• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
upload_2016-1-27_17-36-56.png
Can anyone please solve to find values of A,B and C in these partial fractions ??

[A/(x+1)] + [B/(x+2)] + [C/(4x+3)] = the part ii shown above
So how to find A,B and C?? I can do it with 2 denominators... with the 3 I'm getting it wrong :/
w15-33

Reaction score
View attachment 58988
Can anyone please solve to find values of A,B and C in these partial fractions ??

[A/(x+1)] + [B/(x+2)] + [C/(4x+3)] = the part ii shown above
So how to find A,B and C?? I can do it with 2 denominators... with the 3 I'm getting it wrong :/
w15-33
If your factorization is correct then you should get the correct answers. Take x as -1 then -3/4 and then -2

Reaction score
upload_2016-1-27_17-21-5-png.58987

how to solve?? :p

Reaction score
If your factorization is correct then you should get the correct answers. Take x as -1 then -3/4 and then -2
So do you take x=-1 on both sides and then solve like so: A(x+2)(4x+3) + B(x+1)(4x+3) + C(x+1)(x+2) so that B and C terms become 0 when x=-1 ??

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me as to why the speed in part (iii) would not exceed 20? (The method used to calculate this 20 is assuming a=0............. which is when there is max speed.......... so how is it the least value?)
Capture.PNG
Thnx :D

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me as to why the speed in part (iii) would not exceed 20? (The method used to calculate this 20 is assuming a=0............. which is when there is max speed.......... so how is it the least value?)
View attachment 59004
I haven't read the question in detail, but one thing you say has caught my attention.

Acceleration being zero doesn't mean maximum speed, it could mean either max OR minimum speed.

It's just like the derivative of a function. When it's zero, it represents a total maxima OR minima of the original function. To find out which one it is (Max or Min) you have to do the sign changing test or evaluate the Second Derivative and see it it's greater than or less than zero.

Hope that makes sense.

Reaction score
View attachment 59004

(ii) F = P/V

F ~ 1/V

Since the power is constant, the force is inversely proportional to V. In this situation, the acceleration will only be zero when the forward force will be equal to the resistive force. So in order to achieve this, the forward force must increase. As this will happen, the velocity of the car will decrease; therefore the velocity won't be a maximum when a=0 in this situation. Thus, this value of v is a minimum value here.

Reaction score
I haven't read the question in detail, but one thing you say has caught my attention.

Acceleration being zero doesn't mean maximum speed, it could mean either max OR minimum speed.

It's just like the derivative of a function. When it's zero, it represents a total maxima OR minima of the original function. To find out which one it is (Max or Min) you have to do the sign changing test or evaluate the Second Derivative and see it it's greater than or less than zero.

Hope that makes sense.
Ohhhhhh, Ohkayyyyyy!
Yup that makes sense, though I haven't studied the last part :D

Reaction score
(ii) F = P/V

F ~ 1/V

Since the power is constant, the force is inversely proportional to V. In this situation, the acceleration will only be zero when the forward force will be equal to the resistive force. So in order to achieve this, the forward force must increase. As this will happen, the velocity of the car will decrease; therefore the velocity won't be a maximum when a=0 in this situation. Thus, this value of v is a minimum value here.
Oooooh okay, ryt!
Thnx!!!! :D