for and its popularity level. That being said, you have to give an exam for the MOST popular subjects, called the TSA - Thinkin Skills Assesment, for both oxford or cambridge, [the exam is however administered by cambridge for BOTH uni's], and it is a mod of the CIE's TS subject (9694) and you are NOT allowed calculators in the exam:

Courses Requiring TSA Oxford

University of Oxford (O33)
CV85 Psychology and Philosophy
C830 Experimental Psychology (EP)
LN12 Economics and Management (E&M)
L0V0 Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
link - http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeass ... /tsaoxford (Oxford here, find cambridge yourself)

For other subjects, you can have written supplements. For all of them you may have interviews, but its a MAY because we are international students and they tend to avoid it or make it skype (brush up your spoken english!). This was the easy part, the hard part is there is ALMOST NIL SCHOLARSHIP, as most of them are provided by outside sources like sponsoring institutions, the best of which is RHODES which is awarded to only 80 people per year WORLDWIDE (you do the math.). Oxbridge are realitvely CHEAP for the UK so they do NOT give any scholarships, however some country based scholarship IS available and Nepal is there, so maybe india pakistan is also there. However, they have warned on their site that to apply to this scholarship you have to be a wonder, so think about it. Lack of scholarship is why UK has few international students. Also, since last year's visa law changes for UK, requiring VERY HIGH English proficiency level and bans on student visa holders getting jobs (to protect their LOCAL economy, making international students USELESS in 1 of the most expensive nations on earth) - make me recommend you NOT to try the UK but go USA. also, the UK is VERY conversative for west nations and also their curriculum is said to be very narrow in comparasion to US ones, so while i had plans to apply to oxford, these days im in a doubt and find the US grass to be more greener.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355

http://www.economist.com/node/12814682? ... d=12814682