• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
12914704_1156644637693683_655674797_o.jpg
'
12894538_1156644597693687_1450858560_o.jpg

Help please :) thanks

Reaction score
Hello, any kind soul can help me with MJ/13/33/ Question 7 (ii) (the highlighted part) ?

I managed to get the equation before it, but don't know how to show the result from that equation, please help. Thanks ! :)

q.png

Reaction score
Hello, any kind soul can help me with MJ/13/33/ Question 7 (ii) (the highlighted part) ?

I managed to get the equation before it, but don't know how to show the result from that equation, please help. Thanks ! :)

View attachment 59894
Let's say you want to expand:
|z-a|^2
where a is a real number. Your expansion will be:
|z-a|^2 = (z-a).(z-a)* = (z-a).(z*-a*)
Note that since a is real, a* = a. So:
(z-a).(z*-a*) = (z-a).(z*-a) = zz* - az - az* + a^2.

For example:
|z-5|^2 = zz* - 5z - 5z* + 25

Notice that the coefficients of z term and z* term are both -5, and then the constant term is (-5)^2. (Also coefficient of zz* is 1)

Now let's say you wanted to expand:
|z - si|^2,
where si is an imaginary number. Your expansion will be:
|z-si|^2 = (z-si).(z-si)* = (z-si).(z*-(si)*)
Notice that (si)* = -si, (eg (5i)* = -5i). So:
(z-si).(z*-(si)*) = (z-si).(z*+si) = zz* + si.z - si.z* + s^2

For example:
|z-5i|^2 = zz* + 5iz - 5iz* + 25

Notice that the coefficient of z and z* is +5 and -5 respectively. They alternate in sign. Also, the constant term is +s^2 (where s is coefficient of the imaginary term)

So anyhow with enough practice you can learn the above formats and reverse it as if completing the square. So in summary:
|z-a|^2 = zz* - az - az* + a^2
|z - si|^2 = zz* + si.z - si.z* + s^2

So to your question. You have:
zz* - 2iz* + 2iz - 12 = 0 (Note that they have listed the z* term before z term. In my expansion above I did opposite.)
So this matches with:
|z - si|^2 = zz* + si.z - si.z* (+s^2)

We need to provide the s^2 term by adding 2^2=4 and then subtracting it. (just like when completing square):
zz* - 2iz* + 2iz - 12 = 0
zz* - 2iz* + 2iz +4 - 4 - 12 = 0
|z - 2i|^2 - 16 = 0
|z - 2i|^2 = 16
|z - 2i| = 4

Reaction score
also i always dont get exact answer due to rounding in p1 when to round a side or an angle to get exact answer
You can show long decimals as rounded in your working, but you should keep the exact value on your calculator. The only time you should round a number is in your FINAL answer. Or else you'll suffer from premature approximation. Your final answer is in 3 sig figures. If you must round in between, I suggest 5 sig to be safe :)

Reaction score
You can show long decimals as rounded in your working, but you should keep the exact value on your calculator. The only time you should round a number is in your FINAL answer. Or else you'll suffer from premature approximation. Your final answer is in 3 sig figures. If you must round in between, I suggest 5 sig to be safe :)
and angles calculation