• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hey fellas, if any of you could help me a little with this super simple question, it would be much appreciated! (y)
When it comes to partial fractions in paper 3, I know how to express a rational fraction as partial fractions when the denominator (bottom part of fraction) is
(ax + b)(cx + d)(ex + f),
OR
(ax + b)(cx + d)²

BUT I wouldn't know how to approach a problem where you have to express a fraction with the denominator
(ax + b)(x²+c²)
as partial fractions.
I'm sure it just a simple step I haven't come across to before, so if anyone could explain this to me it would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks beforehand! Cheers! :)

Reaction score
Hey fellas, if any of you could help me a little with this super simple question, it would be much appreciated! (y)
When it comes to partial fractions in paper 3, I know how to express a rational fraction as partial fractions when the denominator (bottom part of fraction) is
(ax + b)(cx + d)(ex + f),
OR
(ax + b)(cx + d)²

BUT I wouldn't know how to approach a problem where you have to express a fraction with the denominator
(ax + b)(x²+c²)
as partial fractions.
I'm sure it just a simple step I haven't come across to before, so if anyone could explain this to me it would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks beforehand! Cheers! :)

the (ax+b)(x^2+c^2) will become (Ax+B)/x^2+c^2 + C/(ax+b) I guess.. I would like you to confirm this from someone else as well before you start using it :) Link me a question and I will be able to help better.. I don't do well in the question with "in terms of"

Reaction score
Can someone explain how to do Q6 first part?

Attachments

• 9709_w13_qp_32.pdf
    90.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 9709_w13_ms_32.pdf
    490.5 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
okay so method one which in my attachment is 3
is when Not all next to each other lets take an example
3 Blue pens and 4 green
Find the possible arrangements when not ALL green next to each other
we can have it like this
|||||||
but if its method 2 which is in my attachment 4
you cant have it like this you are suppose to have it

||||||| or any other way in which a green is not next to another green
BUT sometime both the methods work when you have
for example 3 blue and 2 green
just because the number is 2 that's why
we have a total of 12 tress lets take tress other than hibiscus
so we have 8 tress
8! diffrenent arrangemnts
coming to the hibiscus tree 4 of them have 9 different places
so
9P4
Multiply them

Reaction score
Hello!

Can you please please help me in this question of Pure Maths 3?

It is question 5. You can just give a brief outline of the solution. I was able to find the derivative of the function and equate it to zero. I got what is on the mark scheme, but from there I couldn't eliminate y to find an equation for x. I just need someone to tell me how to do it in words, I can do the rest. :)

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...S Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s13_qp_32.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...S Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s13_ms_32.pdf