• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
hi everyone, i can't seem to solve this right :/
In mechanical physics the word "threaded" means some kind of thread engagement.
In this question "threaded" simply means that the roughly surfaced rod is inserted into the ring. Here a "common meaning" but not the technical meaning of the word "threaded" is used. I object to such use in physics which is where technical meanings should be given and learned.

To me the 3rd Law of Newton should be the answer to the question. That is, the force of rod on ring should equal 2 N in a direction that is 180° opposite to that shown in diagram.

Suchal Riaz ZaqZainab midha.ch

Reaction score
In this question "threaded" simply means that the roughly surfaced rod is inserted into the ring. Here a "common meaning" but not the technical meaning of the word "threaded" is used. I object to such use in physics which is where technical meanings should be given and learned.

To me the 3rd Law of Newton should be the answer to the question. That is, the force of rod on ring should equal 2 N in a direction that is 180° opposite to that shown in diagram.

I took help from yahoo, but still confused help please to me and sudeep1097 :)

Reaction score
I haven't checked the markscheme but I am pretty sure this is the answer!
yeah well ur answer is ryt and i did the same stuff except that i was confused at the point that...

ln4^4 = 4ln4 right?? from the log rules??

so how can ln4 x 4 be the same thing???

Reaction score
hi everyone, i can't seem to solve this right :/
I took help from yahoo, but still confused help please to me and sudeep1097 :)
don't make the things overly complicated.
the ring is in equilibrium. so the resultant of force is zero. it means that the force exerted by ring on rod is equal and opposite to F. let R be force exerted by ring. here i am assuming that friction is a component of the force R.
on string then ||R|| = 2 N
direction = -120degree from horizontal or 240 degrees from horizontal or 120 degree anticlockwise from rod.

Reaction score
don't make the things overly complicated.
the ring is in equilibrium. so the resultant of force is zero. it means that the force exerted by ring on rod is equal and opposite to F. let R be force exerted by ring. here i am assuming that friction is a component of the force R.
on string then ||R|| = 2 N
direction = -120degree from horizontal or 240 degrees from horizontal or 120 degree anticlockwise from rod.
ty :)

Reaction score
Sorry I was feeling bored to solve part ii that time haha.
OK now,
substituting value of z and simplifying you get. 1 /(2cosθ+2)-2sinθ i
Multiplying by it's conjugate i.e. (2cosθ +2)+2sinθ i and again simplifying we get,
(2cosθ +2+2sinθ i) / 4cos^2θ + 8cosθ + 4 + 4sin^2θ
=numerator/ 8+8cosθ [4cos^2θ + 4sin^2θ = 4]
Now separating the real part only from numerator 2(cosθ +1) / 8(cosθ +1)
Hence real part = 1/4
Thanks man.. much appreciated :)

Reaction score
Thought blocker here are definition of
"thread"(verb):
1- pass (a long, thin object or piece of material) through something and into the required position for use. (used in this question)
2- put (beads or other small objects) on a thread, chain, etc. (what you said)
3- cut a screw thread in or on (a hole, screw, or other object).(irrelevant to math questions)

Reaction score
NOONE IS ANSWERING ME THIS QUESTION AND I REALLY NEED AN EXPLANATION FOR IT (HENCE THE CAPS).
Its Q8(b), I get the diagram part, but dont know how to find the least value.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 9709_w13_qp_32.pdf
    90.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 9709_w13_ms_32.pdf
    490.5 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score

Attachments

• DSC_0080[1].jpg
    DSC_0080[1].jpg
    947.2 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Thought blocker here are definition of
"thread"(verb):
1- pass (a long, thin object or piece of material) through something and into the required position for use. (used in this question)
2- put (beads or other small objects) on a thread, chain, etc. (what you said)
3- cut a screw thread in or on (a hole, screw, or other object).(irrelevant to math questions)
What was this for ?

Reaction score
it is actually a progressive sort of question... take the square of RHS of identity from ii as the LHS is seen to have been squared....
For Modulus questions , i get the two values of X which the questions asks ..
however when i try to write the inequality i dont get it !
is there any rule to write the inequalty because sometimes they give ranges as ans and sometimes ... or ,,,,

Reaction score
it is actually a progressive sort of question... take the square of RHS of identity from ii as the LHS is seen to have been squared....
Thanks a lot mate.
If you don't mind, could you please help me with qn no. 8(ii) of the same paper? Sorry for bothering..

Reaction score

For this.

Reaction score
can someone please help me with Q6 of maths p33 2011 november. I dont get why arg(w^3) = π/4 shouldn't it be -3π/4?