• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
View attachment 58958
Parts ii and iii please
For part ii. Rearrange the equation:
sina - ((1.5-cosa)/a)
Put 1 and calculate. Then put 2 and calculate. You will notice a change in the signs of your answer. Second one will be positive and so just write a statement that since the answer is negative when a is 1 and positive when a is greater than 1 then a is by calculation greater than 1

For part iii. Use a1 as 1 and keep calculating like other iterations. Stop when you start getting the same answer on ur calculator. That will be your answer. :)

Reaction score
upload_2016-1-26_13-12-15.png
Parts ii and iii please ... I'm stuck on ii so I can't go onto iii either and the ms is confusing me how to plot it....
upload_2016-1-26_13-13-24.png
Why do we need a bisector for part ii ...
Please can you solve and explain this question? :confused:
Anum96

Reaction score
For part ii. Rearrange the equation:
sina - ((1.5-cosa)/a)
Put 1 and calculate. Then put 2 and calculate. You will notice a change in the signs of your answer. Second one will be positive and so just write a statement that since the answer is negative when a is 1 and positive when a is greater than 1 then a is by calculation greater than 1

For part iii. Use a1 as 1 and keep calculating like other iterations. Stop when you start getting the same answer on ur calculator. That will be your answer. :)
For part ii I'm getting negative for a as 1 and as 2
when a = 1
sin(1) - ((1.5-cos(1))/(1)) = -0.118
when a = 2
sin(2) - ((1.5-cos(2))/(2)) = -0.0487
there is no sign change :/
This is in radian mode btw and even in degree mode there is no sign change :S

Last edited:
Reaction score
For part ii I'm getting negative for a as 1 and as 2
when a = 1
sin(1) - ((1.5-cos(1))/(1)) = -0.118
when a = 2
sin(2) - ((1.5-cos(2))/(2)) = -0.0487
there is no sign change :/
This is in radian mode btw and even in degree mode there is no sign change :S
There should beee. Lol, Wait!

Reaction score
Part i is related to part ii here I guess.
So if you let the number of sixes thrown be X
You need to find out the P(X>=4)
Probabiilty of success is 1/6
probability of failure is 5/6
Just use the binomial formula and you'll get the answer.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Just use your answer to part i. If your answer lies between 2 and 3 use 2 as x1 and just keep solving till you get the same answer thrice.
Thats part iii where it asks to use iterative formula to find value of a :p
How to prove that it's converging to a ?

Reaction score
View attachment 58958
Parts ii and iii please
I cant recall any other method. Maybe ***amd*** can help.
I guess you just need to rearrange
a sin(a) + cos(a) = 1.5
and prove by induction that when a = 1, left-hand-side expression equals 1.38, and when a = 1/2 pi, left-hand-side expression equals 1.57.
As the value of LHS is increasing from a=1 to a=0.5pi, the value of 'a' for which LHS = 1.5 must lie b/w 1 and 0.5pi. 'a' is then greater than 1.
since the graph of 'a sina + cos a' against 'a' is going to be a wavy kinda one, you jest prove that the part of it which lies between a=1 and a=0.5pi is increasing with value of LHS = 1.5 inside it.
http://fooplot.com/#W3sidHlwZSI6MCw...3MDQ5OTk0NiIsIjE0Ljk4NzMyNjk1NDQ5OTk1Il19XQ-- just zoom out and check out the shape of graph *_*

P.S. you should consult examiner report of mark scheme, I am not sure if my method is right or not. This should be acceptable though.