• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Some quetsions come like "write down the matrix representing transformation mapping A into B...." what shud I do there??
Mai(M4!) ?
My Name ?
here is a simple way to do it but you need to be quick
if u have this one for example Q14
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Mathematics (0580)/0580_s12_qp_22.pdf
put points in matrix this way x
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnny
so object matrix 1 2 3
nnnnnnnnnnnn 1 1 2
the image matrix 3 4 7
nnnnnnnnnnnnn 1 1 2
by eyes you will find that y didn't change so the lower row will be (0 1)
x has changed notice that x+2y=new x so the upper row will be (1 2)
so 2x2 matrix = 1 2
nnnnnnnnnnnn 0 1
the 1 is multiplied by x and 2 by y both added together formed the new x
o by x and 1 by y then only y so new y=y

for other transformation they may stay the same so 1 0
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn0 1
or the x and y replace each other as (2,1) to (1,2)
so matrix = 0 1
nnnnnnnnn1 0
if they only change sign then matrix = -1 0
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn0 -1
if they replace each other with other sign matrix = 0 -1
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn -1 0

hope this helps
i know it may seem complicated but you can try it and if u have any question u can always ask(y)

Reaction score
shear means parallel to so shear with y-axis as invariant line means it will move parallel to y-axis so values on y-axis change while the ones on x-axis are the same
the scale factor =-2 is how much it moves to the right or left it is multiplied by the value of the axis that is not the invariant line
so x is the same nnnnnn 1 0
y is changed this way nn-2 1

Reaction score
shear means parallel to so shear with y-axis as invariant line means it will move parallel to y-axis so values on y-axis change while the ones on x-axis are the same
the scale factor =-2 is how much it moves to the right or left it is multiplied by the value of the axis that is not the invariant line
so x is the same 1 0
y is changed this way -2 1
can u solve these 2 quadratic? i tried alot! :eek:

x^2 -1 -3 = 0

n^2 + n = 930

Reaction score
What was the hardest Paper 4 you've ever done? And what do you guys think will be the boundaries this year?
Assalamu alaikum :D
lol dont worry about boundaries. just pray to Allah s.w.t . Insha Allah all will be good. practice hard and pray alot :)
my prayers r with u all :D
best of luck. remember me in ur prayers :')

Reaction score
Can't do question 3 (c) i and ii ~ M/J - 43 - 2013!!View attachment 42101
so u have figured out the equations. now u have to plot them in. how do we plot them? look bro each line will be intersecting the x and y axes. so for every line u have to do same. at x-axis the value of y coordinate will be zero. so in the equation put y as zero and calculate the point. it will be (x,0)
and then at y.axis the value of x will be zero. so in the equation substitute x with 0 and calculate y value. u will this point. (0,y) now u will get two for each equation so plot both points and draw a straight line with a ruler and do same with others :D

Reaction score
for
Can't do question 3 (c) i and ii ~ M/J - 43 - 2013!!View attachment 42101
(ii) part u have to look for the ans in the unshaded region. that is the one required. how do we shade? draw a line according to the equation if its only > or < sign draw a dotted line if = or greater/lesser than equals to, than draw a full line :)
so lesser means region under that line is the region required. so all thing above that line shade it because its unwanted. now do same for all equations :3
and then look for different points in the unshaded region and find the biggest point :3